The online racing simulator
Track selection for STCC public servers?
Hi,

Following on from the LRF servers thread, and the subsequent discussion about Aston GT / Aston GP and Aston Historic.....

Is there any reason these 3 tracks are excluded from the STCC public servers?, I know they are 3 of the longest tracks in LFS, but Kyoto GP is included and the 3 long Aston configs are only 0.3 miles longer.

Any chance they could be included in the Silver/Gold TBO and LRF servers?
Speaking of tracks...is there a list of all configurations run on the servers.
Quote from A.Ulleri :Speaking of tracks...is there a list of all configurations run on the servers.

I think that it's everything bar

Kyoto Oval
Kyoto Oval Rev
Aston Grand Prix
Aston Grand Prix Rev
Aston Grand Touring
Aston Grand Touring Rev
Aston Historic
Aston Historic Rev
STCC1a (S1 Server)

bl1
bl2
so1
so2
so3
so5
fe1
fe2
fe3
fe5
fe6
bl1r
bl2r
so1r
so2r
so3r
so5r
fe1r
fe2r
fe3r
fe5r
fe6r

Short Track Cycle (used by STCC1b)
bl1
so1
so5
fe1
fe2
fe3
ky2
we1
as1
as2
bl1r
so1r
so5r
fe1r
fe2r
fe3r
ky2r
we1r
as1r
as2r

Long track cycle, used by STCC2 and STCC3b
bl1
bl2
so1
so2
so3
so4
so5
fe1
fe2
fe3
fe4
ky2
ky3
we1
as1
as2
as3
as7
bl1r
bl2r
so1r
so2r
so3r
so4r
so5r
fe1r
fe2r
fe3r
fe4r
ky2r
ky3r
we1r
as1r
as2r
as3r
as7r

I assume that means the longer aston variants won't feature in the future on the Silver and up servers then?
1a -> UF1 server
1b -> XFG/XRG server
2 -> TBO server
3b -> LRF server

If I recall right, so silver servers should get long Aston configs as well.
Quote from Becky Rose :STCC1a (S1 Server)

So why not AS4/5/6?

And why not quali on the LRF server? At times the server is empty and if I'm alone on the server I would rather like to run quali laps instead of racing alone...
I'm happy to modify them.

I'll say this first though if I may,

The natural tendancy of everyone in LFS is to race big cars on big tracks. The assumption is that more is better. Yet put on big cars and big tracks on a server and people struggle to learn the track, there's more accidents, and theres more disparity of performance between racers.

Put on a short track and most of these problems are solved.

I'm happy to run long tracks on STCC servers if people want them, but i'd want to bias them so that short tracks are run more often because I believe and have witnessed on the servers that these are more popular.

Believe it or not, what sounds like it wont work often will, and bigger isn't always better, one of the most fun evenings I had was a full field of GTR's around Fern Bay Club Reverse
I would love to have Aston Historic, it's one of my fav tracks in LFS, the other 2 long Aston configs are also fun, maybe put them on a trial?
#10 - SamH
I'm specifically keen on seeing the longer configs *FOR LRF*. The mentality of the people racing LRF is a slight departure from the norm, when all's said.. they'll race a race even if they're not going to win, just for the pleasure of getting the wind in their hair.
I want that long ASTON configurations too!

btw. Aston Grand Prix / XRT best combo ever made
And for how long do we have one track at a time? Is it 24h or? I am pretty newbie with racing againts others, and would like to prepare myself well with the track and the car before going online, so it would really help to be able to predict what track it would be like on tomorrow evening at 21:00.

[quote=Becky Rose;366350]STCC1a (S1 Server)

bl1
bl2
so1
so2
so3
so5
fe1
fe2
fe3
fe5
fe6
bl1r
bl2r
so1r
so2r
so3r
so5r
fe1r
fe2r
fe3r
fe5r
fe6r

Tracks are online at most 2 hours, sorry to say. The idea being you can log on for a session and race 'a couple of tracks'.

Welcome.
Did you consider putting in the longer Aston tracks into the track selection process?
I'm knee deep in broadcast work at the moment and there's so many things to do, I have a to do list, and i'm adding track rotation to it, I can't put them on at the moment though whilst the race restart timer isn't really supporting long tracks, but basically I plan to include them but to make them rare.
Thanks, thats all I can ask for really
Quote from Becky Rose :Tracks are online at most 2 hours, sorry to say. The idea being you can log on for a session and race 'a couple of tracks'.

Welcome.

OK, good to know, thanks.
Quote from Becky Rose :Tracks are online at most 2 hours, sorry to say. The idea being you can log on for a session and race 'a couple of tracks'.

Welcome.

In by opinion, that idea fails . It's due to the fact that many folks don't have all day for racing (jobs, family, you know the normal distractions). So, I log on and join midrace. It's difficult because I need to create a setup (Inferno sets for XRT are strickly drift sets for me, LOL). But, the field is spread out and I don't want to get in the way of anyone. So, I can't get some good continuous laps in. I'm shift-s'ing back to the garage after too short stints to make setup changes (I'm not a setup guru, I can't run 1 lap, make all the changes and have the perfect car). The race is over, I see that "oops, I am going to need more fuel for a full race." In the garage, add fuel, race is auto restarting, press join LAG!!!!!! Race starts, now I have the join button countdown. Great, I missed that race, but it gives me time to work on setup for 20 minutes before the field is spread out again. I work on setup for 20 minutes. I like it. The set feels good. The race ends. I am ready. I am waiting for the restart with the set I finally like. "End Race in 3... 2... 1..." Now it changes to a new track and I have to start all over again..... Eh? I'm going to bed instead.....
I do hope that isn't a typical experience of the public servers?
Quote from mrodgers :In by opinion, that idea fails . It's due to the fact that many folks don't have all day for racing (jobs, family, you know the normal distractions). So, I log on and join midrace. It's difficult because I need to create a setup (Inferno sets for XRT are strickly drift sets for me, LOL). But, the field is spread out and I don't want to get in the way of anyone. So, I can't get some good continuous laps in. I'm shift-s'ing back to the garage after too short stints to make setup changes (I'm not a setup guru, I can't run 1 lap, make all the changes and have the perfect car). The race is over, I see that "oops, I am going to need more fuel for a full race." In the garage, add fuel, race is auto restarting, press join LAG!!!!!! Race starts, now I have the join button countdown. Great, I missed that race, but it gives me time to work on setup for 20 minutes before the field is spread out again. I work on setup for 20 minutes. I like it. The set feels good. The race ends. I am ready. I am waiting for the restart with the set I finally like. "End Race in 3... 2... 1..." Now it changes to a new track and I have to start all over again..... Eh? I'm going to bed instead.....

Ah man, you are going about it all wrong. You are trying to have a perfect setup to be competitive, which IMO, ain't gona happen untill you actually get some full races under your belt. Fiddling wit the setup wont help you get used to the car/track combo.

I would be the same as you, not good at setups yet!. But when I first joined the Silver & Gold server the only setup I used was Bobs Easy Race setup, with a couple of small changes, and that was for every track. Just to get the feel for the car, RB4, and the track rotation. One thing I did find hard, only because I use a mouse, was starting mid grid and having the decision whether to try to hold my postion or just pull off the racing line and let everyone by. I let everyone by for most of my races there but lately I have been getting braver and trying to hold postion, sometimes making a balls of it and having to do the ol' shift-s thing.

I have downloaded all the inferno sets for the RB4, and the majority of them only need a couple of changes to make the car easier to handle, for me anyway. One thing that's not easy with a mouse is making the tires last the long races.
#21 - SamH
Got to agree with MrMouse, Mike. I'm not speaking from the perspective of someone who's particularly competitive, but definitely from the perspective of an experienced TBO driver. I think, with the STCC system, driving races counts for more than tweaking setups. Bob's setups are a great basis upon which to build. After 4 or 5 races, you can make general assessments like "oversteers too much", and add a bit of toe-in at the rear, perhaps.. or "front tyres uneven heating" and adjust camber to compensate.

I find that a "setup that I'm confident driving at speed for a long time with" will place higher in the finishing positions than a "fast setup", built from tests in a lap here and a lap there. You can't build a setup over a couple of separated laps, that you intend to run for a full race, because you've not collected the right "data".
Quote from mrodgers :In by opinion, that idea fails . It's due to the fact that many folks don't have all day for racing (jobs, family, you know the normal distractions). So, I log on and join midrace. It's difficult because I need to create a setup (Inferno sets for XRT are strickly drift sets for me, LOL). But, the field is spread out and I don't want to get in the way of anyone. So, I can't get some good continuous laps in. I'm shift-s'ing back to the garage after too short stints to make setup changes (I'm not a setup guru, I can't run 1 lap, make all the changes and have the perfect car). The race is over, I see that "oops, I am going to need more fuel for a full race." In the garage, add fuel, race is auto restarting, press join LAG!!!!!! Race starts, now I have the join button countdown. Great, I missed that race, but it gives me time to work on setup for 20 minutes before the field is spread out again. I work on setup for 20 minutes. I like it. The set feels good. The race ends. I am ready. I am waiting for the restart with the set I finally like. "End Race in 3... 2... 1..." Now it changes to a new track and I have to start all over again..... Eh? I'm going to bed instead.....

Even starting from the pits 12 seconds after the start I've grabbed third before. You've just got to be commited to doing the race. Rather than your setup.
I am very dissorganised with my setup, but one thing I know for sure: I never have a setup designed for the track i'm on! lol. Unless i'm doing a league event I just go for a driveable car that has gearing more or less right for the track and handles ok, if it handles badly on a given track I try a different setup.
Becky - I wanted to ask you how you achieve the automatic track rotation on your servers? Tried to PM you but it's disabled.
We have software running on the server that handles all of our special features, did you want to know the INSIM specifics or where you just after the software?

There is a public tool which can do the same thing, VCom I believe. It's not what we use but it would do the job, I understand.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG