The online racing simulator
Quote from nisskid :why would it? LFS is designed to sim the physics of driving a car, whether people use it for race or drift wont matter.

and most people would argue simply racing around a circuit is pointless, and well, it is, but **** its fun, same as drifting, its not there to have a point, its there to be fun.

Like I said, "pointless" is maybe not the ideal word. You could argue about that forever. What is the point of anything, right?

It's that drifting is an impractical use of a racing car. In racing, you're trying to go as fast as you can and the car is designed and setup to do that within the racing regulations. In drifting you're purposely forcing the car to behave in an inefficient manner.

"I just don't get it"!
Quote from Ikaponthus :Like I said, "pointless" is maybe not the ideal word. You could argue about that forever. What is the point of anything, right?

It's that drifting is an impractical use of a racing car. In racing, you're trying to go as fast as you can and the car is designed and setup to do that within the racing regulations. In drifting you're purposely forcing the car to behave in an inefficient manner.

Ah **** it. You could sum up my view by: "I just don't get it"!

drift cars are drift cars, they arnt race cars, they do what they are designed for. race cars are designed to go fast around a circuit, they do what they were designed for efficiently. drift cars are designed to drift around the circuit, they do what they were designed for efficiently. its all relative, what makes going around a circuit fast any more purposeful that drifting?

ill go back to this, what is the purpose of racing, hell what is the purpose of sport, why do people do it? because they enjoy it, they get something out of it, if you dont do something unnecessary for enjoyment, why do it? drift is fun to participate in and spectate, unfortunately for you, you have not experienced either, i havnt met anyone who has been to a drift event and hasnt enjoyed it, hell my 70 year old grandma loved it. i genuinely think you would enjoy it if you went to an event, but if your not willing to try something new i cant change that.
Quote from Ikaponthus :Like I said, "pointless" is maybe not the ideal word. You could argue about that forever. What is the point of anything, right?

"I just don't get it"!

Your just TRYING to have an argument here. You should be on the olympic board and ban figure skating, same thing here.

If someone goes and builds a car that is intended to be drifted in, its not a race car is it? Its a drift car.

You say inefficient manner? Then whats the "efficient" manner? What if I think that the efficient manner is driving at low revs at low speeds, as you would on real roads.

I think your the only one in here that doesn't understand why people drift, having being told several (hundred) reasons why people do you still refuse to accept people are allowed to like things different to you.
he just joined... he may be picking up the vibes of the bigots around the forums and he is just trying to fit in with "the crowd"
This Agapanthus chap has turned into quite the troll. At first he just seemed like a guy who'd never heard of drifting and was asking honest questions to educate himself. Now, it seems, I stand corrected and the little chap's grown tusks, moved into a hole under a bridge and has started a diet based on small goats.

I won't bother re-telling you what you've been told about the sport of drifting, Spartacus, but I will quite happily tell you to pull your head in and stop being so purposely & bafflingly obtuse. You've been told what drifting's about more than once, so please either accept it, shut up and move on or, failing that (which seems likely) just shut up.

If you still don't "get" drifting that's not the fault of anyone here. If you don't understand drifting then in the same vein I'm equally sure you don't understand vert, flatland or freestyle BMX, figure skating, rhythmic gymnastics, dressage, ballroom dancing or any other sport that's judged on subjective, stylistic criteria But I don't think that's the case. Rather, it seems you're into annoying people because you can. Very productive.

Epic fail.
i think drifting is awesome, it's a get together show off of car control skills...

but speaking of trolling and posts...
DAMN, my post counts are going down... it's nearly half of what it was before...

btw, Ikaponthus did you even bother posting or reading the Newb forums?

mind giving us a background story?
would be nice!
Quote :I think your the only one in here that doesn't understand why people drift, having being told several (hundred) reasons why people do you still refuse to accept people are allowed to like things different to you.

Seriously.

Are you ****ing joking!?

I've said a million times that I don't mind people drifting in LFS or in real life and that everyone likes different things. I don't like drifting and some people seem not to be able to accept that. You obviously aren't even reading what I post!!

I honestly don't care what other people do.

And no, I'm not being a Troll. I'm having a discussion about something. What's the big deal? People disagree. I'm not angry at anyone, I don't dislike anyone here. I'm just discussing the topic. No need to get defensive or insulted.

If you don't want to talk about it, don't click on the thread, don't read it and most of all, don't reply. Problem solved.
the problem is, your post is fine until you add some little tag line that starts the argument all over again. It would be beneficial to the people who are trying to have a real discussion if you didn't post here anymore. You're just causing the discussion to go in circles.
Fair enough then, I actually think you are right. I'm going to stop posting in this thread it's getting silly, but that's only partly my fault. People shouldn't be so insulted and defensive. But I shouldn't push my opinion so hard either.
Fantastic, looks like its all resolved. Yay no need to discuss this topic ever again
Just to overthrow a few myths that some ignorant/uninformed people have commented here on drifting.

First of all Drifters can race, it all depends on the skill of the driver. A well versed driver is able to handle all styles of automotive sports in this case drifting, racing as well as rally and drag. Drifting and power-sliding are very different even, drifting is where the driver is engaged in a slide but lessons the angle so there is no loss in speed otherwise called a Controlled slide.Power-sliding being the opposite description and whereas called a uncontrolled slide.
In real life, leading world-class drifters are high level racers. Here e2mustang, blackman, ozans and myself hold a number of world records in racing namely ozans holding 3 WR's, e2mustang and blackman 12 WR's and myself holding 6 WR's and yet with those creditentials we drift as well.

Secondly drifting is more of a sport based on control and style, still very difficult to do at high levels but is based on three fundamental points: Angle, Speed and line, how many degrees of angle can be achieved while still maintaining a high speed and taking the ideal line in the drift, the closer to the wall and/or closer to the leader of the twin drift the better but again is it not a race and therefore not attempting to gain a faster time and passing the opponent during the drift, Although passing can be done but is only really done if the leader of the twin drift crashes or makes a mistake otherwise if not, the following drifter will attempt to get close as possible to the leading drifter throughout the run.

Here is an example - two videos of professional drifters in a twin drift.
(2nd Video - I do not support street racing/drifting. Is used only for educational purposes and is done in controlled conditions ]

One of the best twin drifts ever recorded on video - http://youtube.com/watch?v=qTs2aORTdR0

Touge Twin Drifting -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ex9XgnYgKW4

After watching those videos, Now tell me how can that not be exilerating, racing still is of course but dont exclude drifting out of it as well.
#238 - Woz
Quote from D E V I L -Z- :(2nd Video - I do not support street racing/drifting. Is used only for educational purposes and is done in controlled conditions

Sorry but you lost ALL credibility with that second video. Drifting has NO PLACE EVER on a public road. Only an absolute MORON would consider it OK.

If you are into this sort of thing I hope that when you wrap yourself around something (AND YOU WILL) it is NOT a person coming the other way. I would prefer its was something like a tree so that you don't harm/kill anyone else, JUST YOURSELF!

I mean this with REAL convition BTW, sick of these morons on the streets thinking what they are doing is OK, it is NOT.

This is not an attack on drifting on tracks, JUST public roads! When the drift community starts to realise its not ok it will get the credibility is wants, until then more inocent people will CONTINUE to die and the to the public the sport will remain in the gutter. If you can't understand this you ARE part of the problem
Woz: Same can be said about street racers, who race on straightways, do races trough traffic on autobahns, race on touges etc. And I bet there are more racers racing ilegally on streets than there are drifters drifting ilegally on streets.
well said
#241 - Woz
Quote from kamkorPL :Woz: Same can be said about street racers, who race on straightways, do races trough traffic on autobahns, race on touges etc. And I bet there are more racers racing ilegally on streets than there are drifters drifting ilegally on streets.

100% correct in every way. They are just as bad.

And when this happened recently http://www.newser.com/story/19230.html my reaction was "Good a load of street racers off the road and this time it was an inocent that killed them!". A taste of their own carnage they feel happy to inflict of the rest of us.

Poor bloke in the car comes round a corner and is blinded and has no outs. Sounds like his passenger died and he got hurt. If you support street racing and drifting this is what you support.

So to recap

Street racer and street drifter. HOPE YOU ALL DIE in a nasty smash WITHOUT hitting an inocent. You deserve it for the risk you put us all in. Harsh but I am sure there are many that feel the same way. We are sick of your SHITE!
Ah.. Accident like that must happen someday in my city. There is a spot where "street racers" meet. There are many people, big crowds, even family with children from local "villages". And what's worse, drunk people. Mix that with amateours doing drag races, doing wheelies with motorbikes etc. = the result is obvious. The question is only "When?".
Woz: If you paid attention to my message i posted earlier "Done in Controlled conditions" the roads were blocked off on both ends the following car was the 3rd person video follower, similar to a D1 Street legal sanctioned event. And btw dont go off topic, keep it to the main point.
#244 - Woz
Quote from D E V I L -Z- :Woz: If you paid attention to my message i posted earlier "Done in Controlled conditions" the roads were blocked off on both ends the following car was the 3rd person video follower, similar to a D1 Street legal sanctioned event. And btw dont go off topic, keep it to the main point.

But "Done with controlled conditions" means a lot of different things to different people. As you cleared up what you meant I take back some of what I said.

My views on street racers and drifters stands 100% though

BTW. It is NOT off topic at all. The "Street" community is big and it is the face of your sport to most of the public. Thay are what holds back acceptance of your sport. This is why threads like "What's the fascination with drifting?" come from
theres many things you can do in a drift race meaning becoming apro you have to make a drift from the begginng to the end o the turn drifting, theres many techniques plus you have to manage your tires while keeping up with the leading car and or pass while drifting thats pro drifitng for ya
fascination of drifting: when you are in a cop chase in cruising servers, the cops PIT u and u can stop the pit by drifting Drifting: easier to turn: faster cornering.
Haha, this thread is lol.

Drift hater comes in with preconceived notions.

Drift hater: PLZ explain what's so good about drifting?

For several pages people explain.

Drift hater ignores.

Drift hater: PLZ explain what's so good about drifting?

Anyway, sometimes drifting is a faster way around a turn than grip. Keiichi Tsuchiya (Drift King) has shown it to be true in touge races. So it's not just an exhibition technique.
Quote from D E V I L -Z- :Drifting and power-sliding are very different even, drifting is where the driver is engaged in a slide but lessons the angle so there is no loss in speed otherwise called a Controlled slide.Power-sliding being the opposite description and whereas called a uncontrolled slide.

not really, powersliding is a part of drifting, it describes the part of using drive (power) to slide the car. some people consider this drift but the general consenus is that this is only one element, using momentum on entry and initiating the drift are one of the most important parts of the drift, just putting on the power coming out of the corner is rarely considered skillful, although what can be done with powersliding can be very skillful.

Quote from D E V I L -Z- :One of the best twin drifts ever recorded on video - http://youtube.com/watch?v=qTs2aORTdR0

not even close, a very popular video thats been circulating the internet for ages, its very old, and probably only made its success from being one of the very early decent vids of D1 drifters on the internet, it reality it's nothing special, those kind of battles are recreated every day in Japan. to see the real close drifitng your probably better off looking into more local comps like MSC, the proximity there is insane. ill try and dig up a few vids.

heres some:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gsTBEXlu_Fg (wait til half way)
just have a look at this guys MSC vids: http://youtube.com/user/motorsportscom
Quote from Woz :Sorry but you lost ALL credibility with that second video. Drifting has NO PLACE EVER on a public road. Only an absolute MORON would consider it OK.

If you are into this sort of thing I hope that when you wrap yourself around something (AND YOU WILL) it is NOT a person coming the other way. I would prefer its was something like a tree so that you don't harm/kill anyone else, JUST YOURSELF!

I mean this with REAL convition BTW, sick of these morons on the streets thinking what they are doing is OK, it is NOT.

This is not an attack on drifting on tracks, JUST public roads! When the drift community starts to realise its not ok it will get the credibility is wants, until then more inocent people will CONTINUE to die and the to the public the sport will remain in the gutter. If you can't understand this you ARE part of the problem

haha, do you actually know how many people have died from street drifting? i personally dont have an issue with drifting in remote places where there is no one else around, it doesnt affect the sports reputation and it doesnt kill people, the worst that happens is you damage your car.

unfortunately in some areas there arent any tracks, or hell simply not enough track days, i figure its better for them to vent their steam on a remote road than something in the middle of the city, when it comes down to it, the amount of people who die from drifting in the industrial areas would be so minimal, if even existant, your probably more at risk of driving in peak hour traffic and through an intersection.

now, im not saying its alright, im just trying to divide the 2 sections i think sometimes get mixed up, idiots who try and powerslide out of a corner in a neighbourhood or in the city are just that idiots, they are putting other people at risk as people are all around and its easy to lose it into another car, or a pedestrian etc. people who go out in a remote location to practice do not put peoples lives at risk, in fact no one even knows they are even there, no one lives for usually at least a few k's from these places, and it takes place when no one is working or even out at the time usually.
Quote from Woz :The "Street" community is big and it is the face of your sport to most of the public. Thay are what holds back acceptance of your sport. This is why threads like "What's the fascination with drifting?" come from

the "street community" im talking about probably 99% of people wouldnt even know about.
This thread is closed

What's the fascination with drifting!?
(354 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG