The online racing simulator
GP Bikes ALPHA 1 RELEASED!!
(261 posts, started )
Quote from sinbad :The problem I have with this in GPBikes is that I have no way of knowing what the bike is doing. It feels too remote, there is very little/no visual indication of whether the bike is at "the limit", which would be a bigger problem if the steering and throttle worked as I believe they should.

I was initially quite taken with GPBikes, but the more I played it the less impressed I became. The bigger bikes behave oddly (just modestly faster versions of the 250), the throttle does work like a throttle, more like a go-faster control with some kind of throttle nanny. I don't really like the way you can just steer fully to the side and the bike will lean that far and no further. I have no feeling for pushing bike and tyre, and the physics are generally pretty damned average at best in my opinion. nBike (despite its own flaws) was a lot more fun, a lot more intuitive, massively more rewarding and generally a hell of a lot more convincing. I await a version of GPBikes that ticks some of those boxes, but I won't get my hopes up, and I actually do have a minor case of Buyer's Remorse.

Hehehe, I think bike games are harder to map physics for. The view doesn't bother me, I think the bike does feel like it's on rails some of the time, and i understand what you are saying. I have only ridden the 250 on the game so I don't know about the other bikes, but it feels nice to ride, and the only time I have crashed, is when i physically hit something, braked or accelerated on the grass, or braked whilst turning, I tried the game in wet weather conditions too on wet tyres, which is very fun. I think considering it's just a 1man project (afaik) , it a very good game indeed. I would rather put money to this game, than one by EA-(Nazi)Games anyday, even if the physics were slightly compromised, but i can't complain about the physics myself, as i use my wheel to control the bike... which kinda defeats the object :P
hmm so no Multiplayer? very dissapointing,...... tried teh game, its really fun, i was about to buy it, but then looked at menu and saw no "Online" option so.....
Ok well it recognises my wheel, even lets me calibrate it. but point blank refuses to use it in game.

So it's a non starter for me.
Quote from DevilDare :hmm so no Multiplayer? very dissapointing,...... tried teh game, its really fun, i was about to buy it, but then looked at menu and saw no "Online" option so.....

There is a multiplayer option, but only once you've bought a license. You just click the race button, or whatever it is, below practice/testing. It's not great though (imo), rather laggy, and serious framerate drop for me too, which was disappointing.
Alpha 4 is out and the game seems to be progressing nicely.

Lime Rock -- R250 -- 50.429

World record?

Replay and setup attached.
Attached files
Forbin-Limerock-R250-50_429.rar - 193.2 KB - 226 views
Let me say some words

There are some bugs is physics. In early alpha 1 on the straight braking hard caused stoppie, this is correct. But in turn it is OK, but should cause low-side. Same with throttle in turn - throttle hard and everything is ok. Loosing rear wheel is possible only in one right turn rising, track seems to be oiled here And sliding is not controllable in any way. And high-side is an unknown term/situation for this game Lots of work ahead. In Alpha 4 i saw small improvements. Such as: no stoppie on straight line, front wheel is blocked. Unable to perform wheelie, that was possible in alpha 1. In turn it is now more easier to lay down in low-side while throttling or braking hard. That's all what i've mentioned
But! This is really nice

PS and yes, i loved motorcycle in LFS (by detail) much more, than that game
Quote from VasVF :Let me say some words

There are some bugs is physics. In early alpha 1 on the straight braking hard caused stoppie, this is correct. But in turn it is OK, but should cause low-side. Same with throttle in turn - throttle hard and everything is ok. Loosing rear wheel is possible only in one right turn rising, track seems to be oiled here And sliding is not controllable in any way. And high-side is an unknown term/situation for this game Lots of work ahead. In Alpha 4 i saw small improvements. Such as: no stoppie on straight line, front wheel is blocked. Unable to perform wheelie, that was possible in alpha 1. In turn it is now more easier to lay down in low-side while throttling or braking hard. That's all what i've mentioned
But! This is really nice

PS and yes, i loved motorcycle in LFS (by detail) much more, than that game

Are you playing demo? The 125cc bike isnt exactly going to snap the rear easily.
I've played it plenty, and I've reached the conclusion that I don't like it. It's little better than Tourist Trophy in my opinion. NetBike was/is much more fun/intuitive/challenging/rewarding, and certainly no less realistic either.

In GPbikes it's as if the throttle doesn't really control the power to the back wheel, just the speed, it has a nanny like Tourist Trophy. The steering works like an arcade game through and through, no thought gone into that, and the viewpoint doesn't work for me. It's okay having the camera approximately where your head would be, but in the real world you also have arms and hands and body communicating what the bike is doing. In a game like this you need to be able to easily see what the bike is doing, and you just can't. Not that it matters at the moment since the physics are pretty sketchy at best.

Edit: Oh, I appear to have posted similar sentiments up there
Quote from sinbad :Not that it matters at the moment since the physics are pretty sketchy at best.

if youw atch the replays closely enough you can see the driver countersteering to lean the bike in and stuff like that... i think the underlying physics are actually rather good but the game doesnt allow you to iteract with them directly
Quote from Shotglass :if youw atch the replays closely enough you can see the driver countersteering to lean the bike in and stuff like that... i think the underlying physics are actually rather good but the game doesnt allow you to iteract with them directly

You may be right, but if the developer cannot make a throttle input work correctly I don't hold much hope for other more complicated elements.
what i meant to say was that its likely he can but wont to keep the game playable... as to why he doesnt simply add a full mode i dunno
Quote from 5haz :Are you playing demo? The 125cc bike isnt exactly going to snap the rear easily.

Yes, i'm playing demo. And its 250cc in it. And seeing the top speed it seems that 250cc has ~90-100hp (the real thing), its weight ~110kg (also real thing). What i'm talking about - this bike EASILY should snap the rear wheel, cause it is 2-stroke (look at exhaust) and has very strong power-up on high-revs.
Quote from Shotglass :if youw atch the replays closely enough you can see the driver countersteering to lean the bike in and stuff like that... i think the underlying physics are actually rather good but the game doesnt allow you to iteract with them directly

Quote :what i meant to say was that its likely he can but wont to keep the game playable... as to why he doesnt simply add a full mode i dunno

Yes, thats more playable... But if LFS was more playable, would you play it?
So do i want to have total control of the bike. I want to countersteer by myself, i want either no helpers for braking/throttling or helpers like in LFS - you can ride with them, it is more comfortable, but it is slower, than fully manual.

What we see now? Helpers on - 1 second faster laptime
I hate the way that I don't control the bike. As said a few posts up: the throttle pedal isn't really the throttle control. And instead of leaning the bike with my steering axle, I just 'tell it' how far to lean, which is limited too. What the! :mad:

I certainly regret buying this game
You're probably using qualifying slicks. In Alpha 4, it's easy to lock the front brake and lowside, but you need harder tires to slide the rear on the 250. The rate at which grip is regained is WAY too slow, though.

Despite that, I rather enjoy the game.
just buy it i think is awesome and hope for better new versions
VERSION: Alpha 4
WEATHER: Dry
CONTROL: Analog Joystick/Flightstick and Pedals (from G25)
VIEW: 1st person, cockpit
AIDS: None (except where noted)

Connecticut Park
Noale R250 2007................ 49.949
Iwata IZR1 2004................ 48.890*
- R250 Time Difference: +1.059
- R250 Time Difference per minute: +1.272

Laguna Seca
Noale R250 2007................ 1:20.815
Murasama RC990 M 2004..... 1:19.276
- R250 Time Difference: +1.539
- R250 Time Difference per minute: +1.143

Russian Ring
Noale R250 2007................ 1:28.491*
Murasama RC990 M 2004..... 1:26.502*
- R250 Time Difference: +1.989
- R250 Time Difference per minute: +1.349

*Automatic Rider Lean

The setup I used is also included with the replay in the above links.
i open it and get "core.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

Can't find the drivers for my graphics card. (Xabre 400 Rev 01)
Played this at my freinds house, it's a pretty good bike sim. (I still maintain TT Superbikes on the PS2 is the best motorcycle sim so far, but that's for another thread )

I'd buy it but I'm concerned about the lack of bikes/tracks for this game. I've heard it's moddable but a quick gander around the GPBikes RSC forum and all I see are a couple of tracks and a few WIP bikes.

(gave you a 5star rating Forbin :razz
Demo
Bikes
R250 (250cc 2-stroke)

Tracks
Lime Rock Park

Full version
Bikes
Yamaha M1 (2004-spec 990cc MotoGP 4-stroke)
Honda RC211V (2004-spec 990cc MotoGP 4-stroke)

Tracks
Laguna Seca

Available Mods
Bikes
(only skins so far, no actual bikes)

Tracks
Russian Ring (very twisty and fun but fairly flat, except for some well-placed ridges and bumps that make things a little more interesting)
That looks great!
Tried the alpha some days ago, but sucked horrible. Did not feel "good" with the controlls / bike.

A good game indeed however
Nice lap. Not sure about the declutching all the way to the point where you reapply the power though, is that you or the game?
It's called a back torque limiting clutch (aka slipper clutch). It disengages partially under engine braking and has a similar effect as engine brake reduction on the BF1 in LFS. I have it set as loose as it will go for maximum rear end traction. If it were set tighter, I'd risk having the rear slide out on me, especially when off the throttle at high lean angles.

All MotoGP bikes and a lot of recent production sport bikes have this feature.

GP Bikes ALPHA 1 RELEASED!!
(261 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG