The online racing simulator
TEST Patch V3 (compatible with V)
(61 posts, closed, started )
Hello Racers! Here is a new fully compatible Test Patch, V3.

The changes are all listed below in this post. Some of the changes (like the unlocking fixes which were in V2) are very important to some people. Many people will like some of the other improvements, even though there are no physics changes or any major multiplayer changes (which we do hope to release in the near future). In particular I think most people will be happy that we are now using DaveWS's sounds as the default sounds! Thank you Dave!

There are also various minor graphical improvements and several new InSim packets which will be helpful for people developing race management systems. Hosts will also be happy with the new option /adminslots which reserves connection slots for administrators.

LFS S2 has now diverged into two versions, a compatible version and a non-compatible version. As we continue to develop the incompatible version, I may copy some compatible changes into the compatible version so they get well tested and you get a few updates - and any important issues get fixed.

This thread is for feedback about the test patch. We need to know if you find any problems. Please do not make feature requests on this thread. Thank you!

Changes in TEST PATCH V3 :

Sound :

Included new default car sounds created by DaveWS

2D Display :

Improved small map car pointers
Improved needles and markers on clocks
Slightly more efficient 2d graphics drawing
Driver names draw distance no longer depends on FOV
Reduced width of lag meter (see more with ctrl+shift)
FIX : Wide screen autocross object selection buttons

Graphics :

Better FPS due to removal of unecessary LOD checks
Removed option "Wider screen increases LOD"
Removed option "All scenery at maximum LOD"

Interface :

ESC now closes live suspension view and sound editor
HOME key now works correctly in single player replays
ESC in game setup screen now exits to entry screen
SHIFT+O in main entry screen now goes to options
Join specific game - colours are removed from name
FIX : Next screen shot number was not saved on exit
FIX : Default sound selected when deleting a colour
FIX : Mouse cursor is now visible on window border

Views :

View options now visible before you go on track
Separate FOV stored for each car's custom view
Separate steer look option for each custom view
Improved options for follow view (chase cam)
View screen rearranged to make more sense

Misc :

Game setup screen stats : join - pit - spectate
New InSim packets (pit - penalty - take over - flags)
Admins can now use in-game : /laps /qual /hours /wind
New option /adminslots=X reserves slots for admins
FIX : MsgOutPack (MSO) now shows long user messages
FIX : Wrong delay "setup changes" after tyre change

Changes in TEST PATCH V2 :

Higher resolution image in mirrors
Selected setup is displayed in F12 menu
Another small reduction in pit-out glitch
Setups can be sorted by name as well as date
CTRL+S saves a screen shot to the shots folder
Same distortion regardless of the volume setting
No need to type edit_eng before using sound editor
New PACK button in sound editor to load a sound pack
Set log file name /log=name.xxx or /log to stop logging
Master port is now selectable in cfg.txt (29339 or 8080)
Any res as wide as or wider than 3:1 considered 3 screen
Various translation updates and improvements
New language : Slovenian / Slovenski

FIX : Unlocking issue with AMD Athlon 64
FIX : Unlocking should now work on Cedega
FIX : Small renaming bug when saving replays
FIX : Invisible warning when wrong way reversing

INSTALLATION :

1) Move or save the patch into your main LFS folder
2) Double click the patch to extract it to that folder
3) When you see "Confirm File Replace" select "Yes to All"
3) Now you can start LFS in the normal way

KNOWN ISSUES :

There is a SPR Out Of Sync (OOS) bug. I will try to fix that this evening.

So please do not use V3 for hotlaps. Multiplayer should be fine.

DOWNLOAD :

TEST PATCH V3 (1.5 MB) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_V3_TEST.exe

DEDICATED HOST V3 (1 MB - for hosting only) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_V3.zip
Weee!! Thank you!
Hooray :d
I thought i'd add if any of you are using my sounds from this forum, if you want to use the new default sounds you have to click the "PACK" button in the shift-a editor, and type "default", as I have made some more updates to them. Nice work too Scawen .
#5 - axus
Actually got quite a good boost in FPS on some places of the track so good work there but watching a replay that was recorded with V2, it went out of sync. I've attached that (please ignore my shocking tyre warming abilities, it goes OOS just by the pit entry).

On another note, the new dials look a lot less arcadey than before, when we have faces for them it will make a huge difference to interiors.

EDIT: The OOS only happens on SPRs from what I've tried so far. Some get it sooner, some later.
Attached files
axus_KY3_LX4.spr - 197.3 KB - 409 views
Thanks, I love the sounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep up the good work!
Quote from axus :EDIT: The OOS only happens on SPRs from what I've tried so far. Some get it sooner, some later.

The same for me at the second try. Also my pc rebooted the first time while loading a spr. It saved a minidump. I can provide more details and the dmp file if needed.
Quote from axus :Actually got quite a good boost in FPS on some places of the track so good work there but watching a replay that was recorded with V2, it went out of sync. I've attached that (please ignore my shocking tyre warming abilities, it goes OOS just by the pit entry).

On another note, the new dials look a lot less arcadey than before, when we have faces for them it will make a huge difference to interiors.

EDIT: The OOS only happens on SPRs from what I've tried so far. Some get it sooner, some later.

Thanks.

I confirm that there is a SPR OOS and I can reproduce that on some hotlap replays.

I'll look this evening to see if I can get rid of that OOS without losing any of the new features. I can already get back to no OOS by rolling back one source code file - but I don't want to do that as it has important changes for the new InSim features. Anyway it should be possible to fix.

For now, please do not upload hotlaps made with V3.
#9 - kompa
In widescreen mode the names over cars disappear in a very short distance. They don't appear at all on the above view. They are OK in-car.
Attached images
lfs_00000002.jpg
lfs_00000001.jpg
Do i have to have patch V2 instaled?
#11 - Jakg
No
Quote from DaveWS :I thought i'd add if any of you are using my sounds from this forum, if you want to use the new default sounds you have to click the "PACK" button in the shift-a editor, and type "default", as I have made some more updates to them. Nice work too Scawen .

So just to be clear; since I am already using your excellent pack from the other thread, I have to reload "default" when I install this patch tonight to use even better sounds that you've created?

edit: sorry I shouldn't be yapping in this thread.
#13 - joen
Quote from Scawen :In particular I think most people will be happy that we are now using DaveWS's sounds as the default sounds! Thank you Dave!

I suspected you were going to do that Excellent decision!

Quote :
Separate FOV stored for each car's custom view

:static:

Other stuff sounds great too ofcourse, thanks Scawen
Bug: Content in mirrors disapears when switch to another window
I run LFS in windowed mode, the mirror mode is set to "all". Now, In "shift-U" mode I see mirrors, as expected (the first attachement shows it). If I switch to another window (LFS is not minimized) and back to LFS, then mirrors get black (the second attachement). If I go to menu and back, then mirrors are back to normal.

I have Windows 98SE, nvidia GF 4200 Ti, driver 4.14.10.4523.
Attached images
mirror1.jpg
mirror2.jpg
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :So just to be clear; since I am already using your excellent pack from the other thread, I have to reload "default" when I install this patch tonight to use even better sounds that you've created?

Yes. Although there are also new gear whine and shift sounds, with no copyright issues, but you may prefer the old shift and gear whine sounds which I used before this. I shouldn't think so though.
#16 - axus
Scawen, have you maybe made an accidental change in physics? Driving the LX4 feels very weird suddenly. Ie. I normally catch more than 90% of slides in it, and now I just can't catch most of them.
Thank you devs! Including DaveWS's sounds was a great idea! I'm going to play it right now

edit : @ Axus. Maybe you need to look for analogue steer smooth? Is there anything wrong with your wheel?
#18 - axus
All settings are fine... from what I can see, unless something changes to another value when the patch is applied? And I'm fairly sure I haven't forgotten how to drive overnight and I can't catch one in ten slides. I'm not one to normally scream "OMG, the patch has physics changes" but
considering the circumstances...
Quote from axus :Scawen, have you maybe made an accidental change in physics? Driving the LX4 feels very weird suddenly. Ie. I normally catch more than 90% of slides in it, and now I just can't catch most of them.

My wild guess would be that the new sounds are causing that. You don't get the same audible cues so you miss the slides.
#20 - axus
Quote from geeman1 :My wild guess would be that the new sounds are causing that. You don't get the same audible cues so you miss the slides.

Been using Dave's sounds for a while, they're virtually the same.

Right now I would put £50 on it that there have been physics changes (possibly confined to single player). Any takers?
Quote from geeman1 :My wild guess would be that the new sounds are causing that. You don't get the same audible cues so you miss the slides.

I second that, maybe try Patch V and Patch V3 with no sound?
Quote from axus :Scawen, have you maybe made an accidental change in physics? Driving the LX4 feels very weird suddenly. Ie. I normally catch more than 90% of slides in it, and now I just can't catch most of them.

Haven't loaded LFS in nearly a month, but just tested the LX4 at SO Town (I think I'm about your skill level/speed), and all is fine and dandy for me - controlled slides and accurate apexs aplenty.

And the new sounds are even better than the last lot from Dave!
I like the new credits screen, it looks a lot more professional.
For those interested:

List of sound changes since my last pack:

- New gearwhine (now without any copyright issues)
- New gear shifts, and different for road and race cars (now without any copyright issues)
- New RAC sound, based on real video of RAC
- Updated FOX
- Updated FZ5
- Increased throttle off volume
- Other small changes
#25 - axus
Hmmm, I'm not so sure anymore, it might have been using an older version of the setup for that track by mistake but letting the rear step out a lot feels weird.
This thread is closed

(61 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG