The online racing simulator
Pitstop- Have they or havent they?
Basically, came up with an idea for this a while back, and have only now decided to sit here and type it out (Well, i did last night, but my dad turned off the router downstairs ).

Ive also had a quick (but detailed ) search to see if anything similar had been suggested , but nothing that i could find..

Basically, when racing in a race with pitstops, i find it difficult to keep up with who has pitted and who hasnt, especially in the heat of a race. What i am suggesting is possibly a tick box next to a racers name, with a tick or a cross in it which will show whether they have pitted or not. I mean it tells you whether you have pitted or not in F12, so i assume it shouldnt be too difficult to implement. This, i think anyway, will be extremely helpful in all types of races.

A second suggestion (Maybe i should go on Dragons Den :P) i have basically came from a problem i had at the weekend when racing in the 100 Lapper. I set my fuel addition at the beginning of the race to 50% thinking it would add 50% fuel. But, to my suprise, it only fills it up to 50%, so im suggesting that we can have an option which allows us to choose how fuel is ADDED rather than the level it is FILLED to.

Cheers.
#2 - dev
Suggestion one: +1

Suggestion two: -1, to confusing.. would it fill up 50% of the whole tank or 50% of the space you have in the tank?
Quote from dev :
Suggestion two: -1, to confusing.. would it fill up 50% of the whole tank or 50% of the space you have in the tank?

There's a recent thread about this somewhere down there. It's much simpler than the current system actually, we just need to start working in litres rather than percentages.
Quote from dev :Suggestion two: -1, to confusing.. would it fill up 50% of the whole tank or 50% of the space you have in the tank?

I think it should fill up percentage of tank capacity, so if you have 25% left in tank and fill up 30%, you tank will be 55% full.

Although I agree, a much simpler solution is to work in litres.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I don't really see why litres are any better. At the end of the day they're just numbers, and mean exactly the same thing. Unless you remember the mpg of every car at every circuit, then the number is ultimately arbitrary.

But LFS should have a 'fill to x' option and an 'add x' option, so everyone is happy.
Quote from tristancliffe :I don't really see why litres are any better. At the end of the day they're just numbers, and mean exactly the same thing. Unless you remember the mpg of every car at every circuit, then the number is ultimately arbitrary.

But LFS should have a 'fill to x' option and an 'add x' option, so everyone is happy.

Yes, but it's to avoid the rather odd "Does add 50% mean 50% of a full tank or 50% of what I've got in the tank at the moment, or 50% of the empty space in my tank?" confusion, (see above). If you say add 25 litres there's not much to puzzle over.
Besides which, I don't imagine real teams work in percentages do they?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Of course not, but they know the fuel tank size, they'll have a good estimate of fuel usage, and they have to pay for it. And they have more time than we do to work out what they need - frequently there is two weeks between races, which is more than enough to guesstimate you're fuelling. We have 30 seconds to do it, and we change cars all the time, so % seems reasonable to me.

I don't think I've EVER been confused by LFS's fuel system - I just assumed it meant fill to x somehow, but I'm obviously in the minority, and possibily slightly insane for having such thought processes. For me, add x would just confuse me, hence the need to retain two options (one for me, one for everyone else ).
Quote from tristancliffe :Of course not, but they know the fuel tank size, they'll have a good estimate of fuel usage, and they have to pay for it. And they have more time than we do to work out what they need - frequently there is two weeks between races, which is more than enough to guesstimate you're fuelling. We have 30 seconds to do it, and we change cars all the time, so % seems reasonable to me.

Fair comment, I wasn't being argumentative, it was more of an observation. I always have to check F12 to see my fuel consumption, so whether it was 1.5% per lap, or 0.8litres per lap, it wouldn't make much difference to me. In fact, I'd be fine with it staying in % too. The change of units suggestion is to appease the confused. If there were an option to choose % or litres, I might happily leave it at %.

Quote :
I don't think I've EVER been confused by LFS's fuel system - I just assumed it meant fill to x somehow, but I'm obviously in the minority, and possibily slightly insane for having such thought processes. For me, add x would just confuse me, hence the need to retain two options (one for me, one for everyone else ).

I have never been confused either. Just infuriated. It's inflexible and clumsy. Pit when you have planned to and it works a treat.
I wasn't being argumentative either Maybe I'm just good at pitting when I planned to, or doing the mental arithmetic down the pitlane, but I'm not resisting change, just resisting the removal of the previous option

And as you say (and I said in rather more words), if it's litres or % it doesn't make any difference, and it won't make any more REAL sense to anyone. Perhaps litres is just less scary/technical looking and is therefore more easily digestible by the 'Great Unwashed'?
Get's my vote.

Long term supported of +ADD fuel type pit stop system too.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Quick straw poll: Did everybody, when first encountering the LFS pit stop fuel worky-outy thing, think that you were setting the amount of fuel to add to the tank? I know I did. The current system just doesn't seem intuitive.

Yep! Was a short race, needed 21.6% from start to finish according to F12. Just to practice pit stopping and setting fuel loads via F12 I started with about 15% thinking I'll pit around halfway and add another 10%. But I had to pit early due to an accident. I thought the 10% would be added on top of what was left so I could finish the race. Funnily, the pit stop timing was such that I ran out of fuel on the uphill bit before the line on BLGP on the last lap . It's definitely not intuitive.

If I'm forced to come in early on a one-stop strategy I have to recalculate the F12 setting to finish the race. Whereas if it's 'add x' it doesn't matter when I come in, I don't have to change anything. I don't see any benefit of using 'fill to x', maybe it's just the way my heads wired

I don't have a problem with using percent or litres or pints , but I agree with sinbad that percentages can be ambiguous.
Quote from i30i3i3y :I don't see any benefit of using 'fill to x', maybe it's just the way my heads wired

I do. That's why there should be an option, "add x" or "fill to x". The way I think is "i have 5 laps left, it says 2%fuel per lap, so I fill it to 15%". It is easier for me like that.
after the race, there's a column showing the number of pit stops done by each driver.

It would be nice to have that column during the race with the split times.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG