The online racing simulator
Scawen, here's a screenshot of the apparent codepage issue in InSim. The apostrophes under each licence should be bordered and filled boxes (showing progress).

I can set them to different characters in a new release of the X-System if necessary. The change has happened around Y18 or Y19.. not exactly sure when.
Attached images
codepage.JPG
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :I have insim issues that must be codepage-related. I use LFSrelax and it uses a special character for the fuel calculations namely a fuelpump. Now in Y20 I see ". My guess is that something changed there (might be in Y19 as well...memory leaves me).

Quote from Degats :In Y19 (and Y20) I've noticed a few of the symbols in the fonts have gone missing. Specifically, the solid circle, up and down arrows - I'm assuming this has somthing to do with the new G-meter display (looks cool btw ). Those characters are quite useful, particularly in insim displays when used for indicating directions.
Any chance they could be put back in? (or are they still available through other means?)

ps. Liking the new replay controls, they're very useful

Edit: looks like the font issue is the same thing as post #320
tested on both XP Pro SP2 and Vista HP SP1

Quote from SamH :Scawen, here's a screenshot of the apparent codepage issue in InSim. The apostrophes under each licence should be bordered and filled boxes (showing progress).

I can set them to different characters in a new release of the X-System if necessary. The change has happened around Y18 or Y19.. not exactly sure when.

OK, this is not a codepage issue. Or, it is... but it's not a codepage issue like another reported bug here, where a user saw one text on the List of Hosts then it appeared differently on the Join Specific Host screen. That one I can fix.

This issue, where some characters that worked in older versions no longer appear the same way, is because some special characters like the filled box and the empty square and the fuel and temperature icons, have been moved away to a hidden code page for LFS's own use. It's the same code page where the 5x7 font and the digital numbers are located. It's not accessible to users or InSim.

The reason for this change is because LFS has become more of a centre of communication than it used to be, with text going in and out to and from external programs. For example you could watch LFS using a spectator system and a lot of the driver names would appear wrong, because they were typed using LFS's non-standard code pages.

As various changes were made recently, new code pages added and the Japanese code page corrected, it was clear that the Latin code page needed to be made standard as well, and that meant moving away the wrong characters. The circle and the left / right arrows could stay because they are in slots that belong to characters that look something like them, but the up / down arrows and fuel symbol had to go.

This way, now that the code pages do not have some wrong characters in some slots, and use the standard layout, LFS can communicate with external programs and the text will be compatible.
That makes perfect sense. I just need to find new characters to use in the font
guys since i have y18 installed can i install y19 and 20? without problems?
Yes, test patches always can be instaled over older test patches (just like oficial patches, but those ones has an autoupdater that make it by you hehe)
Quote from Whiskey :Yes, test patches always can be instaled over older test patches (just like oficial patches, but those ones has an autoupdater that make it by you hehe)

ok thx
No, you MUST install Y19 first, then Y20. This is *VERY IMPORTANT*
I don't said that, beacause he asked about the two patches, and Scawen wrote it in read text, I think everybody should see it
Sorry Whiskey, I just meant that on this occasion you can't skip directly to the latest patch. To use Y20 you need Y19 already installed. Usually you can go straight to the latest patch, but on this occasion it's important to do both of the most recent two
Quote from Degats :In Y19 (and Y20) I've noticed a few of the symbols in the fonts have gone missing. Specifically, the solid circle, up and down arrows - I'm assuming this has somthing to do with the new G-meter display (looks cool btw ). Those characters are quite useful, particularly in insim displays when used for indicating directions.
Any chance they could be put back in? (or are they still available through other means?)

+1 for solid circle put back if able, very useful as our dynamic starter lights. Thnx.

What's this g-meter display? Sorry I haven't come across this in test patches and see it also mentioned on first page by xt.
I have just installed Y20 and LFS feels smoother than ever, strange?

Also fps seems a bit higher so I can run more AA and AF. I was running one of the quite recent testpatches before.
Quote from JasonJ :+1 for solid circle put back if able, very useful as our dynamic starter lights. Thnx.

What's this g-meter display? Sorry I haven't come across this in test patches and see it also mentioned on first page by xt.

The g-meter has been around for quite a while (long as I remember - not sure when I first noticed it though).
It appears at the bottom of the ingame F9 screen (tyre temp/wear etc).
The change in Y19 is simply a different font which looks like a 5x7 LED matrix type display to make it fixed-width and therefore neater.

Scawen: for future reference (you probably already know this) the arrow and circle symbols (amongst others) are on the unicode character set if/when you ever choose to implement it. I appreciate that this would mean changes in various places including InSim, thus probably causing more effort than it's worth at this point.
Up, Down, Circle are U25B2, U25BC, U25CF respectively
Quote from JasonJ :+1 for solid circle put back if able, very useful as our dynamic starter lights. Thnx.

The circle is stil there, no change.

The only place it moved from is the Japanese code page. On all other code pages it's still there in the same place.

Why are people saying the circle has gone? Am I missing something?

As I said already, the up and down arrows have moved but the circle has not moved.

Just press T to open a text box in LFS and click the down arrow, you'll see the whole code page there.
Quote from Degats :The g-meter has been around for quite a while (long as I remember - not sure when I first noticed it though).
It appears at the bottom of the ingame F9 screen (tyre temp/wear etc).
The change in Y19 is simply a different font which looks like a 5x7 LED matrix type display to make it fixed-width and therefore neater.

Speaking of g-meters, do you guys think that it'd be more visually intuitive to have a "moving dot" type of display like the ones seen in F1 onboard footage? I couldn't find an actual image, but something that looks like this:

Scawen - would this be difficult to implement? Thanks in advance!
Personally, I don't want a dot moving in my screen. I only check the G-meter if I Believe that my tires are losing grip. If Scawen implement it, it should be as an option so I can enable or not. But it si one of the things less important inthe development of this game (at least from my point of view)
Quote from Scawen :That will be the main improvement in Y21.

It's already working in my version and producing good a frame rate increase when there are a lot of cars on the screen.

I just need to update it in the best way to minimise pit-out glitch and memory usage. Iin my version now every car generates its own subobjects and the hardware version of them so pit-out glitch would be a bit worse than Y20. I plan to make it better than Y20 by sharing subobjects between cars in the same way that there is one global helmet mesh shared between all drivers. I'm also looking at improving the wheel drawing system and using hardware meshes for the non-rubber parts as that is now the worst remaining slowdown on cars.

Fantastic, sounds like you may have extended the useful life of my computer by another couple of years

The pit-out glitch has never been so noticeable as it is just now (running Y18) and anything which can be done to improve this would be most welcome
TYVM for G-meter description
(i was seeing visions of some weird ball floating about like a game of pong)

Quote from Scawen :*snip*Why are people saying the circle has gone? Am I missing something?*snip*

Forgive me Father for I have sinned.

I read degats':smash3d: post and assumed the worst 'cause the solid squares and left/right arrows were gone I assumed the circle was also gone to 'cause he said so. So sorry. I was at work and didnt have LFS running to check this.

Here's some sweets for wasting your time...

Attached images
codes.jpg
g-meter.jpg
Yeah more colors would be fantastic, i dont think its very hard too make a little bit more of them? Or is it
I don't know much about colors, but I think that the colors in the game are the basic colors of the languaje programed, so put more new colours might be hard
Quote from Scawen :
*snip*Why are people saying the circle has gone? Am I missing something?*snip*

Quote from JasonJ :
I read degats':smash3d: post and assumed the worst 'cause the solid squares and left/right arrows were gone I assumed the circle was also gone to 'cause he said so. So sorry. I was at work and didnt have LFS running to check this.

Here's some sweets for wasting your time...

Oops. must have been a figment of my imagination, no idea where that came from. Sorry, guys

mental note: pay more attention next time...

Quote from Speedy Pro :Speaking of g-meters, do you guys think that it'd be more visually intuitive to have a "moving dot" type of display like the ones seen in F1 onboard footage? I couldn't find an actual image, but something that looks like this:

Personally, I think that a moving dot style g-meter would take up too much room ingame. However, I did knock up a quick 'n' dirty one in VB using OutGauge several months ago that I sometimes use on a second monitor that wasn't too tricky to write.
Someone has already written a g-meter overlay, i think they called it DriftMeter because it also had a slip angle meter, check that out.
No point in getting it directly implemented in lfs realy, doesn't add much value.
Quote from TheChad :Someone has already written a g-meter overlay, i think they called it DriftMeter because it also had a slip angle meter, check that out.
No point in getting it directly implemented in lfs realy, doesn't add much value.

God please, do not add it!
Some great updates, I love the replay ( only a slow mo button would be great )

Good job Scawen !
Quote from Dillyracer :Some great updates, I love the replay ( only a slow mo button would be great )

Good job Scawen !

you are so lazy that you cant press F2?
F2 it's too far to press it.
This thread is closed

Test Patch Y19 (and Y20) Replay Controls
(417 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG