The online racing simulator
What's the fascination with drifting!?
Browsing these forums, it seems to be really popular! I can't imagine why it would appeal to sim-racing enthusiasts. Certainly is pretty low on my motoring "to do" list, but I don't know too much about it.

As far as I understand, it's maybe the slowest way to corner and couldn't be too healthy for the car either (let alone burning the tyres)!

I see it on youtube too ... what's with these guys? Why would you want to drive a car slowly and dangerously and rip your tyres to shreds? Okay ... so I suppose it could be fun for a while. But apart from that, are there any practical reasons? Or is it just a glorified burnout?

Serious question, I don't know much about it, I'm not trying to wind anyone up.
And while you're at it could someone PLEASE tell me what a "drift car" is?
Quote from March Hare :And while you're at it could someone PLEASE tell me what a "drift car" is?

Easy. It's a car that's modified to perform better in drifing. You could aswell ask what is a drag car, a race car, or ice-cream van.

And on topic, drifting is popular in LFS because it's fun and easy. You can just jump to any server or track with any RWD car and start drifting. No need to practise lines or tweak setups, no need to care what other people do.
Quote from Ikaponthus :so I suppose it could be fun for a while.

You answered your own question with that pretty much.
I think it's more fun to drive fast.

However, I agree sliding around is fun for a bit of light-hearted mucking about - but for how long? Ten minutes? There are people who seem to take it really seriously! I could have sworn I saw a "drifting" race on television before I left for Ireland! And it seems on YouTube there's some professional "drifting racers" in Japan! If it's just a bit of fun driving a car sideways, how can they be professionals? And how can they "race"? Anyone who decided to drive properly would lap them all! Is there any practical benefit to it? Because it seems to me the worst way you could choose to drive on a racing track - slow, dangerous and killing your tyres/car.

I like to have a car that's a little bit loose - a tiny bit of sliding here and there just to rotate the car into the corner neatly, but what I'm talking about is a barely perceptible slip compared to "drift racing" which seems ... just odd.

I'm not trying to be condescending, I really just don't understand the fascination or popularity at all.
what's the fascination with trying to drive a good lap?

To drift to a pro level is pretty tricky stuff, and just as valid as any other form of motoring.

What's the point of kicking a leather ball around a pitch, or painting a picture, or writing a song.???

maybe if you invested some time to actually doing it, and understanding what it takes to do it like a pro you might understand why it's so popular.
Quote from frokki :
And on topic, drifting is popular in LFS because it's fun and easy. You can just jump to any server or track with any RWD car and start drifting. No need to practise lines or tweak setups, no need to care what other people do.

I wouldn't say it's as hard as rocket science, but to say it's easy in a way like "no need to practise lines or tweak setups, no need to care what other people do" sure is a bit far from reality.

To just powerslide in a corner isn't hard at all, i agree. But to actually do proper drifting (early initiation, corner linking, etc) sure demands some practise, skill, taking/learning the right lines, setup tweaking and all that.

In all the discussions about drifting, i see people saying "ohh, i don't dislike drifters or drifting in general... it's just those noobs with the bad attitude which are pissing me off". But still there is all this "down talking" about drifting all the time. It's getting annoying, really.
Quote from Intrepid :what's the fascination with trying to drive a good lap?

Well, you're trying to see how fast you can make the car go... it's basic yes, but there is actually a point. I don't know what drifting is trying to achieve at all!

Quote :To drift to a pro level is pretty tricky stuff, and just as valid as any other form of motoring.

How on earth does one become a pro "drifter"?

Quote :What's the point of kicking a leather ball around a pitch, or painting a picture, or writing a song.???

All of those things have very clearly defined goals. I still don't know what is the goal of drifting. It's getting a racing car and making it go slowly and eating the tyres and the only reason I can fathom so far is "it's fun". Which is fair enough, but I'm just trying to ascertain if there is something more to it, or is it just for a shits and giggles?

Quote :maybe if you invested some time to actually doing it, and understanding what it takes to do it like a pro you might understand why it's so popular.

I believe you that to "drift like a pro", whatever that means, might be difficult. But I still don't know why you'd want to master this seemingly useless talent, except because it's funny to do it!
Quote :In all the discussions about drifting, i see people saying "ohh, i don't dislike drifters or drifting in general... it's just those noobs with the bad attitude which are pissing me off". But still there is all this "down talking" about drifting all the time. It's getting annoying, really.

Hmmm ... sorry I honestly wasn't aware that this occurred!!

I thought everyone thought it was cool and I was the one left a bit confused.

I don't want to talk down to anyone, and I can accept it's fun in the same way as doing doughnuts or eating ice cream is fun.

But to be a professional ice-cream eater or "burnout-pro"? It seems to me the same thing almost.
Quote from jibber :I wouldn't say it's as hard as rocket science, but to say it's easy in a way like "no need to practise lines or tweak setups, no need to care what other people do" sure is a bit far from reality.

Dunno, I was just speaking from my own experience. If I join a race on a combo I've never raced before, I'm having a hard time to keep with the others that have already been racing there for a while, because I have no clue about braking and turn-in points. But if I'd join a drift server, it's just about flooring the pedal and countersteering.
Professional drifting sees competitors judged on their lines (following the racing line), speed and angle. If you want to do it seriously, you can enter competitions.

I guess some do it for the adrenaline rush of entering a cornet at 70mph going sideways.
Quote from mcintyrej :I guess some do it for the adrenaline rush of entering a cornet at 70mph going sideways.

That would be scary!
Quote from Ikaponthus :Well, you're trying to see how fast you can make the car go... it's basic yes, but there is actually a point. I don't know what drifting is trying to achieve at all!

Is there a point to getting a fast time? Not really, no more point than a matador killing a bull. Sport is not a 'productive' activity, it is a waste product. Which gives it a function if you really need to...

Quote :How on earth does one become a pro "drifter"?

Pretty much the same way anyone becomes a professional in any career. Money, luck, talent, and blowjobs (sometimes)

Quote :I still don't know what is the goal of drifting.

Drifting is the utterly necessary, Dionysian counterpart to Motorsport's obsession with time.
Quote from Ikaponthus :Might be fun but anyone racing properly would skin them both alive. Which would be more of a rush IMO.

Whatever...

Hey, did anyone get any valentine cards?
What's with you trying to get yourself some brownie points.
What do you mean "whatever"? You think they wouldn't?

Screw Valentines day.
If you want my opinion, racing and drifting is 2 different thing that can't really compare. It's like saying figure skating shouldn't be at the olympic game because speed skating is way better. They just can't compare. One give point for move you do and the other on second you save.
Simple:

Those who can, Race. Those who cannot, Drift.
Instead of all you drifters getting defensive and agressive why don't you just explain to the OP what the point of drifting is?

I know little to nothing about drifting but even I can work out that there is some skill in being able to control a car on the limit whilst the tyres are spinning. As far as I can see this is the point of drifting. Just like attempting the fastest lap times and beating your oponents by avoiding exactly that situation is the point of normal racing. I would assume that drifters get points for going around circuits or courses etc taking the best lines or achieving the fastest times whilst still being considered to be "drifting". At the end of the day its all about clutch and steering control attempting to keep the car balanced while trying to achieve a specific objective. Exactly the same as you do in a normal race, except that the objective is different.

The only element I would say was missing from drifting that you need in spades in "normal" racing is guts. It takes guts and a complete lack of fear to be right out there on the limit doing the kinds of speeds that normal racing achieves in real life. The control required for drifting may be the same but in general the speeds are much lower, (as far as I'm aware anyway).
Quote from srdsprinter :Simple:

Those who can, Race. Those who cannot, Drift.

Good drifters race aswell, and if they do, they are usually among the faster drivers.
In Formula D, which is "professional drifting," they aren't really racing. They're scored on proximity, angle, speed, etc.

Arguing and getting uppity about it is absolutely pointless. This is like people arguing about how circletrack racing is boring, or how F1 is stupid because the cars are too fast, or equally idiotic arguments that are based around OPINION.

If you don't like drifting, don't drift. It's not a big deal. If you don't like F1 cars, don't drive them.

Don't even start to argue that any kind of racing takes less skill, or that people who can't race; drift. You have never done it, and judging from the level of maturity around here, you have never driven in a race based around speed or laptimes in actual life, and not in a game.

I'm not defending drifting, I'm not saying it's better than anything else. Everyone has their own tastes. Stop worrying about it (I will note one thing; there seem to be a lot more jerks on drift servers. I imagine this is because drifting is currently the hot new thing to do, and it attracts people who have the STREET RACER DRIFTUUUUU attitude).

EDIT for more clarity and irritation; someone racing normally would certainly "beat" someone who is drifting. Speed around a course is not the point. Arguing that "BUT US REAL DRIVERS GET AROUND CORNERS FASTER" is completely against the point.
Quote from Ikaponthus :But apart from that, are there any practical reasons?

It's a great way to get change dislodged from under the seat.
LOL! I like your humor!
This thread is closed

What's the fascination with drifting!?
(354 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG