The online racing simulator
Direction indicator when leaving garage?
Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it be nice to have an indication of the direction of travel on the track when you're leaving the garage? I've seen lots of people (myself included) leave the garage only to have to turn around partway down the pitlane because they went the wrong way.

It's a little easier now with the triangle car icons on the map overlay, but it still takes a few seconds to figure out which way you're supposed to leave the pits.

IMHO just a blinking arrow overlaid onto the screen that goes away as soon as you roll out of the garage and into the pit lane would be perfect.
#2 - joen
When on a normal config, turn left.
When on a reverse config, turn right.

I have to correct myself: Fern Bay is an exception.
#3 - Gunn
I get caught out a lot with this, even though I shouldn't. A painted arrow on the inside pit wall (as you look from the garage) might be enough. Even a faded one.
Just off the top of my head:

BL1: Left

FE1: Right
FE2: Left
FE3: Right
FE4: Right

SO1: Left (used to be right! )
SO2: ?
SO3: ?
SO4: Left

WE1: Left

My point is, if you know the track well enough, you should know which way you go past the pits.
Admit it, we've all done it. Thankfully most of us realise before leaving the pits - but i've been caught be somebody who didn't.

I've personally got to the point that the first thing I do when joining the session is looking at the mini map and watching which way the cars are moving. !

I might add a pit radio message to my radio mod for this, but as far as LFS proper is concerned i'm not sure of a good solution that would be aesthetic and in keeping with the game. What we need is a pit crew...
Quote from Forbin :My point is, if you know the track well enough, you should know which way you go past the pits.

Well then you will be okay. How about those of us who don't know the tracks well enough?

I get caught out with this now and then... I like your idea Gunn.
Quote from Merc68k :Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it be nice to have an indication of the direction of travel on the track when you're leaving the garage? I've seen lots of people (myself included) leave the garage only to have to turn around partway down the pitlane because they went the wrong way.

It's a little easier now with the triangle car icons on the map overlay, but it still takes a few seconds to figure out which way you're supposed to leave the pits.

IMHO just a blinking arrow overlaid onto the screen that goes away as soon as you roll out of the garage and into the pit lane would be perfect.

+1

I went the wrong way out of the pits a few times when I first started and didn't know the tracks.
It wouldn't hurt, but usually, as the pits are perpendicular to the track across from pit wall, it takes just a few degrees (if not just 1) to get the wrong way message.
So unless you just rip out of your box, you only need to yaw the car a little to see which way is which.
Yeah, I admit it's a pretty minor thing to just watch the map and see how the cars are moving.. I like the idea of an arrow painted on the pitwall though, that would be nice and unobtrusive
#10 - Gunn
Quote from Merc68k :Yeah, I admit it's a pretty minor thing to just watch the map and see how the cars are moving..

Unless you are the only one in the server.....
+1 this is very usefull for me, i dont look at the map acctually
but i allways drive the wrong way, even if i've been racing for a half an hour, and pit and then leave pits i still go to wrong way.
that part of my brain isnt functioning well
Quote from Gunn :Unless you are the only one in the server.....

Ya thats the only time you can't tell, but with no other cars it's not so bad if you drive backwords for a moment
how about a guy from pitcrew like GTL?!?!
Quote from newage :how about a guy from pitcrew like GTL?!?!

Uh oh... you mentioned an ISI-based game. Please don your nomex...
+1
I just go the direction that everyone else is going on the minimap.
now that we have autocross marshalls that point left/right, we could have one of them standing there.
I also think that the marshall idea is a good idea.
Quote from scurrg :now that we have autocross marshalls that point left/right, we could have one of them standing there.

Yeah the marshall would work too, I haven't seen one in autocross yet, but it sounds good!
Quote :I get caught out a lot with this, even though I shouldn't. A painted arrow on the inside pit wall (as you look from the garage) might be enough. Even a faded one

it would only be a matter of time before some numb c*nt edited the dds file and put it the wrong way round though. hehe
Quote :So unless you just rip out of your box, you only need to yaw the car a little to see which way is which.

Smeg, in all this time I never actually thought to drive slowly... lol, how obvious ! How alien....
Quote from Captain Slow :it would only be a matter of time before some numb c*nt edited the dds file and put it the wrong way round though. hehe

So, who cares if they did that, and went the wrong way. There the ones who would get kicked for going the wrong way.
Hopefully at some point in the future we will get some nice pit crew animations to keep us right Removing the tyre blankets, dropping you off the jacks and then firing the BF1 up while making sure you exit the pits in the right direction

Keiran
I like the idea of the GTL marshal kinda character. We all know, ISI sucks, but I really liked that. The guy looks horrible, but still, I like it. I have driven into the wrong direction to quite a few times, but I always notice, and then the server sends out a wrong way message and I'm all like "did anyone see?? "
Now I just wait a few seconds in the pitbox to see what direction people are going. But on kyoto national, because of the close map and turns, I actually looked at it for 15 seconds before I figured out what way people were going

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG