The online racing simulator
Formula 3 at Bentwaters Park
(61 posts, started )
@Tristan: since you know how shaky things really look inside single seaters, and know how much your head moves around due to the G-forces, could you estimate what sort of values in LFS View menu's 1g movement settings would shake what you see on the monitor as "much" as in RL, please? I realise it's still nowhere near realistic but should everything be at max, or..?

Cheers
where are longer on board vids... i want longer on board vids...

:bump:
NAI - I've only just got round to having a play, and this is what I came up with after driving the FOX at KY2.

Head Tilt - 2 degrees
Lateral Shift - 0.012m
Forward Shift - 0.010m
Vertical Shift - 0.020m

Look Function - Steer
Look Sensitivity - 1.30

However, whilst I think this view is reasonable realistic, it's useless for me to drive with, as I suddenly feel detached from the car. The look left/right on steering is especially weird, as in real life you don't change your view much when you catch a slide, but you do look to apex.

And I would like to see a lean-in control, as I find I lean my head, especially in slower corners, which compensates for any outward lateral movement.

George - you have all the onboard footage we have so far, and at the moment we don't have an onboard camera any more (we sold the last one on ebay for a wee profit). Andrew (my brother and car sharer) is hoping to get an mpeg2 solid state recorder system soon, but I don't know if it will be in time for Lydden at the end of this month... You might have to wait until next year, when hopefully we'll be racing in Monopostos.

Fordman (if you read this tonight) - Andy in the 903 had an accident at Snett this morning and damaged his rear wing quite badly. We brought his stuff back here to try and fix it, but alas it wasn't fixable in a moment. He's borrowed our rear wing, he's trying to find another one from around here, and he's considering taking off the nose cone and racing sans-downforce (!!!!). I don't know if the car will be there by the time you roll in, but if I can get your daughter in his car I will. If not, swing by mine sometime and we'll get you and her (and any other members of your family) in ours.
Don't know if anyone really cares (understandable if not ), but here is a link to a 1m10s (20MB) video of highlights from Lydden, the last sprint of the year.

It shows me fighting oversteer (yippee), opposite locking, and hooning about, and shows my big brother Andrew throwing it onto the green stuff.

Just a little teaser. I could potentially add more, but will only do so if enough people want me to - most of the rest is just driving around with relatively little drama.

It's not onboard either, but trackside, so don't expect too much!

www.reynard883.com/misc/lydden_highlights.wmv (20MB - Right Click, Save as)
#55 - J.B.
The quality of the video is great, did you record/encode it yourself? And I think the car looks looks really nice, maybe because it doesn't have the crazy amount of downforce that today's F3's have.

So you and your brother are both using the same black helmet, or is there a way to tell which one of you is driving? Anyway, it looks like great fun so please keep us updated in this thread.
No, it was recorded by a man on the top of a van who goes around recording Lydden events and selling DVD's to passing punters The company is called BKVP Sport (which is the nasty overlay on the video says). I don't want to put too much of the video online as it is copyrighted by BKVP, but I thought a little highlights clip wouldn't get as far as court

I have the dark metallic grey helmet, with more vents, and a blue visor (with silver text on the visor). Andrew has a (cheaper) Black helmet and clear visor.

He is 91, I'm 191.
Whoops, I didn't even realise I'd been replied to Thank you for the view info Please, do feel free to add more at will, looks like great fun
#59 - J.B.
Quote from tristancliffe :
He is 91, I'm 191.

Watched it again. So you are the guy doing the fancy, Alesi-style counter-steering while your brother spins instead of catching the car. Of course that's because of LFS.
You know, I'm convinced it is. Not only am I more confident in the car, I'm more able to predict oversteer, more adept at catching it, and faster too boot.

Andrew holds the wheel funny, and insists on shuffling the steering on tighter corners or to catch slides. I made him play LFS and nKP when my G25 arrived, and he didn't have a clue on how to drive a racing car. I intend to 'teach' him in LFS.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KSwecRQJI1c

here's onboard with a similar (looks like older than yours?) F3 car No idea about the driver or track, I don't know where did I even get this clip, just some day found it from my HD and then uploaded to youtube.

Formula 3 at Bentwaters Park
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG