The online racing simulator
display time to drivers in front/back
Hi,

I wondered why I never see this request and don´t understand why it isn´t in LFS.
It´s very important for me to know in wich sector I´m wich time back.
And if you are much time back it would be more fun to drive if you know that you drive so and so faster than the drivers in front of you.

Its my most important feautre and it would make me more happy then a new car or something.
Very nice will be something like in formel1 television (and in netkar pro) but times to the driver in front of you and to the driver back would be enough for now
#2 - bbman
Stop staring at your tires (or damage, whatever) display and take a look at the position list... Suddenly, you will see the times between you and other drivers! Hooray!
Ahh, sure, you are right if you wrote it and I tested it it came in my mind that I saw it some time ago but forgotten... :/
But as you said I mostly want to show damage or the tyres so I dont 'delete' my request.

It would be nice to have a temporaly time information comes in every new round or split.
If you make something with nice grafics I think only every round and if its only the time to the driver front and back it should come every split.

I dont think my equest is to hard to implement, so dont come with the argument of no priority for this...
Only write with the normal font the time differ to the others...
#4 - Lible
REQUEST: Show time to drivers in front, even if they are 1 sector in front of you.
yes that would be good in this context too, but I think harder to implement than my request
Or: show time to drivers in front and back, even when showing tire display.
Or an automatic switch between tire display and the times if there were a split (for 3-5 seconds) and then switch back.
But I think there should be enough room for both tire/damage and the time.
#8 - Misko
Or even better, make a new key to call for gaps. Because gaps stay on the screen for few seconds only, and if I'm in some twisty section of the track at that time its really not a good idea to look at the numbers, so a key to press on the next straight to show the last gaps would be more useful.

Even more simple would be an option for those gaps to stay on the positions screen untill the next split (untill the cars in front cross the next split point where they would dissapear, and gaps for cars behind would just be updated when they cross next split) so that we could remove the F9 display off the screen and see the gaps at any conventient time. I hope you understand what I mean.

One other thing I noticed about the gaps is in endurance racing. When taking over after two hours of racing for example (connected to the server at that point and continuing the race) gaps don't get shown anymore. Now, I'd have to double check all this, as I think admins of the race, who were present on the server all the time, were able to see gaps for us, but we couldn't. Needs more investigating, but maybe others noticed this problem too, so I brought it up.
That would be not much better I think for me its in a race everytime hard to press any other keys then I need to drive and there can many things to do that I dont have to click anything.
Your time to other drivers is one of the most important and intersting information in a race cause it is the gap between victory and lost... :P
So display the times in a list
1. Anton
2. Freddie +2,54sec
and so on and display everytime maybe 3 drivers and (so step one 1-3 step 2 4-6... like I wrote in my post 2 (in formel1) or easier only the times to your fight with front and back
Or number 3 automatic switching between tyre/damage and the times.

I prefer number one number 2 and 3 are the same...
I'd quite like some indication of whether a gap to another driver has increased or decreased too, without having to watch all the splits and remember them. It might also be good to be able to "highlight" other drivers that may be important to your own race, so you can clearly see their position and have a number against their name rather than having to count back/forward to work out which postion they are in.
Yeah, that would be good too, write it in green or red or better light to dark green if the time increases (to driver back) and yellow to red if it decreases...
yeah the ideas are quite good... I've although thought about it in a other thread, see here
Why so many people suggest more colors, more hud info and othes arcade like .... things?
I'll glad to see time gaps for the guy in front and in back and lap number when entering next lap (see attached gtr2 example - lap number is my addon, not in picture), so I could swith off all other arcade crap (shift+f) except flags and admin messages. LFS is my favourite sim but I don't like arcade like look of hud when racing - this would be most welcomed improvement for me.
Attached images
gtr2_time_gap.jpg
yes, why not... the screenshot is quite satisfying !!! The most important infos are on screen

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG