The online racing simulator
for some reason i get best results with "1x2 SS + 4x MS" in the combined area with 8xS radio button checked.

I cant use Super - transparancy AA. I get lots of graphic artifacts.

I need to use Multi - transparancy AA.

ive got it running better, with new textures and skies but still, i get a bit of slow down. I think its at a good balance right now.

but i think i will turn some settings down at times for performance.

attached is the latest results
Attached images
richy_graphics_004.jpg
Quote from richy :I cant use Super - transparancy AA. I get lots of graphic artifacts.

The Geforce 6 series doesn't support transparency AA, and doesn't support super sampling AA. Only the 7 series and up.
Quote from word. :The Geforce 6 series doesn't support transparency AA, and doesn't support super sampling AA. Only the 7 series and up.

which makes for some really awful graphics effects on my screen it seems, damn it. I cant be arsed to spend the money on a new one ill just suffer this crap until it dies a lonely death in my computer.
This guide has improved my graphics no end!
i set the AA to 32X as my system couldnt handle 64 even though its brand new lol. i mean it ran the game but it started to lag so i set it to 32X, maxed everything else out.

maxed all the game settings out and dl'ed all the hi res packs too (skies, tracks, lights, steering wheel, wiper blades etc).

It is the best graphics i have seen. its amazing.

thanks jakg.
Updated for the new link for the complete hi-res pack by the LFS Database Guys.
Ohhh great update. Thanks .
Guys, I've updated to the nVidia 163.71 WHQL verified drivers and now my LFS looks sh!t again. I've checked the nHancer AND the nVidia Control Panel show the improvements, but its just not happening. See the screenshot for what I mean.

Obviously I've not shown the other screens, but the improvements aren't showing. I've got a league match in an hour and I'm really needing some help if anyone can please...
(by the way, I've just upgraded nHancer to version 2.3.1 which is nVidia v163 compatible... no difference)
Just a question Jakg, does Nhancer has to be on/started with Windows and sit on the taskbar in order to work with LFS?
Nope, it loads everything into the nVidia drivers profile thingy, so you don't need nHancer open.
Has anyone else found nHancer plain unstable? Crashing at startup? Changes you make not being reflected in the game? I'm having a nightmare with it
No i haven't - all i can recommend is to download all the latest versions of it and the nVidia drivers and to a complete clean un/re-install.
Has anyone noticed that's there is a significant difference between Nvidia and Ati Cards...

out of what i've gathered here is my thoughts:

ATI X1900xtx : Excellent overall quality detail, not as good as the nvidia in filtering, but the strongest point it's antialiasing and texture placement.

Nvidia 8800 series: Excelent quality in filtering, extremely detailed textures, but texture placement and antialiasing is not as good as ATI's... even at 16x vs 6x with the ATI, the screenshot is taken at 8x

Wich one is the best... well, in the racing experience there is little to attend to the texture filtering when it comes to extreme as it does the nvidia. but the "this is not a game anymore" felling comes at hand with the ATI, because you can't see texture pixel borders even from far away, the blending of the whole scene is smoother and more natural. Nvidia's attention to detail and sharpness resulted in poor texture blending at the horizon level with the shadows over the track, making it distracting while trying to see the next turn.

Conclusion pros/cons:

ATI X1900xtx: my choice, less fps, better image blending, ocassional big black untextured glitches from time to time. this quality is unconfirmed for the HD series of the ATI boards... but if it remains the same with a fps boost, it would be a far better choice against nvidia.

Nvidia 8800gts: great fps, excelent texture detailing, poor image blending with aliasing effect in the horizon.

PD: If anyone knows how to fix the black textures glitches from the ati or the aliasing effect in the horizon of the nvidia... i'd appreciate it alot. BTW: i'm not an ati fan... in fact i hate them, specially the control panel.. but better is better in the end

I've included a screenshot sample... take into account that while even with the jpeg compression the problems with the nvidia board are evident... the original picture it's even more sharper and the aliasing effect is extremely notorious.

ATi on the left, nvidia on the right.. REMEMBER To click on the expand image button on the bottom right of the picture when the picture loads and shrinks to the explorer's size
Attached images
nvidiavsati.jpg
Quote from thisnameistaken :OK... I've got the graphics settings that Jakqui recommends in LFS itself, attachment 1 is the LFS settings in nVidia CP. Attachments 2 and 3 show the distracting mess I get from textures like kerbs and armco barriers.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Textures are LFS default - I don't have any replacement texture packs. Would these help? And if so, which ones are good?

Same problem, 7900 GTO, 8xAA, 16x AF, 1024x68 (yeah, crappy monitor, anything mroe will run at 75 or less Hz, need to get a new one). I see that Negative LOD Bias - Clamp fixed but not for me. I had a 6600 GT before and it was working fine, no shimmering. Anisotropic MIP filter optimization is grayed out but set to off. Any ideas? Running 163.44s.
Interesting comparison.

I think I found a bug in the latest 163.xx compatible nHancer. My nVidia 8800GTS card has the latest 163.71 certified drivers.

even though I'd done the recommended changes in nHancer, LFS looked awful. I opened the nVidia control panel and looked at the LFS game profile. By changing one of the options from application preference to forced it now works - this was set in nHancer but it simply didn't work. Seems one of the options in nHancer doesn't work as it should. If you want more info and screenshots I can provide.

I've now got only very slight jaggies which are nolonger distracting.
-
(horrgakx) DELETED by horrgakx
Great guide, can a mod sticky this please?
hello all. i was wondering if you can help me out with something.
downloaded nHancer before and completed this guide step by step.
but all sharpness is gone now. even after i removed LFS profile in nHancher. now i have no ideas how to get my old and sharp picture back, cause this blur is killing my eyes

ps. sorry for my bad english

all fixed now, changing texture mip bias works again after i reinstalling nvidia drivers.
Attached images
blur.jpg
I assume you like the top picture but the bottom one is the result of nHancer tweaking?
Go back into your LFS profile in nHancer and set everything back to "application controlled".
Quote from horrgakx :I assume you like the top picture but the bottom one is the result of nHancer tweaking?
Go back into your LFS profile in nHancer and set everything back to "application controlled".

this is what i did, then removed LFS profile from nHancer and then removerd the program, but blur is still there.
#194 - dev
Could you try re-downloading LFS? That looks... odd.
#196 - dev
Quote from Jakg :Could you try re-downloading LFS? That looks... odd.

Ok, I will...
#197 - dev
Still the same problem
That's nasty o.O If you're sure the monitor and gfx card are both fine (incl monitor cable), you could try re-installing the gfx drivers, preferably WHQL, I guess.
#199 - dev
Here is what i got...

AA Off -> Ok
AA Multisampling -> Ok
AA Supersampling -> few errors, but still unplayeble
AA Combined -> see screenshot

I'll obviously play with multisampling, but i would really like to know why does supersampling create errors...

EDIT: Interestingly, only 4xS combined creates errors... 8xS and 16xS create a perfect image, but I can't achieve playable framerates when there are >10 cars on screen...
It could just be a bug with the supersampling code of the drivers you're using. If you find the time and effort, it would be interesting to see if a different version of drivers fixes it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG