The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
A maximum of 12 or 14 racers is an appalingly low number, I must say. Very disappointing.
If iRacing have the confidence it is going to be the sim of all sims, then they would be wiser to think of advertisement income rather than fleecing the simmer? If it really is that good then the numbers they want to attract 100,000+ (lol) would be sufficent to offer full advertisement packages.
Quote from Linsen :A maximum of 12 or 14 racers is an appalingly low number, I must say. Very disappointing.

30 for the higher license levels isn't though
Quote from Intrepid :If iRacing have the confidence it is going to be the sim of all sims, then they would be wiser to think of advertisement income rather than fleecing the simmer? If it really is that good then the numbers they want to attract 100,000+ (lol) would be sufficent to offer full advertisement packages.

This was the direction my first post eluded to. IMO it would be a much wiser direction. The people playing simulators play for a reason, that reason is they don't have the money to do the real thing and increasing the level of money required only raises the entrance bar, thus limiting participants, but I guess this is the way they want to go with their glorified league system with their own private simulator...
Quote from DarrenMarsh :30 for the higher license levels isn't though

But given the fact that the majority of new racers will be experienced and fairly serious sim racers who are capable and used to running large grids of much faster cars the fact that we won't be able to quickly join big grids is disappointing. More importantly though reading the rules it seems that if we want full grids we'll have to run 60 minute races, which TBH is far too long with attached sessions to realistically complete on a week night for a lot of people. One of the best races I've seen recently was a 15 minute 30+ car E30 race at Brands in the wet, great racing through out the pack for 15 minutes and despite the conditions no car to car contact, if real racers can manage to have great clean racing round a tight rain soaked circuit why iRacing seems to believe the 'best' sim racers in the world can't manage it on a wider track in the dry is beyond me
Quote from nihil :
I really don't understand this perspective. If you can get something for nothing, you're implying that there's something wrong with that. Why?

Admittedly, you often get what you pay for, so if its cheap, its most probably also crap, but this isn't always true. So you're doing yourself (and more importantly, the rest of us) a disservice by paying top dollar, just because that's the price you're given.

What I was trying to say, and the current painkillers I'm on ain't helping me trying to make my point clear, that maybe we are getting spoilt. All of us play/played LFS and no one can argue that we don't get great value for our money, in fact I could be sure if the price was more it would still be described as value for the dosh.

But what I'm trying to say is that maybe Iracing would be worth the money spent, maybe not, no one can say till it is actually relased public.

I have to admit that you're last comment confussed me slightly (may be the meds:shrug...are you saying that you do not have to pay the price you're given, if so I must try that thie weekend when I try to buy a new set of pans
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :are you saying that you do not have to pay the price you're given, if so I must try that thie weekend when I try to buy a new set of pans

Exactly, you rarely have to pay the price given if you are a good negotiator

It's a skill not well known or thought of which can make a huge difference to your life overall. I.e wage rise negotiations, buying a car, puchasing a house, getting a better interest rate, etc, etc It could make 100's of thousands of dollars difference over your lifetime if you become an accomplished negotiator off topic I know
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :if so I must try that thie weekend when I try to buy a new set of pans

You too?! I need a new casserole... Spotted some cheap Le Creuset stuff recently that I hope to pick up before the weekend.

Anyway, you'd be surprised by what you can get if you ask for it. Always haggle. Most of the time, the 'markets' we do business in are constructed to deter us from acting as if paying for something is a negotiation. Go on, I dare you, where ever you buy your pans from, offer them 70% of the asking price. If they refuse, ask their best price or whether they'd throw in some nice stainless steel utensils! If the shop assistant won't play ball, ask to see the manager.

It can be a bit intimidating in a big store that expects you to be dumb, but treat it as a game and let us know what happens!
Just spent an interesting few days driving iRacing. The sim itself is good (though nothing insanely good like i was expecting)

You can stick the rest of the system where the sun don't shine though.

If you like being severely restricted as to what you can drive and when you can drive it then you might enjoy the sound of cash being removed from your wallet

I like a little more freedom to enjoy my purchases as i feel fit.

If the game engine was in a more conventional product i'd snap your hand off for it, i'm not falling for the "it's a service" subscription though. It's really not (at this stage) all it's cracked up to be.

Lets not even go into the total lack of people actually racing it.

I was really excited to be trying it at last, but came away with a feeling of disappointment.
It's a definite step up in sim racing but not the revolution i expected.

It's definitely not worth the investment at this stage imo. 12 months down the line with more features added and a decent sized community it might be worth it.
Quote from The Moose :Just spent an interesting few days driving iRacing. The sim itself is good (though nothing insanely good like i was expecting)

Now, how exactly did you manage to try it out?
prob signed up for the beta testing early enough, there was a spot on the site for it.
Woudn't that mean he just violated the NDA, though?
Quote from Linsen :Woudn't that mean he just violated the NDA, though?

I gather from some recent posts at RSC the NDA has been lifted or at least relaxed somewhat.
Nope, i'm not signed up for the beta. I just spent a few days with someone who is.
Ah. Very cool. Very good to actually hear something concrete, even if not specifics.

At best, hopefully iRental lights a renewed fire under our dev's respective arses like the rFactor F1 and NetKar releases seemed to do (iirc we got some major content updates around the time of those two).
Quote from srdsprinter :
At best, hopefully iRental lights a renewed fire under our dev's respective arses like the rFactor F1 and NetKar releases seemed to do (iirc we got some major content updates around the time of those two).

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully every developer in the genre gets a bit energized. Hell, if the physics/damage are good, let Simbin lincense it for GTR3, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.
He didn't eactly tell us anything much, and The Moose is one of the more respected members of this community. Believe what you want. :shrugs:
Quote from Aulden Slow :Yeah right. Some beta tester is idiot enough break his NDA and let some guy who is going to blab all over the forums use his beta account.

Anyone who believes this might be interested in some oceanfront property in Arizona i am selling cheap!!

...and we're to believe a newly registered demo racer isn't speaking on behalf of iRental?
Hahaha
He has his name and reputation. His word is enough here for 99% of this community. Of course he isn't going to hand out the beta tester's name he borrowed from.

You on the other hand, we've never heard of and are trying to discredit someone who posted a fair conclusion after trying out the product.

Edit - Saw your prior post. You wouldn't understand. As I said, between the two of you, I know who I'm believing.
The fact that he said he did is enough for most of us here. You know, because of all that "respected community member" nonsense. I think we can all appreciate the humour of someone with no actual experience with the product defending it vigorously though, so please keep it up.
Quote from Aulden Slow :I have never claimed any connection with iRacing, and if I did have any connection with them, I wouldn't be doing a "Nya nya, I raced their sim!!" in a forum

As the previous poster mentioned, Moose hasn't said anything to support his claim. I see ittle in his pot to convince anyone that he has actually even it, let aone tried it.

All I see is a critic doing his best to run down the sim. No smoking gun here folks!!

I know you haven't said you're involved with or pro-iRacing but what other conclusion are we to come to if your first post on this board is about something completely unrelated to the topic of this forum. Care to explain who you are and what your position is? You're clearly not here to race LFS and we're more likely to respect you if you make your agenda known.

Moose is a respected member of our community who certainly isn't a blind LFS fanboy who is one of the few remaining people here to have not completely given up on nK. I believe he has driven iRacing and don't see how what he posted is particularly bad even if the tester broke their NDA by allowing him to have a go it's not as if anything traceable or big has been spilt.
Quote from Aulden Slow :However, Moose has a record of slamming the products, even before he claims to have seen it, so his bias is as clear as day, regardless of how many here exercise respect for him.

Proof or it never happend (aka i want quotations).

Welcome to LFS btw
I think, if this forum had genuinely been uninterested in the prospect of a new and good racing sim, this thread would be on page 10 or older of the Off Topic section's list of threads, rather than page 31 of its own thread.

Reading the thread, as I have.. closely, the resistance I'm seeing isn't to iRacing's sim at all, but resistance to its business model of renting permissions to use paid-for, virtual content. Seems reasonable to me.

Moose arrived at LFS via nKPro, IIRC. I am left with little doubt, reading Moose's post history, that if the iR package appealed, he'd be the first outta this forum like a bullet. He arrived here seeking the ultimate racing sim, and he'll be leaving when it arrives (if it isn't LFS).
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG