The online racing simulator
will we be getting a christmas update this year ??
Just wondering
Maybe....
Dunno, Scawen said he'd be starting in earnest on the Physics re-vamp in January, so definitely dont expect a big patch. I guess there might be a little suprise but dont bank on it.
One can only hope , the devs set a kind of a precedence by giving us “something” come Xmas day . But I think we should see S2 Alpha as our very early Xmas gift
No.
No, sorry, there won't be anything this year.

In about November, we hoped to be able to get something together for Christmas, a minor physics update and a new config in one of the tracks. But in fact it became clear that would take too long... no-one really wants a minor physics update with bugs in it. They want a very well tested physics update, including aero and tyres.

Personally, i have been finishing my kitchen which has been in a half-completed state for seven years. Always considering tyre physics and so on, to get on with it in January.
May I ask what's so bad about the tyres?
Quote from SladiVadi :May I ask what's so bad about the tyres?

Well they are close to behaving correctly at all times, but not quite as good as real world tyres in some conditions.

It's mainly about some things they do when they are near their limit of grip, and just over the limit, and how it's affected by applying and removing the power.

BTW, if anyone asks me for more detailed answers, i won't give any. Nothing's clear until i've coded up several testing mechanisims, tyre test rigs and so on when i get back on the case with the physics.
I dont know if this is asking for a more detailed answer, but is that slow speed skidding one of those tire bugs?
Thanks a lot, Scawen! :spike:
Quote from Blackout :I dont know if this is asking for a more detailed answer, but is that slow speed skidding one of those tire bugs?

yes it is
Quote from Scawen :BTW, if anyone asks me for more detailed answers, i won't give any. Nothing's clear until i've coded up several testing mechanisims, tyre test rigs and so on when i get back on the case with the physics.

Code tyre test rigs that sounds very interesting would allow comparisons to real world test data I would guess or at least testing the sim tyres in a controlled environment...

Have a great xmas Scawen, Victor and Eric and see you in the new year! It sounds like a year full of promise

Well, the racers cry that there's something wrong, so ask them

No seriously, the slow speed (< 30-40 km/h) physics are kinda funky, then we also have the dreaded "silent lockups" and contrary to the lesson description, stomping on gas/brake is equally effective as feathering the pedal on the accelleration and brake tests. Also some claim that "regaining grip" is not realistic, but that may be attributed to point #1.

For new features there probably should be a temperature dependend tyre pressure and the amount of dirt that sticks to the tyre should also be proportional to tyre heat.
Quote from XRRoy :yes it is

Its asking for too detailed answer or its one of those bugs?
Quote from Blackout :Its asking for too detailed answer or its one of those bugs?

the bug thingy
Quote from AndroidXP :For new features there probably should be a temperature dependend tyre pressure

Pressure already varies with temperature (of course).

It's only a few psi difference when the tyre gets quite a lot hotter.

The absolute pressure (relative to a vacuum) is proportional to absolute temperature (relative to absolute zero = -273 degrees C).
I'm wondering if the tyre pressure in the setup screen is relative to atmospheric pressure, or absolute? I always thought it was absolute, but recently someone suspected it was relative to the atmospheric pressure.
Quote from Scawen :a new config in one of the tracks.

Woohoo .

Have a nice and relaxed christmas and newyear, team!
Heh..missed that part of the post Now we can start pondering which track would it be, Kyoto or Aston...or something else
i go for Kyoto....
I'm going to go opposite of what everyone else wishes for before Christmas and say Thanks Scawen, because this is my last day at work and last day with fast internet until January. It will be dialup only for 2 weeks at home and I would be pulling my hair out to download an update over my holiday break, LOL. I don't want an update now until at least January, hehehe.

But if you want to release something today before 3:00 pm (15:00) my time, go right ahead .
it's great that scawen made it clear for us not to expect anything. hopefully it will keep the nagging and whining to a minimum this year.

merry merry

lowspeed burnouts overperformance. in other words, the longitudinal grip at high longitudinal slipangles is too high (not enuff performance loss, both on power and braking, but especially on power).
also during this state (high longitudinal slipangle) the lateral grip should be a tad more.
these are adjustments, slight tweaks, nothing radical.

then there are other more "core" stuff and a few things to implement but im not gonna talk about them
Quote from Scawen :Pressure already varies with temperature (of course).

It's only a few psi difference when the tyre gets quite a lot hotter.

The absolute pressure (relative to a vacuum) is proportional to absolute temperature (relative to absolute zero = -273 degrees C).

Oh really? That's great

Looks like it just doesn't make that much of a difference at all. I just suspected this missing because I recently messed with the MRT trying to get an equal tyre load during maximum cornering. So, changing the camber wasn't a big deal but the load still showed the center having less load then the outer tyre parts. I figured this means that the tyres have not enough pressure and so I upped it. I tried again and saw the same thing, although a bit weaker.

Figuring that this may fix itself when the tyres heat up I made a few burnouts to make sure the inner temp is green, then tested the loads again. There was no difference so I thought the inner temp doesn't modify pressure.

So in conclusion, never trust any 'facts' that don't come directly from the devs
Quote from Frankmd :I'm wondering if the tyre pressure in the setup screen is relative to atmospheric pressure, or absolute? I always thought it was absolute, but recently someone suspected it was relative to the atmospheric pressure.

It's relative to atmospheric pressure, just like all tyre pressure measurements in real life. A totally flat tyre reads 0 psi on any guage. But in fact it's not really 0 psi, it's atmospheric pressure. No tyre guage will tell you that a flat tyre is pressurised to 14.7 psi.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG