Poll : What FOV setting do you use?

Closed since :
80-90°
Above 90°
70-79°
60-69°
50-59°
40-49°
86. Haven't really experiemented with it. Using cockpit view with my 20" 4:3 thingie
not sure what the number is but always make sure I can see the bottom of the steering wheel
Quote from Alric :Am i the only person that races from the 3rd person view just behind and above the car instead of the cockpit view?illepall

do you drive your own car with remote controls from a small crane being towed by the car??
#29 - Iron
Quote from Robster230 :do you drive your own car with remote controls from a small crane being towed by the car??

Do you drive your car with your head in a box, looking through a 30x20 cm hole in its front side?
Whatever it takes to get the side mirror in vision. Usually ~75-80.
And you can't argue that cockpit view is closest to the real thing possible.
#31 - Davo
haha robster pwned
ive never changed mine, so i guess 90
Quote from frokki :Whatever it takes to get the side mirror in vision. Usually ~75-80.

Unless it's the BF1, then you need about 160...
Custom Camera, and move the view back a bit - I have them in my view on 90° quite happily.
95 degress, and wheels only is good to see whats going on next to you.
Yeah, poor poll choices. Fixed them before it too many people vote wrong. Ideally there'd be 90-99° and 100°+ as the final options but that would screw the results up.

Personally I use 65-70° when running one monitor, or 100° degrees when running three monitors.
Dont know what it is ? :P
But i havent changed it :P So Standart
I use an FOV that lets me see most of the side mirror from cockpit view. This is one of the reasons I don't drive the BF1 which requires a ridiculous FOV. And no, I refuse to use anything virtual
115 for me, not the most realistic but i cant deal with small fov's
Default is 90°, which most people find a bit high for standard size screens.
I use to have it around 92 but I now use 75 or less.
usually between 65 and 70, with the custom view a tad bit forward so that I sit right up on the dash.

This way I look over the top of the wheel and see the dials and it feels most real this way.

I cannot see the entire side mirror this way, but I have a TrackIR device and a quick glance does the trick, again, feels most realistic to me.
#43 - JTbo
92, but I set it so that I see what I would see in real car. I really would like to have nice big parabolic 180 degree screen
90º is the default FOV and is the most comfortable for me
Thanks for adjusting the cohort ranges, Bob, and apologies for not including more cohorts in the 90+ range. There's so much fish-eye distortion at high FOV values that I didn't think many people would use higher settings. Looks like I was wrong.

The reason for the question and the poll is that I recently did a few experiments with FOV settings in RBR and found that I could shave a couple of seconds off of my previous best stage-times by using a lower FOV, largely due to the improved sense of depth. Reducing the FOV in LFS and GTR2 has also improved my laptimes and consistency in both of those games too.
60 degrees allows me to still see the gauges in most of the cars. No wheel or driver viewable and I use the virtual mirror just because the "real" mirror is no where to be found on my screen (yes, I've tried to move it, can't move it far enough.)

Only, in the MRT I usually go back to default because I see nothing of the car at 60. But then I usually quit racing the MRT after a few laps because the view looks so horrible at 90.

I think it's funny how people talk about realism, then post that they use a view that either puts them outside the car, sitting in the center of a 2 seater, or an FOV that makes it look like you are sitting in the back seat.
Threw this together in a couple of hours for the interested:

FOV Calculator

It makes it obvious that lower FOVs look more natural but if we used "real" figures we'd have no peripheral vision what-so-ever. Obviously compromise is needed.

Also that program doesn't take borders into account, or angling of the screens (which you shouldn't do anyway because the 3D engine assumes your display is flat).
Quote from BuddhaBing :Thanks for adjusting the cohort ranges, Bob, and apologies for not including more cohorts in the 90+ range. There's so much fish-eye distortion at high FOV values that I didn't think many people would use higher settings. Looks like I was wrong.

The reason for the question and the poll is that I recently did a few experiments with FOV settings in RBR and found that I could shave a couple of seconds off of my previous best stage-times by using a lower FOV, largely due to the improved sense of depth. Reducing the FOV in LFS and GTR2 has also improved my laptimes and consistency in both of those games too.

I tried lowering the FOV to about 70 last night (from my usual 90) and found that it greatly reduced my sense of depth. Everything is basically zoomed in and on the same plane.

What FOV do you use?
(94 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG