The online racing simulator
BlackWood Chicane
(14 posts, started )
BlackWood Chicane
The only thing that makes blackwood a tad boring, is those 20 or so seconds you sit there going strait...

How about adding some spice?

The Chicane is positioned so that it can also be used for the rally-x section of blackwood.

It doesnt even have to be another sub-track, just a layout, with some barriers and tires to mark the strait section off.
#2 - ZORER
i think it is better with the strait.It is a good section for drivers to prove how good they can exit the first corners.
Having to use 2 chicanes on the road course setup would be dumb, however I think that if there was another BL config where you drive straight through the current chicane without the barriers, and use this new chicane in the middle would be cool. And if the 2nd chicane was on the downhill crest part, that'd be a REALLY nice chicane . Adding it to the Rally-X configuration would be a wise choice too, because it would add to it more as well.

There are chicanes and other turn sections I could think of for the track, but I have a feeling Eric has thought out ideas like this before, and a lot of them never worked out. Though, with all the different configurations to choose from, I really think there should be a lot more variations at tracks like Aston when using the alternate configurations... Things like these chicanes are new turn sections would really make track choice a lot more interesting.
Exactly what i was thinking, Ditch the first chicane and use the one in the middle.

I was going to photoshop it on the crest, but i used the flat area to describe it more.

Maybe something like..

Blackwood GP - Uses first chicane.
Blackwood Touring - Ditchs first Chicane, uses second.

Blackwood Rally-X - I dont feel the chicane really needs a whole new config, but still have the chicane for the host to decide wether to creat the setup that draws racers around the chicane.
i still say keep my idea, make it an option to open up the straightaway and close off the chicane so you have a very long straight (this was back in RSC, i wonder if i still have that picture..) .. go figure RSC is being to slow to even try (i'll get them, its just taking a very.. very very long time)
anyways, i figured that then it would determine who is the fastest out of turn 1 which is quite a tricky turn to do quickly

ok this is taking a LOT longer than i thought
there we go
here is the original thread if you want to look through it:
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=142551

this was my suggestion, i still think it needs to be done (else .. why do we still have a straight section.. still there?!)

also if you look through the thread you will see chicane ideas, so trust me, i know you're not the first person to think of this, it has been going on for a while now
(screenshot taken from S1, but its the same basic point)
Attached images
newBL2.jpg
XC it's not a contest to see who can prove they had the most original suggestions

It's been said since day one that the chicane at Blackwood (old version and new) is as pointless as they get. Obviously IRL chicanes are added to tracks to make sections safer (read: slower), but the Blackwood chicane has never done this, and it makes the reverse config far more dangerous in fact, than it otherwise would be, and it's only a serious challenge to drive through it in the reversed direction anyway

I don't know if we ever will, but I really would like to see a version of Blackwood without that, or any other, chicane. (And also I'd like a Blackwood:Historic track, which is basically the original demo track, with and without the chicane, of course).
That chicane would have to be a lot more tighter than in that djgizmo68 pic... something like the Mulsanne chicanes at Le Mans.

Though every chicane in LFS is lacking one thing... and that is actual braking. I mean that because the curbs are so flat you can basicly go flat out over them without taking any damage. It sucks.
Quote from sinbad :XC it's not a contest to see who can prove they had the most original suggestions

oh i know, im just saying.. i find it interesting to see how little they vary from old to the new topics, its just interesting how close some really turn out to be
Do we really need tilke tracks in LFS? 'Just one more chicane'

Blackwood has been the spiritual soul of LFS and hasn't required change in at least 5 years we've all known it... Why does it need changing now?
Quote from Scottie :Do we really need tilke tracks in LFS? 'Just one more chicane'

Blackwood has been the spiritual soul of LFS and hasn't required change in at least 5 years we've all known it... Why does it need changing now?

If you'd read what people are suggesting, you'd see that the base track we've all known for '5 years' isn't wanted to be changed. The usual configuration would still be intact and able to be used.

Only BL would have another configuration possible if it had another alternate chicane midway down the back straight. Allowing the original chicane to be a straight, and this new chicane as another option.

I don't see anything wrong with adding chicanes... and people using "Tilke" as an example is wrong. He revamps tracks completely (mostly architectural facelifts are his focus), he doesn't just add a chicanes... Besides, adding a chicane or something new to a track is almost always very good for racing and mixes things up more. This other chicane idea would have little affect on people who are veterans, it would be just a different config to use... and specifically for the rally-x course.

A lot of the other LFS tracks need more life by adding some better corner complexes that are only accessible with other track config choices... and I especially am talking about Aston here. Blackwood can change here and there, it doesn't have that much room for extensions... but if something like this is possible, I don't see a reason why not to. It is hardly being "destroyed".
#11 - dev
Don't change Blackwood!!!!!!!!!
Quote from dev :Don't change Blackwood!!!!!!!!!

I doubt anything will happen anyways... solely because people will want it to retain its original design.

I'd rather suggest corner differences for the other tracks like Aston and Westhill. Those need more variations than anything else imo.
Quote from dev :Don't change Blackwood!!!!!!!!!

hah! thats what we said in S1, now go back and its near impossible its so different
Was just a suggestion. i mean, this whole sub forum is for suggestions, Might aswell speak our mind

BlackWood Chicane
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG