The online racing simulator
Real-time Engine Sound Editor
Saw this over at RSC. To bring up an interactive real-time engine sound editor, while in-game type /edit_eng and then press Shift-A. The editor allows you to save and load profiles, so presumably these can be shared with other users.
Wow thats cool i'll test it tomorrow thanks for the info
Hah!

It took just few weeks from kid to find a place where from he isn't banned yet just to make something like this. I was expecting something more elegant, like DoS attacks against LFSforums, but whatever...
ive got a feeling a certain bunch of 3 will not be pleased about this
:jawdrop:
Yep, me too.
Quote from jtw62074 :BTW, an rsc search for **** turns up nothing.

take a looo at the lfs section he created 2 threads on this that should still be right at the top
Yeah, I edited out my comment. Found the link just before you posted.
#9 - amp88
The fact that this has been left publically-available (albeit a little tricky to find) is interesting. I'd have thought this sort of editing would have been confined to Scawen's private testing version.
I'd venture to guess that Kid was mistakenly trusted by the guys at one time.
That guy does everything to be hated, doesn't he?
Quote from AndroidXP : That guy does everything to be hated, doesn't he?

I don't understand why we or the devs should "hate" him for this. Ok, so it gives us a glimpse into a little bit of the inner workings of the new audio engine and it allows us to modify the sound, but why exactly is that a bad thing? Modifying the values in the sound system doesn't really give people much idea (if any at all) how the sounds are being generated, so it's not as though it's critically sensitive. If we were able to see how the audio is actually generated then that could be stolen or copied by other people, but all we can do with this is modify some parameters outwith the bounds of the Options we're already allowed to change. We know what a creative community there is attached to LFS so I wouldn't at all be surprised if very soon we see new and (dare I say it) improved sounds for the cars. If they so choose the dev team could even learn from the community perhaps.

As a slight aside, "hate" is a very overused term IMO. "Hate" should be reserved for people who actually deserve it (murderers, rapists, child molestors etc), not someone who finds a hidden options menu in a simulator.
Quote from BuddhaBing :Saw this over at RSC. To bring up an interactive real-time engine sound editor, while in-game type /edit_eng and then press Shift-A. The editor allows you to save and load profiles, so presumably these can be shared with other users.

Thats pretty damn cool, nice (undocumented) feature, wonder if it was meant to be found by the general LFS users?

edit: probably not, which is probably why is was undocumented, which leads me to wonder why is was undocumented.........
#14 - Jakg
Erm... well... how exactly does that help? do we have a tool to edit the .eng sounds?

Can't you just rename the file anyway, and have it loaded anyway by default?
There are loads of parameters you can change, a couple, like tyre noise, turbo noise etc, will please quite a few people I imagine.
Attached images
5f222a8a-Sliber.jpg
@amp88: Granted, "hate" is really a too strong word for this, but if the devs wanted this to be public then they would've announced this feature themselves. For me it looks like KiD wants to get back at them because he even managed to get banned here for his insanity. illepall
No, it wasn't meant to be found. We decided not to document the editor before the sound system was finished. If we provide a documented feature then it becomes my duty to try to protect your data (allowing old versions to still be loaded as the system is updated) and so on. But as the sound system changes, old files often become invalid, because their data was designed for an older system.

So, if you use the sound editor system, please regard it as an undocumented feature that is not supported by us - and be prepared for the fact that your sound files will probably become invalidated at some point by a patch or test patch which contains sound improvements. And assume that I won't answer any questions on this either - it's an editor for a system that is still work in progress.

Anyway... for those want to try editing and don't mind their work being deleted, I hope you have fun using the editor!
Quote from AndroidXP :@amp88: Granted, "hate" is really a too strong word for this, but if the devs wanted this to be public then they would've announced this feature themselves. For me it looks like KiD wants to get back at them because he even managed to get banned here for his insanity. illepall

Not REALLY getting back at the devs is it?

Edit:

Quote from Scawen :No, it wasn't meant to be found. We decided not to document the editor before the sound system was finished. If we provide a documented feature then it becomes my duty to try to protect your data (allowing old versions to still be loaded as the system is updated) and so on. But as the sound system changes, old files often become invalid, because their data was designed for an older system.

So, if you use the sound editor system, please regard it as an undocumented feature that is not supported by us - and be prepared for the fact that your sound files will probably become invalidated at some point by a patch or test patch which contains sound improvements. And assume that I won't answer any questions on this either - it's an editor for a system that is still work in progress.

Anyway... for those want to try editing and don't mind their work being deleted, I hope you have fun using the editor!

Heh, what do you know ...

Well cudos to Scawen for implementing this feature in the first place, too bad this is how whe had to find out.
That's a really interested insight into how LFS is adding a great many more complexities to the sound system. I'm impressed by it more than anything!

Although there'll be a swarm of "K&N Induction Kit" engine files released, essentially just by cranking the air intake noise. ha.

I love software still in development, good getting better is much more entertaining.
I think a lot of people, myself included, are going to get a lot of pleasure out of this.

Bit of a shame Kid still acts like his namesake, but then it's been easy to see he's been on the edge of losing it mentally for a while now.

I wonder if there are other undocumented features. /edit_tyres? /edit_physics? edit_weather?
who is this person who was banned?

i could not find anything on RSC ?
hopefully /edit_tristan_700_bhp_impreza_bollox
Junior08 or something. There are two threads in the main LFS forum there, unless they've been deleted in the last 10 minutes.

Really? Are you still upset about that. Thanks for the reminder though, even if it's a very sad way of doing it. I'll see what I can find out for you. Have you never heard of a 700hp Impreza before? There was one with 600hp at a Sprint meeting I drove at last year, so I don't really see why your brain won't let you imagine it. I never ever said it was reliable or good because of it /goes to ask colleague about it.
Quote from tristancliffe :I think a lot of people, myself included, are going to get a lot of pleasure out of this.

Bit of a shame Kid still acts like his namesake, but then it's been easy to see he's been on the edge of losing it mentally for a while now.

I wonder if there are other undocumented features. /edit_tyres? /edit_physics? edit_weather?

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=280755#post280755

Real-time Engine Sound Editor
(221 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG