The online racing simulator
Say thanks?
(119 posts, started )
Please let us turn the 'these people said thanks for this post' list off. It's worse than forums that display usernames in-line with posts rather than on the left like like they are here.

Personally I didn't see anything wrong with +1s. They were nice and simple and I had no trouble going through them
I don't mind the idea of a method to record agreements or +1s without a whole new post, but already the "thanked" lists are cluttering up this thread ... I think a discreet number would be fine and it could just sit next to the thumb icon in the person's post (like STF demo'd in his post). Of course, if you wanted to see the name of each thanker you could simply click the number and see the whole list like you can with poll results
The list gets to be pretty big I agree.

I'd rather see something of this nature with a collapse button beside the thanks button. By default it should all stay collapsed, and then the user can click the button to see the users that thanked the post.
Attached images
thanks_collapse.gif
I`m not going to write +1 since I`v allready added a thanks to this topic, but this is a great feature for this forum board / bord (???).
It probally will help it to keep it more clean, and easier to navigate in a topic instead of hacing 100 +1`s when there is a good suggestion about something.

Thanks for the new implentment!
#30 - Gunn
Quote from andy29 :
Personally I didn't see anything wrong with +1s. They were nice and simple and I had no trouble going through them

+10
Quote from Tweaker :I'd rather see something of this nature with a collapse button beside the thanks button. By default it should all stay collapsed, and then the user can click the button to see the users that thanked the post.

I was about to suggest the same thing.

Now to slap Riders motion...
#32 - JTbo
I hear old farts being against change here

You must try to think harder usefulness of this.

Now let's think that you are the dev, nice feeling isn't it?
Well, someone posts improvement suggestion, there is lot of replies and dev need to go trough all of pages trying to find +1 or whatever from every single post to see if it is really good in opinion of others or is it some shite posted as replies (like it normally is).

What this system changes is that it helps devs to see how many have supported idea from one look from first post. Idea is to say thanks or not to first post, not to posts following it AFAIK.

How much I do charge rent from my brain time again?
#33 - STF
Quote :Idea is to say thanks or not to first post

well, IMO for that you could use the "Thread rating" feature , and you get some pretty little stars after the thread name too.
#34 - JTbo
Quote from STF :well, IMO for that you could use the "Thread rating" feature , and you get some pretty little stars after the thread name too.

Thread rating is for thread rating, it should present quality of discussion on thread, or am I wrong?
#35 - STF
Quote from JTbo :Thread rating is for thread rating, it should present quality of discussion on thread, or am I wrong?

you`re not wrong. if its contents match the original idea in a constructive manner.
consider a thread asking about something(like this? :tilt. wouldn`t you (as thread starter) prefer to see what other people think about other opinions expressed? maybe you`re thinking " hmm, that`s no good" about a certain post, but 1 thousand more say otherwise, they like the idea, or find it useful.(or NOT)
for that, i think it would be best to have a post rating system, that not only replaces "+1", but also "-1", also make sure people don`t abuse those "new groovy buttons". well, after all, it`s common sense.
and about the rating of the first post.. why not consider it a post like any other. in most cases, the first post contains some opinion requests.. and.. not much to be rated there.. only the usefulness of its answers. (sorry for the long post..
The idea is interesting but why "Thanks" instead of "I agree" or "+1" if it is what it is supposed to mean?
#37 - JTbo
Quote from STF :you`re not wrong. if its contents match the original idea in a constructive manner.
consider a thread asking about something(like this? :tilt. wouldn`t you (as thread starter) prefer to see what other people think about other opinions expressed? maybe you`re thinking " hmm, that`s no good" about a certain post, but 1 thousand more say otherwise, they like the idea, or find it useful.(or NOT)
for that, i think it would be best to have a post rating system, that not only replaces "+1", but also "-1", also make sure people don`t abuse those "new groovy buttons". well, after all, it`s common sense.

I don't think -1 would be much of use, nay sayers are ignored anyway

Those with popular interest get more thanks and those subjects with less popular interest get less thanks, even it would feel that getting -1 would help to judge how many % of those that have looked into thread have against it, it still would be quite meaningless when we look issue on hand from bigger scale. If this leads to big wings neons and silly bodykits, then isn't it what majority wants if there is more thanks to it than let's say gearbox oiltemp and bearing condition because of metal particles from bad shifting?

Of course majority is often wrong (ever played lemmings? That really does represent how majority thing works out), but I guess that last part is then up to devs to decide if they like from something or not
-
(aoun) DELETED by Victor : use the thanks feature
Only thing I find annoying is I almost hit the thanks button rather than quick reply.

One other thing I just noticed that is back to normal is the 'new posts' isn't 20 pages long anymore, but the same as it was before then.
It's one of those features that I'll never use because it's a waste of space, and hell, maybe use ad-blocker to block the Thanks button because it's annoying and stupid.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :maybe use ad-blocker to block the Thanks button because it's annoying and stupid.

Never thought of that one, thanks for mentioning .

I'll stick to my +1 replies still at the moment. Because I'd much rather leave a comment along with my +1...... at least the person will know what I agree/approve of whatever is posted.

It isn't necessarily a "thank you" situation either with these posts... but more or less about agreement or disagreement on a subject. How will you know how many people DISAGREE on a particular subject when all you see is a fulfillment of thank yous?. Kind of biased with shortcomings if you ask me.
how are we gonna do +10s if we can only thank once ?
Hurray for creating random demo accounts to spam thanks' with? :P

Ok, so I got the Thanks button blocked, now to get the bloody thanks bit blocked too.
^ If you're using Firefox, install GreaseMonkey and write a JS script that gets rid of 'em.

\/\/\/ Sent you a PM
I'm about as skillful with JS, as a guy with no limbs is as skillful as a surgeon.
It would work great...if we didn't have a group of juvenile posters here. Because of that, I envision 2-3 people who will give each other "thanks" until they reach hundreds, if not thousands of them.

And I think the ones who do that, should be banned for a period of time.
#46 - JTbo
Quote from jayhawk :It would work great...if we didn't have a group of juvenile posters here. Because of that, I envision 2-3 people who will give each other "thanks" until they reach hundreds, if not thousands of them.

And I think the ones who do that, should be banned for a period of time.

I would think that those will stand out from rest rather soon and would be easy to do whatever we please to them, you get that hacksaw, I have sledgehammer
-
(mcintyrej) DELETED by Victor : you know we don't like +1s anymore
-
(chanoman315) DELETED by Victor : use the thanks feature
I am a very minimalist type of guy. I turn off avatars, signatures, smilies, and I adblock a lot of stuff on all the web forums I read.

I just need to see who posted and what they had to say, everything else is web forum 'tuning', ie putting a big fart can muffler on the forum software.

In my opinion, having that big block of wasted space after each and every post showing who 'thanked' is not a good way to get rid of forum clutter, unless I can turn it off in my user control options.

EDIT : I see the block is only under posts that have 'thankers', sorry, it isn't under every post. oops.
I've just noticed... we have a 'thanks count' too... this is going to go downhill very quickly indeed.
James, I have the thanks button gone, I have the Thanks Box gone, now to get a GM script to kill the Thanked $n time in $n post bit, and I'll be happy.
It makes the forum look terrible...Kill it with fire I say.

And up the minimum characters per post to get shot of this +1/-1 nonsense.

Say thanks?
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG