The online racing simulator
Their IS sound in heli cam, its just much more quiet than before (im guessing its to do with distance and sound calculations.) imo much more realistic but turn your sound up loud and you can hear it.

I will try out sound and unlocking in Vista 64 tommorow and report back.

Good job Scawen.
Quote from RoCkBiGdAvE :Their IS sound in heli cam, its just much more quiet than before (im guessing its to do with distance and sound calculations.) imo much more realistic but turn your sound up loud and you can hear it.

Try to go in shift+u mode and set it to the same height as the heli cam - the sound will be a lot louder.

Short note: The GTI's engine is barely hearable when idle. Nothing new as it was like this in all the previous versions, but I still think it's a bit odd.
U21, audible steps and/or odd interpolated steps in engine sound, U20 brings back normal (better) sound. Seems completely unrelated to hardware / DirectX sound acceleration. Latest drivers made no difference.

3 GHz, Windows XP, Realtek AC97/WDM (VIA).

(horns work. )

Samples are stretched to twice their original length.
Attached files
u20.mp3 - 47.5 KB - 404 views
u21.mp3 - 50.5 KB - 365 views
u20_down.mp3 - 22 KB - 386 views
u21_down.mp3 - 23.8 KB - 354 views
Audible steps and sound lags, once i tried the BF1

AMD 4000 (...nudging FX-57 speeds )
ACC97 on my A8N-SLi Premium (Latest Drivers, updated about 4 hours ago, latest bios too)
Horns work, but i have sound latency (~0.3 sec.).

Windows XP SP2 (SB Live! 5.1)...
Quote from GP4Flo :
More sound lag
With U20 I can set the sound lag to the lowest possible value (0.10s) and it sounds very smooth. With U21 I get the impression that the sound is delayed for a higher value. It's difficult to say how much, because it's all down to hearing it, but with the direct side by side comparison I'd say that the lag is around 0.20 s now, a lot higher than before.

Lower sound quality
When reving the engine of e.g. the BF1 in single player mode I get the impression, that some parts of the engine sounds are missing. It's difficult to describe, but I think some sound parts are kicking in after some time delay, in contrast to U20 where you can hear the whole engine sound right from the beginning.

I was not able to reproduce these two. Could verify the other two you mentioned Flo.
Isn't LFS default at 0.20 sound lag? In older versions if I lowerd the sound lag, it would be too much for my fairly good sound card. And raising it too high it would slightly go off and have a bit of lag. I'll give U21 a try now.
TEST Patch U22
WARNING : THIS IS A TEST WHICH IS LIKELY TO HAVE PROBLEMS

The sound system now works in a very different way! It's just the same old sounds but they don't use a prediction based on a position reported by Windows, instead they use a callback. This is supposed to fix the Windows Vista sound bug, and should, I hope, provide more responsive sound in other versions of Windows as well, and possibly give slight performance increase. But the changes are extensive and different parts of the program are trying to run at the same time, so there really might be some mysterious problems. There is no more "Sound Lag" slider bar.

Test Patch U22 contains some fixes for U21 - including smaller, more frequent sound blocks. You can change the number of these with a new "Sound Blocks" control in Misc Options. Each block is equivalent to approx 1/20th of a second of sound lag.

Changes in TEST PATCH U22 :

Engine sound can now be heard from a greater distance
Sound blocks reduced in size for more responsive sound
New setting : Options... Misc... Sound Blocks (default 2)

FIX : S1 hosts were invisible in S2 list of games after refresh
FIX : Skid and scrape sounds are now bounded to reasonable level

Changes in TEST PATCH U21 :

New strings for buttons : end race, spectate, join (were shared)
New string "play" instead of "OK" button in replay select screen
HLVC : NEXT lap is now not invalidated by driving the wrong way
S2 users can now see and join S1 hosts in List of Games screen
S1 users can now use the automatic skin download system
Included Czech translation of training lessons

FIX : When REV config replay was selected, REV was not displayed
FIX : When there were no SPR replays, MPR vanished from ALL view
FIX : Rare problem causing your car to vanish on other computers
FIX : Could not view user names in replay if MP mode was Demo
FIX : Bug in camera position height part of sound calculation
FIX : Unlocking is now possible in Windows Vista 64-bit
FIX : Sound should now work correctly in Windows Vista

NOTE : Translatable text updated

DOWNLOAD :

TEST PATCH U22 :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_U22_TEST.zip

DEDICATED HOST U22 (for hosting only) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_U22.zip
TEST Patch U22
WARNING : THIS IS A TEST WHICH IS LIKELY TO HAVE PROBLEMS

The sound system now works in a very different way! It's just the same old sounds but they don't use a prediction based on a position reported by Windows, instead they use a callback. This is supposed to fix the Windows Vista sound bug, and should, I hope, provide more responsive sound in other versions of Windows as well, and possibly give slight performance increase. But the changes are extensive and different parts of the program are trying to run at the same time, so there really might be some mysterious problems. There is no more "Sound Lag" slider bar.

Test Patch U22 contains some fixes for U21 - including smaller, more frequent sound blocks. You can change the number of these with a new "Sound Blocks" control in Misc Options. Each block is equivalent to approx 1/20th of a second of sound lag.

Changes in TEST PATCH U22 :

Engine sound can now be heard from a greater distance
Sound blocks reduced in size for more responsive sound
New setting : Options... Misc... Sound Blocks (default 2)

FIX : S1 hosts were invisible in S2 list of games after refresh
FIX : Skid and scrape sounds are now bounded to reasonable level

Changes in TEST PATCH U21 :

New strings for buttons : end race, spectate, join (were shared)
New string "play" instead of "OK" button in replay select screen
HLVC : NEXT lap is now not invalidated by driving the wrong way
S2 users can now see and join S1 hosts in List of Games screen
S1 users can now use the automatic skin download system
Included Czech translation of training lessons

FIX : When REV config replay was selected, REV was not displayed
FIX : When there were no SPR replays, MPR vanished from ALL view
FIX : Rare problem causing your car to vanish on other computers
FIX : Could not view user names in replay if MP mode was Demo
FIX : Bug in camera position height part of sound calculation
FIX : Unlocking is now possible in Windows Vista 64-bit
FIX : Sound should now work correctly in Windows Vista

NOTE : Translatable text updated

DOWNLOAD :

TEST PATCH U22 :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_U22_TEST.zip

DEDICATED HOST U22 (for hosting only) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_U22.zip
I've just applied U22 (to U20) and it's locked LFS back to demo mode, is this normal?
Quote from Zero7 :I've just applied U22 (to U20) and it's locked LFS back to demo mode, is this normal?

It's not expected, but possible (in Windows XP) due to the slight change in the unlocking which fixes Vista 64-bit. I've given you a spare unlock - please let me know if unlocking still works correctly.
Special thread for sound issues
I've made a separate thread to discuss U22 sound, to keep things simpler.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=13564

If you need to report any other U22 bugs, please do that here, but anything to do with sound, please do that on the other thread.
I'm on Windows 2k server (sp4) and lfs locked to demo mode from S2, when i installed U22.
And i can't even unlock it now, gives "Unlocking error".
Quote from Nikolay :I'm on Windows 2k server (sp4) and lfs locked to demo mode from S2, when i installed U22.
And i can't even unlock it now, gives "Unlocking error".

It's the same thing for me. I'm using Windows 2000 Professional.

When I installed the U20 again, LFS was unlocked again, but, when I clicked on multiplayer, some text came up saying that I only could connect to demo servers. I locked LFS so I could unlock it again but got the "Unlocking error" message.
Quote from Scawen :It's not expected, but possible (in Windows XP) due to the slight change in the unlocking which fixes Vista 64-bit. I've given you a spare unlock - please let me know if unlocking still works correctly.

Thanks Scawen. Yes, I managed to unlock.
Windows 2000 Unlocking
Nikolay and Lotsipxes :

Thanks for the bug report. You will need to use U20 for now. I expect to fix that for U23.
Small request: Can you please add two chars to 3a_upc_male and one char to 3a_upc_fmal?
ok just tried u22

this is very minor but still a bit irritating

i usually have the time displayed in the top left corner... however, in single player if i go to the pits and then leave again i have the message 'replay is not being recorded' displayed quite large in the top left corner and it doesnt go away. Replay saving is set to manual save for both single and multiplayer races. if i restart the message doesnt come up its only when i go to the garage screen and then leave again.

I havent tried multiplayer yet as our BT internet service is, putting it politely, not very good and im getting stupidly high pings atm

i've gone back to u20 for now and the message doesnt appear at all
I'm always getting an unlock error with U22. Password and username are correct, OS is Win2000.
Attached images
Clipboard01.jpg
Just noticed this. Not sure if it was existant in any early U Test Patches, but this I have never seen.

The driver's suit model dissapears when viewing from a distance in the FO8. If you use Shift+U it will dissapear with a certain distance or FOV you choose.

This here is 33 degs of FOV and full height.
Attached images
suit_model_LOD.jpg
Forgive me for not knowing much, but has the distance from the car changed when using the top down view in U22. Also, i get no sound whatsoever when using this view. Is that expected?

Windows XP SP1 |Nvidia nForce Audio
Quote from mkinnov8 :Forgive me for not knowing much, but has the distance from the car changed when using the top down view in U22. Also, i get no sound whatsoever when using this view. Is that expected?
Windows XP SP1 |Nvidia nForce Audio

The sound system is different in U21 and U22. See this Spinoff thread for more info.
Quote from geeman1 :The sound system is different in U21 and U22. See this Spinoff thread for more info.

Aware of that thanks, and already visited the Spinoff thread. My question was more about has the height of the top down view, and in relation to sound, should there be any or not on that view, I remember pre U21, there used to be.

Thanks
Quote from traxxion :Let's take that as a final conclusion then In Holland we don't tend to translate foreign terms as much, and therefore Aston Noord sounds really really cheap.

You need to discuss this with the dutch translator. As it's really not a bug in the test patch, I think it's better to discuss it in the language packs section.

[ EDIT : Moved those posts to http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=13661 ]
This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG