The online racing simulator
I'm a bit stuck..
(7 posts, started )
I'm a bit stuck..
Well i don't really know anything about Graphics Cards. I just know what my computer can support, it needs to be an AGP card, preferably Nvidia. The problem i'm having, is that the card I have now is a bit crap. Its a Geforce 5700 FX, it runs LFS fine on 2X AA & AF, but I really need a better one. I'm into filming and editing video's, from LFS of course. So If i upgraded my card, would my LFS be smoother? Or just look better? I'm wanting LFS to be real smooth, but also look the part too. So the video's aren't jumpy at all - but don't look crap. I've been looking around at a few cards, but Price is the main problem. My budget is around £60-£70 max. Here's a few I've been looking at, just tell me if they're anygood or what else there's to be had.

First Card - 6600 256MB

Second card - 6200 256MB
What card do you have right now? The main thing a new card will allow you to do is run high levels of AA and AF without too much performance hit (or any, depending on the card).

Provided your video card is decent, you can get a huge improvement in performance with a faster CPU. It sounds like your system is pretty old, though, so your upgrade options will be very limited.
My current card is a 5700 FX, i've got a 3.00 Ghz dual core processor with 1.0 gb RAM. Does that help?
On the left or right corner (I can't remember the default position) of LFS there is an FPS (frames per second) counter.

Select a car and check that counter while you are in the start/finish of blackwood.

Now, from within LFS change the resolution to a lower one like 800x600 or even 640x480. Then you can try to turn off AA&AF also.

Check the counter again. Have your FPS raised? Then you might benefit from a better card. If not, it means that a new graphics card won't do you any good.

My rig is a [email protected] with 1 gig ram and 6800GT card in AGP. I have 8AA & 16AF and at 1024x768 I'm getting 100fps with the bf1 at the start/finish of blackwood.

If I change my resolution to 800x600 or 640x480 I'm getting no FPS increase, which means that LFS is CPU limited at this resolution. If I increase the resolution to 1152x864 I still don't see a frame drop. But if I set it to 1280x960 my frames drop to 85. And if iI set it to 1280x1024 it drops to 75!!

This means that I need a better graphics card if I want to run LFS at 1280x960 and above. Do this test on you own and you'll find out if you need a better graphics card.

For the record the 6600 is much better than the 6200 and it matches nicely with your P4 3.0Ghz.
Alright i'll try that. As far as I can remeber, when I take down my graphic settings, my FPS increases. But my current card doesn't even go to 8x, it has the option, but when i click it, then look back on the list - its not slected. Any help with that so I could try all the options?
It doesn't go up to 8 AA probably because it is not supported by you card.
Nothing much you can do about it then.
You may download a newer driver perhaps and try that too.

Mine goes to up to 8 AA but an SLI combo goes up to 16.
So there is a limit in AA depending on the card.
Pssch, 6600? I'd save up some more money and go for the 7600GT. Best bang for the buck, PCI-E or AGP, the 7600 will rock your FPS - without burning a hole in your wallet!

I'm a bit stuck..
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG