The online racing simulator
Quote from Becky Rose :I was, until this, thinking of introducing a sound editor.

you still can ... if you export all the samples that are accessible with the built in editor you get about half the size of the .eng files ... theres still some 100-200 kb of data to play with via an external app
Hi Kid, bye Kid illepall (please try a little harder to disguise yourself next time).

Does this mean Kid is still making money out of selling LFS branded shirts?
Quote from Meanie :Looks like he really went out of his way to "publish" it.

He even registered an account at our brazilian league forum's and posted a thread about his "discovery", heh.

Marlon,

He already was registered to our forums. If you look to his message, he registered there at the April 4th, 2005.

And by the way, your signature is waaaaaay too funny... LMAO

Promoting yourself as a slow driver... Yeah, right... Always REALLY close to WR times with the FOX... Slow... Yeah, right!
#54 - joen
oh ffs get a life
Oh my
just tried another few "combos" and went in this order
/edit_set
/edit_stupid
/edit_pies

then i just tried shift + A and it works ????
Quote from joen :oh ffs get a life

No need to jump on Falkowski83 like that
#58 - joen
Quote from Linsen :No need to jump on Falkowski83 like that

hehe

Just for the record and to avoid any confusion to others: my post wasn't aimed at Falkowski83 but to yet another one of Kid's incarnations. The posts were removed afterwards.
Quote from Sticky-Micky :just tried another few "combos" and went in this order
/edit_set
/edit_stupid
/edit_pies

then i just tried shift + A and it works ????

Edit pies worked? Awesome!

#60 - SamH
Oops! Sorry joen! that did make things look harsh didn't it?

For the record, out of sheer disgust I've been removing the occasional post or two.
Quote from felplacerad :Edit pies worked? Awesome!

unless "edit_eng" "unlocks" something , i dont think you need to do the type part, shift + a works for me by itself
Rar what a thread.

/me gets the popcorn!
#63 - joen
Quote from SamH :Oops! Sorry joen! that did make things look harsh didn't it?

no worries Sam
What's next? A dictionary attack on the LFS scripting system?

:munching_
Quote from Sticky-Micky :unless "edit_eng" "unlocks" something , i dont think you need to do the type part, shift + a works for me by itself

the "/edit_eng" is only needed once per LFS session, after that shift A is enough. If you load up LFS and just try Shift A it does nothing.
5 minutes of tweaking, and I've got the Sauber sounding less like a food mixer, and the FZR sounding mean and race car like. But I get a lot of clipping doing that, so I can see why Scawen didn't make them like that in the first place. And I don't claim mine to be 'any good' generally, so no 'releases' just yet!

But it is fun isn't it
#68 - robt
I found clipping occured when i got the sound "right" too. its nice to have a mess around. nice to see the effort put in to
Well as it's not that official i wont use it I use to destroy everything xD
is it ok to release a engine sound now? made a really nice one
#71 - Vain
Give your engine sounds a few days time to settle. Everytime I listen to my engine sounds I think of something to improve. Then I save them and the next time I think of something different to improve, etc.
Also listen to some onboard-footage to see wether you still have the right things in your mind when editing.

By the way, the comparison of real life versus LFS makes me think that LFS's gearwhine is a bit off. I can hit the right pitch and volume, but it still sounds very monotoneous. No matter the muffler-settings.

Vain
Quote from Vain :By the way, the comparison of real life versus LFS makes me think that LFS's gearwhine is a bit off. I can hit the right pitch and volume, but it still sounds very monotoneous. No matter the muffler-settings.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned but you can load wave samples from wav files saved in the eng folder, into many of the waves, using the L button visible beside the wave. The correct format is 44100 Hz mono. It can accept 22050 Hz or 44100 Hz mono or stereo wav files and these are converted when loading to the correct format. As far as I remember, most of them should be looping files, except the exhaust pop (the pop sound of air escaping from a cylinder when the exhaust valve opens, with no exhaust pipe attached) and the starter sound. There are limits on the length of the sounds.

When you save an eng file with another name, that name is saved into your player file so the same eng file is loaded again when you load that car. For that reason you should never save as "default" - you don't need to.

The "blob" button beside any sound plays only that sound and silences the others. Pressing the blob again restores all sounds.

That's just for information, to help you. I'm not taking requests for the sound editor, so please don't ask (just saying in case anyone wanted to ask).
great post , nice feature. This way i can kinda..... override crappy sounds. Well done.
Thanks for the Tip Scawen Sam and I noticed that we could load wave files but was not sure exactly what the format was. At least I didn't know so left it alone =P
is this the first step to get more dev-stuff available or was it just a lucky strike of someone?

Real-time Engine Sound Editor
(221 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG