The online racing simulator
Autoshow Damage info w/ damage
Haven't seen this one yet...

I think that when damage is incurred (which would be shown on the F10 readout) that the F10 readout should display automatically for a few seconds so you don't have to press F10 manually and lose focus. Of course F10 should still work, and if you run with the F9 readout on all the time of course it should switch back... It should just display the F10 info and then switch back to whatever was showing previously after a few seconds.

Im not too keen on this idea. Are you saying that F10 should auto come up, with what damage your car has??

If so, im again not keen on the idea, because it would personally annoy me. Another thing is i dont think you need to know what damage you car has, as long as it makes it to the pits. But, this maybe useful when we have better damage models ie time advance damage (as already sujested) buring out cluchs and various other things.

but for those like the idea of this, an option would be needed to turn it on and off, and maybe display what details are shown.

Marsden1002
I'm afraid I don't like it, forcing stuff on the screen at an inconvenient time would distract me more than pressing f10 when I've planned and accounted for it.
But pressing F10 to look manually is more realistic?

I like the idea. Of course as an option and not forced to everyone
Yes and no as to it being realistic. In some racing series (read: F1) the driver's engineers/pit crew will be in radio contact to tell the driver exactly what is wrong (can be seen e.g. from live telemetry data). With the absence of such a fantastic group of engineers to back you, F10 is probably a decent alternative. Of course it shouldn't really be available for most of the LFS races but it is what it is

I don't see any point in making it automatically popping up though until we get damage modelling that can occur without the driver noticing. Currently one can immediately tell what's wrong.
I think its a good idea as an option. I'd probably turn it off myself though as its pretty easy in LFS to check your damage. Just one button that I have mapped to my wheel anyway.
ISI sims could really do with this though, cycling through that bloody LCD display to find it is highly distracting (although no doubt someone will tell me you can bind a key to each screen).
i think also it is useful!
as an option of course
why not!
I'd throw away the F9 and F10 screens, simply because there isn't any real life series or a car that can give you those numbers through some "menu". The system in Nascar with the commentator saying things like: "there is something wrong with the engine!" or "are you ok?" () is more realistic. The bad thing is that we have got too used to having those screens...

Of course it is great to be able to see your tire temperatures while sitting in the car, but... And I guess that only on higher levels on motorsports you have those electronic gadgets telling the pit crew about the engine temps and suspension telemetrics. The rest use smoke signals
#9 - herki
IRL you can get a live tyre temperature readout (no dirt-on-tyre-readout though), but the F10 screen is defenitaly unrealistic.
i don't oppose the auto-F10 as an option, but i'd never use it. i hate, when things pop up, without me saying them to.
Well, if someone goes out to a trackmeet in their car then they wouldn't have radio comminications, and would be careful not to make any contact at all. I guess it would be different for the racecars.
Quote from marsden1002 :Im not too keen on this idea. Are you saying that F10 should auto come up, with what damage your car has??

If so, im again not keen on the idea, because it would personally annoy me. Another thing is i dont think you need to know what damage you car has, as long as it makes it to the pits. But, this maybe useful when we have better damage models ie time advance damage (as already sujested) buring out cluchs and various other things.

but for those like the idea of this, an option would be needed to turn it on and off, and maybe display what details are shown.

Marsden1002

Lots of times in races there is incidental contact, and sometimes it damages things and sometimes not. If someone clips me slightly I would like to know right away if I'm running some "modified geometry" and not have to wait until convenient to hit F10, meanwhile wondering if I am going to have to brake 50M earlier to make a turn so I can pit without wrecking further.... Yesterday I didn't even realize that I had bent something going over a curb because it didn't seem like a serious event, but I ran slower for a few laps before checking damage out of curiosity. As far as it being "realistic" or not, realism to me has mainly to do with physics. Since our interaction with the physics is inherantly unrealistic, visual aids that provide feedback we would normally get through our rear end seems reasonable.... And of course there would be the option to turn it off. I'm certain it would take 2 seconds to code since the event is already there (the damage bars flash red when they incur damage even as it is), just have that trigger a 2 or 3 second display of the F10 screen...
I want nothing forced infront of my eyes, I am capable of pressing F10 myself.
I don't think this idea is bad at all. Of course we'd include it as an option, but I have found myself getting distracted trying to find F10 quite often actually. Although you should also be able to set a severity-threshold, so you don't get the F10 menu because you just bottomed out and damaged your suspension by 0.001%
In theory I wouldn't have any real problems with an option like this, as long as: a) I had the option of turning it off as popups are bloody annoying enough as it is without having them in one of my favourite games, and b) it wasn't likely to hold up any further improvements in gameplay.

I actually think I might use this feature if I had the option of cancelling some damage repairs, e.g. light panel/suspension damage isn't going to hurt me in a race so I wouldn't want to wait all that time for it to be repaired, especially if I was near the end of a long race and was in a good position...
As to the suggestion, I have one problem with it. In real life a driver must notice himself if there is something wrong with the car. Not that the car is telling the driver that a suspension arm is bent. And in real life you can sense these thing from several sources, the steering wheel shakes and rumbles and some nice additional sound can be heard.

But I'm not really against the suggestion, more like that I wish the F9/F10 displays are only a temporary thing. It does not disturb me at all, it just isn't realistic. As I said earlier, people have got maybe too used to having those displays. I have too . It feels little strange to play GPL without knowing the tire temps and F10s but... Nascar has this tire temp thing too, don't know about rFactor/GTR/NFSU

For me it is a habbit that I always check the F10 if I suspect that there is something wrong. And about 3-4 times per lap I check tire temps... Even if I know that they are ok...but only in race cars, no use checking tire temps on MRT/UF1 so often.

And you could easily combine the F9 and F10 into a one screen. Check the attachment. Though it's quite obvious...

EDIT: 1 post and 500.
Attached images
F91.jpg
Hell yes! A combined display would rock
Quote from AndroidXP :Hell yes! A combined display would rock

Yup good idea.
Nice one Android
Quote from Hyperactive :As to the suggestion, I have one problem with it. In real life a driver must notice himself if there is something wrong with the car. Not that the car is telling the driver that a suspension arm is bent. And in real life you can sense these thing from several sources, the steering wheel shakes and rumbles and some nice additional sound can be heard.

But I'm not really against the suggestion, more like that I wish the F9/F10 displays are only a temporary thing. It does not disturb me at all, it just isn't realistic. As I said earlier, people have got maybe too used to having those displays. I have too . It feels little strange to play GPL without knowing the tire temps and F10s but... Nascar has this tire temp thing too, don't know about rFactor/GTR/NFSU

For me it is a habbit that I always check the F10 if I suspect that there is something wrong. And about 3-4 times per lap I check tire temps... Even if I know that they are ok...but only in race cars, no use checking tire temps on MRT/UF1 so often.

And you could easily combine the F9 and F10 into a one screen. Check the attachment. Though it's quite obvious...

EDIT: 1 post and 500.

Great idea Hyperactive. Could probably merge F11 and F12 too, and spread it over the screen a bit more. As it is it takes up too much of the side of the screen to drive with properly.

I like your example too - looks nice like that.

Edit: Why are people congratulating Android? Didn't Hyper think it up in post #17??????????????
I love that screen, Hyper... Implement it Devs!
errm I take it back AndroidXP.... Great suggestion Hyper...
LoL, herd phenomenon? Heheh
BAAAaaaaaa
+1

Indeed it would be awesome to have a better display of things. If you can actually optimize the size of the window that contains the information. For example, the darkened area around the set up changes could be reduced, making the box itself as small as possible that contains the information. Know what I'm saying?
Whoa, blast from the past.

And I still think this is a good idea

.... Yes I think I know what you're saying... Use the space wisely and whatnot....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG