The online racing simulator
Nürburgring Nordschleife
(76 posts, started )
#1 - mink
Nürburgring Nordschleife
The only track i would love to see in this game... Would be perfect for 24 h races . Dunno how realistic this wish is but it would be awesome. Best Racetrack in the world!!! What do you think?
Don't worry there is hope for this thread yet.

Instead of asking for Germany's historic track, I think instead we should look closer to home - the birthplace of organised circuit racing.

An oval track (which will keep the Yanks happy), although not American. A brick surface track that's nowhere near Indiapolis, the very first track in the world to be created, and of course, it wasn't German (they just built the cars that kept winning on it). Plus it has a rather interesting start/finish complex.

I am of course talking about Brooklands. The French claim to have invented Motor Racing, but Brooklands gave birth to Motor Sport.

Of course we havn't got a car to race on it, but we don't have a 1970's Ferrari F1 to race around the Green Hell either... And aside from a reputation for killing people on it monster track (which is basically just endless for no real reason other than somebody owned a tarmac franchise that went bust and had nowhere to put the left overs) and of course a certain political rally, what has Nurgburg ever actually done to deserve its reputation?
Although I would love this track, I doubt it will come to light as it would be too much coding etc etc, would be nice for a very long track though maybe with simple scenery in parts of it to save computer power, maybe 8-9 miles long, quite challenging with lots of highly cambered bends a bit like nurburgring...
But it IS useful for car manufactuers to spend millions of pounds getting a low lap time with a modified prototype so that the general public think the sale car is actually any good.

But no, it's a useless track, and it would be utterly crap for racing in LFS. Hotlapping maybe, but only Biggie does that.

Online example: Lights go green, then you see no one else for half an hour. Whoopie do!
Would be nice to see a track outside of the UK scenery, ok we have Kyoto and FE but something which would go trough forests and would have trees all over the place, but not the Ring. It would be totally useless.
#7 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :Don't worry there is hope for this thread yet.

Instead of asking for Germany's historic track, I think instead we should look closer to home - the birthplace of organised circuit racing.

An oval track (which will keep the Yanks happy), although not American. A brick surface track that's nowhere near Indiapolis, the very first track in the world to be created, and of course, it wasn't German (they just built the cars that kept winning on it). Plus it has a rather interesting start/finish complex.

I am of course talking about Brooklands. The French claim to have invented Motor Racing, but Brooklands gave birth to Motor Sport.

Of course we havn't got a car to race on it, but we don't have a 1970's Ferrari F1 to race around the Green Hell either... And aside from a reputation for killing people on it monster track (which is basically just endless for no real reason other than somebody owned a tarmac franchise that went bust and had nowhere to put the left overs) and of course a certain political rally, what has Nurgburg ever actually done to deserve its reputation?

blasphemy!:inq:
Perhaps a compromise would be a fantasy track based around Spa Francochamps?

A brilliant circuit to drive, rather than just endless similar corners, with unique variation on the bends, famous views such as La Source, Eu Rogue, and complexes such as the bus stop. Total lap is quite long, but nowhere near as dull as lapping Nurburg.

Plus if it's a deliberate fantasy track we could get a few more short combo's in there too, which is where the best racing in LFS is to be had - it's just that for some reason track length seems equal to male external paraphenalia length around here sometimes.

The only time I think I might enjoy racing a long track would be in a rally format, which I think I read here Scawen was working on, and the AutoX competition is possibly related too.
Quote :blasphemy!

Your quite right, Ferrari and Alfa Romeo won some races too.
#10 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :Perhaps a compromise would be a fantasy track based around Spa Francochamps?

A brilliant circuit to drive, rather than just endless similar corners, with unique variation on the bends, famous views such as La Source, Eu Rogue, and complexes such as the bus stop. Total lap is quite long, but nowhere near as dull as lapping Nurburg.

Plus if it's a deliberate fantasy track we could get a few more short combo's in there too, which is where the best racing in LFS is to be had - it's just that for some reason track length seems equal to male external paraphenalia length around here sometimes.

The only time I think I might enjoy racing a long track would be in a rally format, which I think I read here Scawen was working on, and the AutoX competition is possibly related too.

spa-ish would be nice, but if it could have some good ol' Eric style hills, yet keep the forest atmosphere it would rock!
#11 - joen
Quote from Becky Rose :Perhaps a compromise would be a fantasy track based around Spa Francochamps?

A Spa like track would be a much much much much much better addition to LFS then Nordschleife. Main reason it just being a much better track, and it would even allow you to actually have races on it.
The thing that makes 'The Ring' such a challenge is the danger. There are seriously fast sections with kinks, off cambers and blind brows. The run-off is non-existent and it takes ages to learn because of it's length.

I admit it is a fantastic challenge that any true petrol head should take given the chance. However, my experience of it in sims is that it just isn't the same because the danger is removed. Obviously this is the case with all tracks but with the Ring it's more so becuase it is so dangerous IRL.

In addition, my ex girlfriend was from Adenau (I met her whilst over there on a 'Ring' trip) so if I was to see this track in LFS it would just be a painful reminder of the wonderful beginnings of a relationship that turned sour. So please -1 for this suggestion.
Ring simulation suggestion:

1) get into an LX-6.

2) set one AI car to drive an LX-4.

3) choose a 50 lap race at Fern Bay Black, reversed.

4) drink about 8 shots of Jaegermeister.

5) off you go, very similar experience to the Ring!

Enjoy!

PS: Becky, I am pretty sure that Nurburg and Nuremberg are different places. Could a German help out please? Apologies for the lack of umlauts, I don't know how to get them in this text editor.
Quote from jtr99 :Ring simulation suggestion:

1) get into an LX-6.

2) set one AI car to drive an LX-4.

3) choose a 50 lap race at Fern Bay Black, reversed.

4) drink about 8 shots of Jaegermeister.

5) off you go, very similar experience to the Ring!

Enjoy!

PS: Becky, I am pretty sure that Nurburg and Nuremberg are different places. Could a German help out please? Apologies for the lack of umlauts, I don't know how to get them in this text editor.

Yes they are different places and a long way away from one another.
Yeah and there's 4 New York's in the world and only one is in America, but seriously, I can't spell either of them so how can I tell them apart?

I personally don't see the fuss about Spa and the Ring (which has only once corner which makes me wish I had a third hand to hold my nuts in place, even in that arcade game with it, oh yes, what is it called, GT4*).

Circuit quality is proportional to the cars. In the 60's, Masta was the corner to worry about at Spa. For a modern F1 car, it would be any other corner. However, Eau Rouge poses a problem to modern F1 cars, when it didn't in the 60's.

Suzuka is better than both Nurburg and Spa. 130R, Degner, Spoon ... Karrusel and Eau Rouge are unfit to kiss the feet of those corners.

Here are the sorts of tracks I would like in LFS S3
  • A Suzuka clone
  • A .5 mile or shorter oval, like Bristol
  • A desert track.
  • Something like Bathurst
No ring or spa clones here....
#17 - Vain
Nurburg (Ger: Nürburg), where the Ring is, is in the middle west of germany. Nuremberg, if I correctly translated that to Nürnberg, is in southern germany. The distance is something along the lines of 400km.

About the Nordschleife:
This thread made me try the Nordschleife in GTL and if that track comes to LFS I'm gonna uninstall LFS, just like I'll do with GTL soon (after trying the rest of the game). The GTL representation is rather horrible for anyone who was either at the Ring in person or spend enough time to watch onboard videos (I laughed when I saw the portion of the track that was meant to be the Lauda-Left).
I personally enjoy driving tracks like Fe Black with cars like the XRT or FZ5 for a while with some AIs. There's no competition behind it, it's just you against the track. That's what makes it interesting. Unfortunately Fe Black is rather dull in some places, mostly because it's a very flat track.
The Ring isn't a track for our typical 4 laps head-to-head races, but also for simple track-day driving. That is very successful in real life and propably many people would enjoy it in LFS. I'm definitely pro-Nordschleife, but this demands a very well made reproduction, which is close to impossible.

Vain
We will never see the Ring. The devs will make a millimeter perfect track and that would take forever, if it isn't millimeter perfect then we shall forever spam them about how turn #127 is a millimeter off of its spot.

It won't happen, even though a long track would be good.
Quote from tristancliffe :blah blah...But no, it's a useless track, and it would be utterly crap for racing in LFS. Hotlapping maybe, but only blah blah blah...

Quote from Jackie Stewart, Indy500 2003 U.S.-GP Commentary :...(Nürburgring) is the world´s most difficult race track. An amazing race track....

Quote from Vain :Nurburg (Ger: Nürburg), where the Ring is, is in the middle west of germany. Nuremberg, if I correctly translated that to Nürnberg, is in southern germany. The distance is something along the lines of 400km.

About the Nordschleife:
This thread made me try the Nordschleife in GTL and if that track comes to LFS I'm gonna uninstall LFS, just like I'll do with GTL soon (after trying the rest of the game). The GTL representation is rather horrible for anyone who was either at the Ring in person or spend enough time to watch onboard videos (I laughed when I saw the portion of the track that was meant to be the Lauda-Left).
I personally enjoy driving tracks like Fe Black with cars like the XRT or FZ5 for a while with some AIs. There's no competition behind it, it's just you against the track. That's what makes it interesting. Unfortunately Fe Black is rather dull in some places, mostly because it's a very flat track.
The Ring isn't a track for our typical 4 laps head-to-head races, but also for simple track-day driving. That is very successful in real life and propably many people would enjoy it in LFS. I'm definitely pro-Nordschleife, but this demands a very well made reproduction, which is close to impossible.

Vain

Uhm ok i know what you mean about the portion of the track. I watched alot of onboard videos as well and many corners n stuff looked different to what this track offers. But the track in gtl is from another century (198x) and since that time many things changed but i dont know if there are realistic parameters beside that fact so you could be right when you say its not realistic. But anyway GT4 offers a newer version and i think the telemetry datas are correct/realistic and this would be the version i wish to have in LFS as well

PS: what do you think about the version from GT4 Vain?
Quote from Rappa Z :We will never see the Ring. The devs will make a millimeter perfect track and that would take forever, if it isn't millimeter perfect then we shall forever spam them about how turn #127 is a millimeter off of its spot.

It won't happen, even though a long track would be good.

lol
Doesn't Westhill (I think) have an Eau Rouge style sequence. Westhill seems to be a very Spa-like track.
Quote from Becky Rose :Total lap is quite long, but nowhere near as dull as lapping Nurburg.

I find the Green Hell incredibly intense and wonderful to drive in games, I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like IRL. And as for its reputation - Its reputation is that it is one of the most challenging and dangerous racetracks on the planet. The many deaths there prove that. That is how it recieved its reputation.

You mentioned Spa, and a lap being quite long. I assume you were talking about the old spa layout? I'd love something like that, too. Spa is another wonderful track (well, it used to be. Now it's just the best track in F1; by no means a hard title to hold).

Here's a suggestion; Ericshleife!
#24 - Vain
With the Eau-Rouge type section you mean Aston. And Aston has few elevation changes and is an extremely flowing track. It doesn't have a single 2nd gear section in just about any car and about no challanging section, except the mini-Eau-Rouge.

Spa is definitely a nice track. If you removed the useless chicane (well, kind of, that left-right before the start/finish) it'd be a great track.
Eric needs to change his style of tracks a bit. We have many flowing tracks where consistancy is important, where you can slowly go to the maximum of the car. There are few sections in LFS where the ideal line isn't clear on first sight. We need some sections that are technically demanding. In other words: A track that isn't made for drivers, but a track that was made against drivers.

Vain
Isn't Kyoto GP a Suzuka clone?

Nürburgring Nordschleife
(76 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG