The online racing simulator
Windows Live Messenger Notification (MSN)
I was fooling around in NkPro today when one of my WLM (MSN) buddies pointed out to me that he can see that I'm playing nkpro and also what car and track I was on ( see pic below) . I tried it with LFS but it did'nt work. Don't know how nkpro does that but it would be kinda cool for LFS to do that as well , even display server info if at all possible , maybe even integrate with join2lfs (not sure what the functionality is of WLM)
Attached images
WLM.bmp
#2 - Jakg
ive been wanting this for quite sometime, but i know that adding the custom logo and pm shouldnt be that hard
So it did this without you knowing? Cool :cool:
Quote from AndroidXP :So it did this without you knowing? Cool :cool:

Yeah , I was like "huh how do you know I'm playing nkpro right now?" . I have seen it on his MSN before but thought he manually typed the PM
You got caught.

Ehm..yes, +1, sounds good.
#6 - Jakg
i used to have MSN Plus! set up so i only had to go Shift + whatever and it would change my name to "LFSing" and tell all my contacts how busy i was, but letting them know what server im on would be nice, even though they could jus use LFSW to find out!
Quote from zeugnimod :You got caught.

*blushes*
Quote from Jakg :i used to have MSN Plus! set up so i only had to go Shift + whatever and it would change my name to "LFSing" and tell all my contacts how busy i was, but letting them know what server im on would be nice, even though they could jus use LFSW to find out!

I just log out when LFSing.
but only if it is "switchable" i generally don't like the idea of beeing controlled by my mates or who ever (paranoia's greeting) doing on my machine...

regards
Quote from Jakg : even though they could jus use LFSW to find out!

True , but it might get your non LFS buddies interested in "that game your playing"
From a programming point of view, setting the msn status is fairly trivial (unless its changed in Live), infact its just a case of; FindWindowEx for the MSN GUI, and then using SendMessage with the correct LPARAM

You could also get the track name out of InSim using the StatePack, where the track name is listed as a 6 byte char array. So it shouldnt be too tricky for someone to do tbh.

Edit: If you're thinking why I don't get off my bum and do it; I'm not particularly interested, it doesn't "scratch an itch of my own" (to paraphrase ESR). Sorry
Quote from the_angry_angel :From a programming point of view, setting the msn status is fairly trivial (unless its changed in Live), infact its just a case of; FindWindowEx for the MSN GUI, and then using SendMessage with the correct LPARAM

You could also get the track name out of InSim using the StatePack, where the track name is listed as a 6 byte char array. So it shouldnt be too tricky for someone to do tbh.

Edit: If you're thinking why I don't get off my bum and do it; I'm not particularly interested, it doesn't "scratch an itch of my own" (to paraphrase ESR). Sorry

Don't think it should be a third party app , I think the Devs can just add it if they feel its worth their while
Fair enough
+1 from me.
Might be cool, but should only be implemented into LFS when Scawen is at a loose end. I get the impression his to do list is rather long at the moment.
Mmmmm that scary that it decided to announce it without you finding out somehow. I hope winamp doesn't do it, I might not want people to know what I'm watching/listening too
#17 - Jakg
Quote from dave_w11 :Mmmmm that scary that it decided to announce it without you finding out somehow. I hope winamp doesn't do it, I might not want people to know what I'm watching/listening too

thus i enable the plugin for XMPlay manually!
Quote from dave_w11 :Mmmmm that scary that it decided to announce it without you finding out somehow. I hope winamp doesn't do it, I might not want people to know what I'm watching/listening too

In your msn messenger settings there is an option to show people what track you are listening in winamp/wmp

I would like to have this though, I never wanted people to see what I'm doing in wmp, but they are allowed to know what track and car I'm racing! That way they also know what I'm doing, so they know how to contact me (plus sounds most of the time )
#19 - Jakg
just click on the little triangle next to your PM and click "Turn On What I'm Listening To" to toggle it
#20 - Jakg
sorry to necro-post, but is there a way to make MSN go into busy from the command prompt? is so ill add it to my LFS opening spring (well the one that opens LFS and all my mods)
Maybe through messenger plus? Make it open an IM screen, and let it say /busy or something, I don't know nothing about programming or whatever, but this might push you in the right direction.
#22 - aoun
-1. Top idea but it will promote people to use MSN when playing LFS which = more lag.
I got that LFS sign on MSN when i was playing it...

(j/k)
Attached images
LFS1.png
I think xfire can do this.
Uhm, if you don't want that the MSN/Live-Messenger shows what you're doing.. just use Trillian. (That way you also get rid of the bloatware that is ICQ)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG