The online racing simulator
What's your average fps?
(85 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
What's your average fps?
Toshiba equim A60 @ 22fps with full track
Depending on track and number of players, 60+. Usually in the 100's.
#3 - CSU1
Quote from the_angry_angel :Depending on track and number of players, 60+. Usually in the 100's.

Damn that's some smooth racing I could only get that @ 800*600 with all gfx at lowest
AMD 2.4 Ghz clocked to 2.8. Top end ATI card but can't remeber which one - 9800 maybe? It's been fettled with to unlock some extra power. 1Gb RAM. Hotlapping I'm getting around 180fps and at T1 lap 1 with a full grid it drops to about 80.

Oh - and that's on the highest res with LOD maxxed out and with the high res sky and high res textures that can be found in the unoffical addons.
Uh, P4 2.4, 512mb ram @ 133 Mhz! it's supposed to run @ 266, cause it's a PC2100, but I have no idea how to get it to do so, ATI 9600XT, around 45fps online with 6-7 cars around me, 2xAA 4xAF. When I'm alone it's usually 80-90fps, haven't tested it without AA or AF yet.
28 or so.
#7 - CSU1
You guy's know anything about overclocking my laptop, can it be done? Would you?
Driving alone 40-76 fps (capped to 76). With full grid T1 is probably under 30. I would get 10 more but I want to keep 4xFSAA on my low-end computer, in my opinion LFS is just one of those games that needs FSAA to look good, without it just looks so horribly "pixelated". Maybe something to do with the vertex rendering (!?) stuff or something near that.
In Hotlap Mode: 120+ @ 1280 x 1024, 2 x AA and Full Details.
Online with full grid it drops to 30 for a couple of seconds until T1, then usally 80 to 100.
Around 92FPS if i am alone on track and around 35-40FPS at the race start. (1280x1024 6x AA 16x AF)

What is the advantage (or disadvantage) of limiting the fps? Currently i have capped them to 100.
Quote from CSU1 :You guy's know anything about overclocking my laptop, can it be done? Would you?

Some boards can be clocked and some can't. Same with ECUs I beleive. Have a look at http://www.overclockers.com/

My machine was bought in bits with the express intention of overclocking. All the parts cost me under £500 and I've ended up with monstrous performance for that money. Fortunately for me I have a mate who is totally in to overclocking.

If you do get into it, just remember, it's very easy to fry stuff. Make sure you know what the safe temperatures and currents are for your CPU and memory before you start messing around.
#12 - CSU1
In my opinion the equim A60's fan system is very badly designed it doesn't seem to cool those two cpu's enough so I would probably steer clear of overclocking them.64mb intergrated sound/gfx card sucks.
Quote from Highsider9 :What is the advantage (or disadvantage) of limiting the fps? Currently i have capped them to 100.

If your fps goes up and down e.g. from 30 to 100, it looks jerky. When you limit it to e.g. 76 it looks smoother because the difference between the highest and lowest value is smaller.
~130 to 150 by myself, and around 80-90 in full grid. 1440x900 with 6xAA and 8xAF.

as for overclocking a laptop, i'd highly recommend against it. The most important factor in overclocking is controlling the temperatures. and most laptops just aren't setup to with adequate cooling. most likely what will happen is you'll make the system unstable, and worst case senario is you'll kill the thing completely.
~80-100 when hotlapping with every setting maxed out.
probably a minimum of 30 in T1 online, same settings, smoothes out to 70-90 during the race. Either way it never becomes overly jerky and certainly not unplayable, ever.

3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz
1GB Ram
X800GTO2 with unlocked pixel pipelines, default clock speeds

Either way it doesn't seem to be a very demanding game, my system is very mid-range these days.
Quote from glyphon :as for overclocking a laptop, i'd highly recommend against it. The most important factor in overclocking is controlling the temperatures. and most laptops just aren't setup to with adequate cooling. most likely what will happen is you'll make the system unstable, and worst case senario is you'll kill the thing completely.

I totally agree.
Quote from Highsider9 :
What is the advantage (or disadvantage) of limiting the fps? Currently i have capped them to 100.

Me limits FPS to 30 for grapping via Fraps.
Quote from CSU1 :What's your average fps?

I have no idea. One of the first things I switched off when I got :lfs: was the fps display. The game runs smooth here, it always did, so why would I care about fps?
#19 - CSU1
Quote from AK-Chester :I have no idea. One of the first things I switched off when I got :lfs: was the fps display. The game runs smooth here, it always did, so why would I care about fps?

Are you quite sure about that post!
#20 - VoiD
1280*1024/6AA/16AF
Capped @83fps, normaly >40fps the first seconds with full grid @start. But I use lots of highes-textures-eyecandy-stuff... GFX-Ram ~58 Mb

To compare with a "naked" LFS check this one: http://lfsbench.iron.eu.org
75fps all the time no matter what and thats beacuse im on "vsync" and i play with 1280X1024 + 4AASuper sampling + 4Ansi.
Quote from Gentlefoot :Top end ATI card but can't remeber which one - 9800 maybe

Off the topic, but the 9800 hasn't been top end since early 2004 or so.

Anyway, usually my fps stays around 86 where it's capped, I don't remember seeing below 60.

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice @ 2433mhz, Radeon X800 XT @ stock speed

1360x1024, 2XAA and 16XAF
200fps with maxxed LFS settings.

Then I turn on anti-aliasing 16x and antiscoptic filtering 8xS and high image quality settings on my graphics card and it's 40fps at race starts, although i've capped general play to 60 so I dont get to see what it can go up too any more.

When I upgraded to this computer I found a higher framerate made a big difference to being able to catch a car on the edge of control, I was also able to make better starts by controlling the wheelspin. I'd suggest anyone who's getting less than 30-40fps at the start should lower their display settings.
#24 - Sage
With around 20 people or so: anywhere from 10 - 30. With about 10: 40 - 60. 3 or 4 (not including me): 75 - 100.
Quote from Batterypark :Off the topic, but the 9800 hasn't been top end since early 2004 or so.

Anyway, usually my fps stays around 86 where it's capped, I don't remember seeing below 60.

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice @ 2433mhz, Radeon X800 XT @ stock speed

1360x1024, 2XAA and 16XAF

aah - but what you don't realise is that the 9800 is a much more capable chip than ATI will have you believe. As I mentioned, mine was fettled with to unlock a part of the processing that makes it equal to the later models!

Needless to say it's in ATIs interests that you don't know about this. It's a bit like HP making printers that are slower than they need to be. It's known as 'product sabotage'. There's an article about it on the BBC News website at the moment. It's so they can sell the better goods at higher prices. see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5274352.stm

What's your average fps?
(85 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG