The online racing simulator
#1 - Pasci
Drivers physical conditions should be in influenced by an accident
To make the game a little bit more realistic, it should be possible that the driver is limited in his physical conditions after an accident. For instance this could be illustrated by slow reactions and a limited field of view of the driver.

Similar Thread: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=4473
#2 - SatCP
I do believe we need a better damage model, but I don't think injuries should be part of it. And definitely not a limited field of view. It's already a lot more difficult to see what's going on around you compared to real life. Don't make it even more difficult. Drivers that took damage should take extra care they don't cause more accidents, so don't limit their field of vision.

A crash that would kill you would surely damage the car beyond a drivable state. So what's the point in simulating dying? It's exit race anyways. And smaller crashes that would cause severe injuries that may affect your driving in real life would also damage your car up to a point where driving fast is just impossible and you have a hard time keeping it one the road.
Like stated in the other thread, I'd only be for a "out of race" mode that you enter when you cross a certain force value. IMO artifically limiting the player does not add anything to the game.
#4 - ajp71
IMO anything which artificially limits or benifits the driver isn't likely to work. As was already said by the time your suffering injuries you shouldn't be racing the damage atm still feels fairly turned down from reality as has it has been in every sim since GPL.
#5 - SamH
I think I have found the solution. Using Force Feedback, of course.

[EDIT1]: I've built the mechanism. I'm just hooking it up to my USB hub and I'm going to test it.

[EDIT2]: Nearly there. I'm just adjusting the mechanism height. It was set a little too high.

[EDIT3]: FS,,OY"""" YJSYD TRSKKU EGGEVYIVE!!££
Attached images
Crash_Realism_Engine.jpg
#6 - Vain
Now that's serious force feedback!
And by the way you re-invented the well-known and much-desired "stab people into the face over the internet"-device .

Vain
#7 - jtr99
Nice one Sam. Got to get me one of those!
LOL nice one sam
Gg
Excellent!
There could be a virtual death implementation. After seriuos crash the driver is killed and you have to buy another license
Or if he was lucky and only injured he needs to go to hospital for a week and you can't race
That would be quite realistic.
#11 - Vain
Nah, it wouldn't be realistic. Have you seen a serious accident in real life? Drive with 200 km/h over the Flugplatz on the Ring and crash the car. In a race-prepped car you wait until someone brakes open the crushed door and step out of the car unharmed.
In the last twenty years racing has become quite safe, even on old tracks like the Ring. Of course your car is still wrecked, but the drivers usually go unharmed in homologated cars.
I've seen numerous wrecked race-cars, but in none of them the driver had more injuries than some bruises.
In a street-car the situation changes of course because the driver-cell is by far less rigid without a racing-frame.

Vain
I know this has been mentioned before, but it bears repeating: until stuff from the car falls off, we will be really off.

and stuff will break off not only when crashing (why would i care if stuff breaks off if i have crashed?), but also if parts of the car brush against cerbs, etc...

would be fun to lose a wheel or the front spoiler LOL
To lighten up the mood:

What about that a player has only one "copy" of each car and after you break the LX6 you need to buy new one from the devs

(joke, would be the stupidest idea ever seen in racing sim)
Madmak, all of those crashes are in the nascar series, and I don't know if you ever noticed, but nascar usually crash at higher speeds because it happens more suddenly than in non-oval track racing, and most tracks aren't surrounded by a wall just nexto it. Yes, there are tracks that have walls right next to it, but usually you still have some grass.

On the physics part, in a very bad crash, the car shouldn't be able to drive anymore, so who cares what's going on with the driver? Not the best example, but I liked the getaway on playstation, and I thought the crashing and not able to keep driving pretty good/fun in that game.

Conclusion for me: The car needs to be able to break down, the driver shouldn't be affected, this isn't the getaway.
Conception of virtual death and buing new license was written for fun. Anyway after serious crash the car shouldn't be able to go and it should be an option in server settings. Then there wouldn't be possibility to reset a car during a race. Crash = End of Race
As much as I am for LFS being as real as possible, I don't think this is the best idea. If you crash so hard that the driver would be injured or not seeing things properly, the vehicle damage should be so extensive the car is useless. I think that is true, most modern racecars or pretty much any car that is in LFS, you will most likely total the car before injuring yourself. Not with the current damage system, but I guess they are working on that.

I guess I see it as pointless. I would rather have them focus their efforts on the damage system than driver injuries. And once they get the damage system in perfect shape (I'm sure they will), there wont be a need for driver injuries because your car probably won't be able to move anyway after a crash hard enough to cause injury.
Hm, I think the most are right. A better vehicle damage would be much better than any influenced to the drivers physical condition.

So, I see forward for an better vehicle damage and some "physic updates".

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG