The online racing simulator
TEST Patch W41
(299 posts, closed, started )
Got "cant remove!" at end of race at server 2, right after I disconnected using the big leave button.

Cant upload the replay, it is too big. I can email it, if so needed.
I found a way to reproduce the black screen bug, at least in my system*, what I have to do is this, start LFS in full screen mode without the wheel controller connected to the USB port, then join a server, connect the wheel controller, hit shift+c, then shift+f4 and when you go back to full screen you got a black screen.

*system specifications:

Intel Core2Duo E6300
Asus P5N-SLI
1GB 667 Supertalent
nVidia Geforce 7600GT
Windows XP SP2 with all the Microsoft updates
Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Racing Wheel

Sorry if this was already known, I didn't have time to read the whole thread
Hi, Im not sure if this is a bug or not, but i was on one of the W41 test servers, i think track was Int Long. Anyway, I was driving around in f08 then host changed to allow only fox's. I was able to start and race in my f08 even get 3rd place. SHame i know, but the point is, i was able to finish in a car thats not allowed on track. Only fox's were allowed. After the race i joined Spectator mode and had no choice but to switch cars to join the race again. If i didn't switch to spectator mode, i would have still been driving the f08. Maybe if you don't switch before start of race, you should be kicked to pits and locked in to change your car to available ones.

thanks
Quote from RiGun :I found a way to reproduce the black screen bug, at least in my system*, what I have to do is this, start LFS in full screen mode without the wheel controller connected to the USB port, then join a server, connect the wheel controller, hit shift+c, then shift+f4 and when you go back to full screen you got a black screen.

Confirmed. I followed that procedure and got a black screen too. But note that I am using version W, not the test patch.

Quote from m4vrick :Hi, Im not sure if this is a bug or not, but i was on one of the W41 test servers, i think track was Int Long. Anyway, I was driving around in f08 then host changed to allow only fox's. I was able to start and race in my f08 even get 3rd place. SHame i know, but the point is, i was able to finish in a car thats not allowed on track. Only fox's were allowed. After the race i joined Spectator mode and had no choice but to switch cars to join the race again. If i didn't switch to spectator mode, i would have still been driving the f08. Maybe if you don't switch before start of race, you should be kicked to pits and locked in to change your car to available ones.

thanks

Wow now you know how to get the advantage on a server, especially if you're the one running the server!
During our weekly league race last night, I had the error 'too many physics objects' a few times. Roughly 23 racers on Aston North in the FXR. I think it only happened during qualifying. I have the replay of one of the occurrences here - http://members.iinet.net.au/~cdriver/toomany.mpr
I was logged in as an admin. This is running the w17 patch, apologies if this error has been fixed in the later patches but I can't see it mentioned.
Did you have a layout active, or did someone crash into a group of tyre stacks?
Quote from Scawen :It's nothing to do with "has left the pit box". All LFS does is assign one pit box to each player, so you should not be able to spawn intersecting another car unless he drives into your pit box and parks there, simple as that. The report here seems to be that if you enter race at exactly the same time it's possible to spawn in the same place. I have not investigated it, but it's definitely nothing to do with moving a bit.

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. It probably really has to do something with joining at the same time. The chances for that to happen could maybe also be increased if both players are forced to wait for someone else to connect
Quote from AndroidXP :Did you have a layout active, or did someone crash into a group of tyre stacks?

No layouts. Undoubtedly there was tyre stack crashing
Quote from m4vrick :Hi, Im not sure if this is a bug or not, but i was on one of the W41 test servers, i think track was Int Long. Anyway, I was driving around in f08 then host changed to allow only fox's. I was able to start and race in my f08 even get 3rd place. SHame i know, but the point is, i was able to finish in a car thats not allowed on track. Only fox's were allowed. After the race i joined Spectator mode and had no choice but to switch cars to join the race again. If i didn't switch to spectator mode, i would have still been driving the f08. Maybe if you don't switch before start of race, you should be kicked to pits and locked in to change your car to available ones.

thanks

This has happened to me even in standard patch W.
Bug or a corrupted MPR?

I was spectating a race in progress and I noticed that when following a couple of cars in a certain section of the track the scenery will disapear. The scenery is only displayed correctly when in helicopter view. The gray scenery is displayed in patches W17 and forward to the current patch W41. (replay is incompatible with patches before W17)
I've tested this replay on my laptop and get the same result as on my PC.

I've attached the replay made with W24, just follow dSk Steffen in external view.

PC: P4 2.54GHz / 640MB / Geforce FX 5700 256MB

Laptop: HP Compaq 6320 / Centrino duo 1.66GhZ (T5500) / 1024MB / Mobile Intel 945GM Express

EDIT: max 1.95 MB upload for a MPR? the MPR I wanted to upload is 2.13MB.
EDIT2: Uploaded the file at Filefront: http://hosted.filefront.com/Esrever/
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Confirmed. I followed that procedure and got a black screen too. But note that I am using version W, not the test patch.

Yes, it was related to the controller initialisation. I do that in a cleaner and better way now. It would be good if you and others who have seen it could try to reproduce the black screen bug with the version I'll release today.

Quote from AndroidXP :Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. It probably really has to do something with joining at the same time. The chances for that to happen could maybe also be increased if both players are forced to wait for someone else to connect

I've looked into that joining in the same place bug and I'm quite puzzled, it seems to be very safe code so I don't know how it could happen. I'm moving it to the "can't reproduce" section of my notes.
More a patch related request than a bug report, but since on certain tracks the real start-lights are impossible to see from rear-most grid slots, I've had to start using the virtual start lights.........but I also prefer to drive with shift-f disabling the hud (I prefer it, and it helps the fps a bit too). If I'm at the back of a 32 car grid at blackwood I have to shift-f to show the virtual start lights, and then shift-f again once I've started to turn the hud off again.

I'd like either: more start lights, so I can see some from anywhere
....or an option to still show the virtual lights when if I have the hud turned off with shift-f.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, it was related to the controller initialisation. I do that in a cleaner and better way now. It would be good if you and others who have seen it could try to reproduce the black screen bug with the version I'll release today.

I've looked into that joining in the same place bug and I'm quite puzzled, it seems to be very safe code so I don't know how it could happen. I'm moving it to the "can't reproduce" section of my notes.

version I'll release today. dev is that anther test patch?
Yes an incompatible test patch W42.

I expect to release it in a couple of hours from now to try out the new (incompatible) voting and ready systems and various other fixes I've done.

Updates :

Votes do not expire and are not reset when a player joins host
Ready on game setup screen is not reset when a player connects
Improved race position list so the confirmed results are locked
Quicker skin messages after running out of LFS World skin credits

InSim :

Can now deal with and recover from non-fatal tcp errors
Corrected UniqueId in CompCar and NodeLap - now named PLID
IS_NLP is now a variable sized packet + NodeLap now 6 bytes
IS_MCI is now a variable sized packet (same info as before)

Fixes :

FIX : Occasional black screen bug when changing to full screen mode
FIX : Start lights delay did not vary each race if wind was disabled
FIX : Could not delete all text after clicking a name in meeting room
FIX : 1st lap qualify / practice speeding penalty could not be cleared
Quote from Scawen :
Updates :

Votes do not expire and are not reset when a player joins host
Ready on game setup screen is not reset when a player connects

Improved race position list so the confirmed results are locked
Quicker skin messages after running out of LFS World skin credits

InSim :

Can now deal with and recover from non-fatal tcp errors
Corrected UniqueId in CompCar and NodeLap - now named PLID
IS_NLP is now a variable sized packet + NodeLap now 6 bytes
IS_MCI is now a variable sized packet (same info as before)

Fixes :

FIX : Occasional black screen bug when changing to full screen mode
FIX : Start lights delay did not vary each race if wind was disabled
FIX : Could not delete all text after clicking a name in meeting room
FIX : 1st lap qualify / practice speeding penalty could not be cleared

Woho! That is really some nice updates. Those two things especially (in bold), has been bugging me for a while. But not anymore! Great Scawen.
So if I vote for restart and after waiting for others votes I change mind and vote for quali, witch votes (mine) are still valid? Or both?
Totally agree with audimasta. Patch X is really becoming something nice

@pasibrzuch
You can only vote once
Quote from pasibrzuch :So if I vote for restart and after waiting for others votes I change mind and vote for quali, witch votes (mine) are still valid? Or both?

I think if you vote restart and then vote quali right after the first vote is cancelled and superceeded by the quali vote.
Quote from Scawen :Quicker skin messages after running out of LFS World skin credits

Not sure how the system works yet, so I apologise is this is all wrong. If I choose to have hi-res skins (and I've paid for them, but I don't want to use them for 'everyday' pick up racing), but run out of credit, does LFS just fail to download the skins, or does it resort to 512 automatically (perhaps with a reminder periodically that you need more credit).

Looking forward to tonights update, and I'll try and give it a test. I'll also see how much luck I can get in reproducing the 'same garage' pit out bug, but don't hold your breath!
Quote from pasibrzuch :So if I vote for restart and after waiting for others votes I change mind and vote for quali, witch votes (mine) are still valid? Or both?

Quote from Gentlefoot :I think if you vote restart and then vote quali right after the first vote is cancelled and superceeded by the quali vote.

Yes, what Gentlefoot said. And you can also remove your existing vote (silently) by pressing the same vote again.

Quote from tristancliffe :Not sure how the system works yet, so I apologise is this is all wrong. If I choose to have hi-res skins (and I've paid for them, but I don't want to use them for 'everyday' pick up racing), but run out of credit, does LFS just fail to download the skins, or does it resort to 512 automatically (perhaps with a reminder periodically that you need more credit).

Looking forward to tonights update, and I'll try and give it a test. I'll also see how much luck I can get in reproducing the 'same garage' pit out bug, but don't hold your breath!

No, it doesn't change the option. It just puts a silent warning message in the top left corner and leaves you with the white skin. It's up to you to change the option if you want. I've decided this is the best way for reasons that will take too long to explain. But basically I'd rather leave it to the user rather than LFS trying to read the mind of the user to know what they want to do.
Ohok. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to check the wiki and add this explanation there if it isn't already

Edit: Done. Still a lot of updating to do on release of patch X though
Quote from tristancliffe :and I'll try and give it a test. I'll also see how much luck I can get in reproducing the 'same garage' pit out bug, but don't hold your breath!

I guess it happened to me. After race I drove to garage and stopped, someone joined and we were both in us. After moving a little both cars flyed away.
If every driver has 'own' joining garage it can be tested and reproduced on Test Patch Servers.

Quote from Scawen :Yes, what Gentlefoot said. And you can also remove your existing vote (silently) by pressing the same vote again.

Yes! I know the secret of upcoming patch! Just can't wait to show my proud on W42 servers nemezis, oh yeees
This thread is closed

TEST Patch W41
(299 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG