The online racing simulator
FAO England/Scotland/Wales teams
Figured it might as well be brought up now seeing as its been pretty much confirmed for the last week maybe, these 3 countries (+ any N.Ireland folks) are being combined to create a 'Great Britain' team.

The main reason for this is 2 fold:
1) England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland... they're not actually countries, so the decision was taken to instead use Great Britain. Its what our passports say, whether were English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish.
2) It should ensure a stronger line-up, and the 4 nations get to take part, i think Scotland almost certainly would have suffered.
C'd and P'd from the Welsh forum.

Funny you posted this Paul. I was thinking about this at the weekend.

I would like to see a unified team (in British Racing Green ) happen.

It would be a stronger entry (more than the some of its parts), and it will give Welsh and Scottish drivers a chance to compete as their teams are looking a little bit thin on the ground - although with the greatest respect Scotland and Wales are rather small countries by population, combined both of them are smaller than Belgium.

I would not like to see it rammed down anyone's throats, but it's fine with me and I would be willing to work with those standing for manager and everyone else in all of the other teams to ensure that the United Kingdom enjoys great success in the LFSWS - wether I am elected or not.
Dunno, two minds about this TBH.

They ARE seperate countries, which is why we have English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish football, rugby etc etc etc teams.

Yes, it would give "us" a stronger team, but it would still be nice to drive for your country, rather than the collective UK/GB.
Well from Wales point of view I don't think we have enough signups to do this on our own...
Great plan. I much prefer this too
Dan:
Yeah, i know its a little backwards, but from what i understand, Eng/Sco/Wal/N.Ire are nations, not countries.

The arguement of having seperate national football teams is just that, they're individual nations, not countries. Likewise you could argue there isnt a Eng/Sco/Wal/N.Ire Olympic team, its GB, and if we wanted to enter a GB football team were within our rights to do so, but my understanding is that we'd be forced to enter FIFA events with only a GB team, but thats something ive never fully understood, so take that with a pinch of salt.

A 'country' has to have its own independance, under its own law and a few other technical requirements to define it as a country. England & Co are under a UK government, Scotland and Wales have their own (or at least i recall Wales wanting their own) but they still have to tow the line on some issues.
I gather a 'nation' is basically anything that falls short of being a country.

I'll do some digging on what defines both, i suspect a simple dictionary check wont clearly distinguish the 2, but google should hold the answers.

Here's a good article with what i'd assume are the official 8 requirements, and explanations as to how England does or doesnt qualify for each:
England: http://geography.about.com/od/ ... eography/a/englandnot.htm
Scotland: http://geography.about.com/od/ ... ography/a/scotlandnot.htm
Same kinda reasoning for each, however they point out that the 'independance' Scotland has in its governing is granted by UK government, i guess it has the power to pull the rug from under them too.
The final line of both sums things up though:
Quote :Thus, as you can plainly see, England (nor Wales, nor Northern Ireland, nor Scotland) is not an independent country; England is an internal division of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thus, as you can plainly see, Scotland (nor Wales, nor Northern Ireland, nor England itself) is not an independent country nor is it a State. However, Scotland is most certainly a nation of people living in an internal division of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

edit #2
its possible the arguement could be that its UK which is the country, not GB, im confused as heck eitherway! But as we enter the Olympics as GB and not UK i think there may be some reasoning there which explains things, though im not sure what it is.

Answers on a postcard.

edit #3
http://geography.about.com/library/faq/blqzuk.htm
Suggests UK is the country, GB is no more than a collection of regions.... who knows, who cares Im not in the least bit patriotic so i couldnt give a hoot
It's interesting, Scotland certainly have their own laws and parliment, and Wales recently were given their indepenence (I think, or something like that).

But as for the definition of a country or nation, I don't really know TBH.

I can see that it would help nations () like Wales, who don't have a great number of racers.

TBH, I have no strong feelings either way, so I would be happy with whatever the majority chooses
#8 - Bean0
Answer in a post...
(Paperless is the wayforwards, dontchaknow )

What is the difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain, and England?

The United Kingdom is a country that consists of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In fact, the official name of the country is "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

Great Britain is the name of the island northwest of France and east of Ireland that consists of three somewhat autonomous regions: England, Wales and Scotland.

Therefore, England is part of Great Britain, which is part of the United Kingdom. The U.K. includes England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are not countries but the United Kingdom is. The remaining portion of the island of Ireland (that which is not the U.K.'s Northern Ireland) is an independent country called the Republic of Ireland (Eire).

The British Isles consist of the two large islands known as Great Britain and Ireland along with the many small islands nearby. The countries of the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland occupy the British Isles, which are separated by St. George's Channel.
Basically, there is no real England, Scotland and Wales. We have one seat in the UN (and if we were separate it wouldn't be on the security council). We have one team in the Olympics. One ASN.

That aside, a merged team would be stronger. And we could use proper colours - BRG
Quote from sidi :I think the same could be said of the Scottish. If the English guys don't mind us nubs gatecrashing i think a UK team would be better overall.

It's all good

Just make sure you get your 'nub' teammate Mr Mooney involved, ye ken
We're only allowing you scots in for the Bawsack, im gonna chain him to the computah and force the n00b to drive!
If it's a merge could we do that with the subforums?
We're not staying here, its too messy and nothing can be said in private if every man and his dog can wander in and see whats being discussed.

We will make a move over to the alternative location once the final teams have been picked and announced, otherwise we have 20-30 countries worth of drivers going over there and then being told they wont be invited into this round for whatever reason.

The official forum for the series has forum for all LFSWS matters, including a sub-forum for each country. Each countries subforum is only accessable to people in that countries usergroup, and with this we can control who can see what meaning there shouldnt be any spying unless someone is granted permission into 2 countries usergroups (unlikely!).
In each subforum the manager vote will be done, ensuring the vote is by teammates of the same nationality not anyone who wanders in, and each group will be able to put up attachments for setups or whatnot which again people outside the usergroup wont have permission to access. Its all nicely themed for each country too

PM's will be sent to everyone thats signed up for the series and their country is competing, letting them know of the move. We already have a few (15-20) people i've already assigned to their countries as they're already registered there, inc 9 for GB/UK.
Infact, once we move over, along with the manager vote we'll hold a vote for whether were listed as GB or UK, i prefer GB because of the Olympic teams and in A1GP were down as GB also, but if people feel UK is more appropriate then we can go with that as there does seem to be evidence suggesting it should be UK, despite the fact in significant sporting events, we use GB.
sweet Rule Britiannia
-
(Rdcranno) DELETED by Rdcranno

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG