The online racing simulator
Look left/right
(32 posts, started )
Look left/right
It was suggested I make a new thread for this, so here goes:

how about when you look right/left LFS points your head directly at the nearest car in that direction, and if there is none, does as it does now.

But not before all the other stuff I PM'd for !
Thats a great idea!
#3 - ORION
Hm if the head movement is quite fast, one might be confused where the car actually is. Needs to be tested I guess.
+1
Though I'd like to limit the view radius, I think we shouldn't see 360 degrees around us, like we do now. Maybe 240 or something would be better. The rest is in the mirrors.
#5 - Woz
+1

have an option so you can switch between current and new system.

look left should only track cars on the left side and look right to the right.
+1 cause it sucks when they are in the A pillar blindspot area, and no camera shows that area to wel
#7 - Chaos
i really don't need this, but for some it could be useful... i use instant look, 90 degrees FOV so the only blindspots are in the places where the body of the car blocks the view...

so +1, but leave it as an option...
#8 - dev
+1
+1 I was only thinking of this yesterday. The current look left/right function is quite disorientating (even when set to smooth look). I would like a user-definable look angle, so instead of looking 90 degrees left, I can set it to look 45 degrees left (and still see something of what's going on in front).

Better still - I'd like the function to be "look left by xx degrees and increase the FOV by yy degrees". This makes some sense because when you're racing, you're often focussing on various points in the middle/far distance to judge turning/braking points, when you "look left/right" you're regaining awareness of your short distance environment and so are focussing your attention on a wider field of view.

Ed
How about just improving the mirrors?
+1

Although I'd like to be able to define focus points, so I can set where I want to be looking when I press a particular button. Maybe this can be extended so you can store a couple (more than the three available now) of focus points for each car.
+1
I don't really need it, I can see all I need to by tapping the instant 90 degree view turn. But, it sounds like something that could be useful for many people so +1 from me too
I agree with the look at car, but also there should be a "lock on" button which would basically set it to look at that car when it is at the line of sight. Useful for safety cars in leagues and stuff, side by side battles etc. etc.
Quote from Spinjack :How about just improving the mirrors?

A movable side mirror would be nice as well as adjusting the angle of it. I ride in cockpit with 75fov and in some cars the side mirror is barely visible!
+1 we need that
Quote from kingfishersa :A movable side mirror would be nice as well as adjusting the angle of it. I ride in cockpit with 75fov and in some cars the side mirror is barely visible!

+1 for adjustable side mirrors
excellent love it
YE YEA... Why don´t we put straight away a radar to the cars and ear blowing soun alarm to cause if there´s a car near. Why just dont learn to use what we hav!
I don't like the idea of having the look left/right button look at the closest car as it can be confusing. Under Becky's system, you wouldn't know how far you've turned your neck, so you wouldn't be able to quickly tell how far left/right you were looking. This would be very disorienting IMHO.
Quote from Becky Rose :It was suggested I make a new thread for this, so here goes:

how about when you look right/left LFS points your head directly at the nearest car in that direction, and if there is none, does as it does now.

But not before all the other stuff I PM'd for !

:doh: And if I care none about the car but want to just look in the mirror or just over to a different direction? Automated "we think we know better than you" things in games are just bad jokes (DoF being the main contender for example).

When I turn my head, _I_ stop it at a sensible place to see whatever _I_ want.. my eyes don't say "there's a car.. look precisely there".

45 is far far far better than 90.. and 90 still exists... I fail to see where the problem is.

Regards,

Ian
I doubt any real life racer ever turns their head more than 45° anyway. But if you think they do (which is fine) then you can simply be a 90° man. Reverse look is being phased out by the looks of things, which is another good thing.
Quote from tristancliffe :I doubt any real life racer ever turns their head more than 45° anyway. But if you think they do (which is fine) then you can simply be a 90° man. Reverse look is being phased out by the looks of things, which is another good thing.

I'll agree with the reverse look. Turning your head 90° is a bit misleading. In LFS you can turn 90°, but IRL, it is certainly viable that you can turn your head 45° but move your eyes to see 90° beside you.

Again, I think in the road cars and not single seaters. If turning your view to look 90° would stick a bodypanel in your face, then sure, we shouldn't be able to see 90°.

45° is certainly needed to see the mirrors in SS with a more realistic FOV, but the side mirrors on the road cars are completely useless since you can see the same by not looking at all, but checking the center mirror.

As realistic as we want it, we still need compromises due to the fact that we are looking at our simulated world with a tiny window of view with our equipment.
+1 it could work!
I would prefer flight-sim style panning views: one click of view right and release = view stays at 45 degrees right; another right click = view stays at 90 degrees right. I think even with the head turned only 90 degrees each side, we still turn our eyeballs to see some total 135 degrees each side, so probably from left 135 degrees you click view right 3 times to center and another 3 times to look 135 degrees right. Considering in flight-sims you also have view up/down panning and the scheme works, I'd say in race-sims it would work even better.

A lock to nearest car could work. It could be activated by: "press view left, press view right, release both" to lock to the nearest car on the left. It could be deactivated by single clicking either view left or view right to snap to the nearest set (0, 45, 90, 135 degree) view point. But an instant "snap" to the targeted car would be disorienting, while a "quick smooth pan" to the target should be better.

Look left/right
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG