The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :On my computer it automatically puts a sheet of paper behind a tiny version of LFS icon. No shit!

EDIT : attached picture shows the automatically generated thing.

How to change the icon via code (example for SPR file):

Create a registry key called:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.spr , default = sprFile

then create:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sprFile, default = Live For Speed
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sprFile\DefaultIcon, default = "C:\LFS\LFS.exe,0"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sprFile\shell\open\command, default = "C:\LFS\LFS.exe \""%1\"

This will use the main LFS icon for the SPR files, or change the DefaultIcon value to another Icon :P
Quote from scurrg :I must be missing something I guess.

If I set, wheel on, driver off, in the F08, and then switch to FOX, set wheel off, I switch back to the F08 and the wheel is off. It's not remembering the settings for the different cars. And yes it says patch U9 when I start LFS.

Do you have to save the settings for the different cars? I don't get it.

Could it be that only the custom views are per car, and that the settings for internal view are still shared across cars ?
Some neat features in that patch. :up:

A few ideas:

1) copy the replay files to the correct folders just like the set files

2) open set files in an LFS window in the car setup screen

3) open jpgs with LFS skin viewer

4) auto file assosiation for noobs

I'm not sure 2) and 3) would really be useful but I would like 1).
Quote from J.B. :Some neat features in that patch. :up:

A few ideas:

1) copy the replay files to the correct folders just like the set files

2) open set files in an LFS window in the car setup screen

3) open jpgs with LFS skin viewer

4) auto file assosiation for noobs

I'm not sure 2) and 3) would really be useful but I would like 1).

2 would just be annoying. I don't want to always open LFS immediately afterwards.
Quote from Bean0 :Could it be that only the custom views are per car, and that the settings for internal view are still shared across cars ?

Yes, the "show driver and wheel" and "clocks mode" for standard cockpit views are shared across all cockpit views )unlike the same settings in custom views). And the FOV is shared across all views including custom views. It's a bit confusing and may seem strange until you consider that LFS has evolved gradually from a simpler program so some things are inconsistent until I tidy them up again.

Don't worry, I've read all the posts about views and I'm working on it.
Quote from KTy :Is next step the custom control settings for each car or even for each setup ? (clutch, auto-clutch, gear stick, gear behind the wheels,...etc)

I know you were getting impatient because I didn't answer. But I don't answer to every request. I prefer to think a while before I reply. So I just make a note and think about it, I will only reply if I have a question to ask. This saves me saying "I'll think about it" every time anyone says anything.

Anyway now I've had time to think about your request, how about this for a solution :

- Two separate settings for auto clutch option : one for SHIFTER and one for SEQUENTIAL.
- The formula cars should not even allow you to use a shifter!
- You should be forced to use sequential in a formula car, because they have a sequential gearbox.

So... that would allow you to choose (for example) :

- shifter, and manual clutch for the road cars (if you like)
- auto clutch for formula cars.

And it would change automatically when you change car.
Didn't the older formula cars all use H-gate shifters (~94)?
(Just as a thought to help in the considerations.)

Vain
Quote from Vain :Didn't the older formula cars all use H-gate shifters (~94)?
(Just as a thought to help in the considerations.)

Vain

I think so.

I assume F3 uses sequentials, but I'm not sure (RE the FOX)
Quote from duke_toaster :I think so.

I assume F3 uses sequentials, but I'm not sure (RE the FOX)

Sequential yes, paddle shifters no (both F3 and F Renault 2000).
My F3 car is an H pattern, but it's not exactly brand spanking new.
OK, good, no objections so far and that's nice because I prefer to keep things simple and automatic where possible.

In fact each car will need a "gearbox type" (sequential or H shifter) and that would allow for old single seaters if one would be added in future. When I said the formula cars, I just meant the formula cars that are in LFS right now, would be the ones to have forced sequential-only boxes in the next patch.

I assume that from a coding point of view, a sequential lever and a paddle shifter are exactly the same.

I guess that is what KTy and others would like to use - shifter on road cars and sequential on formula cars, so this automatic selection system will be the best choice. Of course, you can still use sequential on all cars, just by selecting "sequential" as you do now.
... One obscure thing that I never get the chance to mention Scawen....

I thought that in a (much) older version, when the virtual clocks were displayed, it used to retain the real ones on the dash as well... But for a long time now using the virtual ones shuts off the real ones.... Is it possible to change this or have the option for both? I like to use analogue clocks but I can't read it well unless it's virtual but I don't like the look of the dash with no clocks..... I realize it's slightly "unoptimized" this way which is probably why you changed it. Either that or I'm berserk and it never was that way?!

Not a big deal and not real important but if it's a quick change then it would be nifty....

OT: Man I love LFS. Where else can you talk to the lead programmer of your favorite sim like a normal human, and he even responds when necessary?
Quote from Scawen :I guess that is what KTy and others would like to use - shifter on road cars and sequential on formula cars, so this automatic selection system will be the best choice. Of course, you can still use sequential on all cars, just by selecting "sequential" as you do now.

this would be an amazing update, it would save me to change shifting control for formula cars and cars with no H-Shifter

Q: In the future, if we get a formula with H-Sifter, will LFS select H-Shifter by default? This would be an amazing update
BTW, with U9 patch I get a "No track selected" message and does not appear the "select a track" page as selecting "single player" when trying to start a server in multiplayer mode. I think should appear the "select a track" page too.
Quote from Scawen :
I guess that is what KTy and others would like to use - shifter on road cars and sequential on formula cars, so this automatic selection system will be the best choice. Of course, you can still use sequential on all cars, just by selecting "sequential" as you do now.

I have DFP, so could it be that in formulas I would have to use paddles, but in other cars I'd be using the shifter without having to change anything from Logitech Profiler or from LFS options?

If so, then big from me.
Quote from Scawen :I assume that from a coding point of view, a sequential lever and a paddle shifter are exactly the same.

I'd prefer separate control settings for paddle shifters and sequential stick shifter too. Ie. for a paddle shifted car I could bind some other actions to the sequential stick shifter and vice versa.
I also somewhat wish that there was a way so if you were using Formula/MRT it would use <Shifting Config A> but in Road Cars use <Shifting Config B>. For example in the formula cars I wanna use my momo paddles for shifting and the shifter for H-brake and clutch. But say I'm in my XRT, I wanna use the shifter for shifting and paddles for H-brake+clutch, that would be a nice addition.

Note: The H-brake +clutch could be any other combo /none

Sorta Diagram of it

FO8 -> Shifter --> Functions x+y
-> Paddles --> Shift Up + Down

GTi --> Shifter --> Shift Up + Down
--> Paddles --> Function a+b

Note2: By Shifter I mean on Momo/Similar wheels, I know this seems complicated now that I think about it, but just to have 2 controller configs that are autoset by what car you are using, would be nice.

EDIT: Just read the post above me, and he explained my request in the less words :@
A question releated to controls:

Would LFS (or any other program) be capable of doing some sort of control of how much throttle and brake given for the pedal position?

Let me explain, for the throttle/brake, using 60 % of pedal movement would only give lets say, 20 % of throttle/brake ingame. The remaining 40 % of pedal movement would give the remaining 80 % of throttle/brake.
Basicly giving you control of where you want the power of the throttle/brake to come.

Sometimes you may want to have lots of control over low power on the throttle/brake (like getting from slow speeds without wheelspins) or lots of contol of high power (beter control over breaking power).

I would really like something like this because the range of maintaining the correct speed for being fast is very narrow on my pedals, making it very hard to be fast. Giving you more room to play with would make me faster and giving me more control of the car.

Another question for you, regarding the graphics ingame:
Is LFS, in it's current state, capable of calculating more detailed shadows of cars? As it is now they don't have any clear 'edge' of where they begin/end. Would more detailed shadows make LFS unstable or would it be a performance hog?

Last question:
Is there any plans for adding specular- and bumpmaps for LFS (S2 or S3)?
Quote from DanneDA :A question releated to controls:

Would LFS (or any other program) be capable of doing some sort of control of how much throttle and brake given for the pedal position?

Let me explain, for the throttle/brake, using 60 % of pedal movement would only give lets say, 20 % of throttle/brake ingame. The remaining 40 % of pedal movement would give the remaining 80 % of throttle/brake.
Basicly giving you control of where you want the power of the throttle/brake to come.

Sometimes you may want to have lots of control over low power on the throttle/brake (like getting from slow speeds without wheelspins) or lots of contol of high power (beter control over breaking power).

I would really like something like this because the range of maintaining the correct speed for being fast is very narrow on my pedals, making it very hard to be fast. Giving you more room to play with would make me faster and giving me more control of the car.

you are asking for non-linear mapping of throttle, as far as i know RBR is the only game having this, but LFS has similar thing for steering, so i guess it will be not so hard to have it into LFS, but to be honest i'd like that scawen will keep its purpose for this patch, that is "doing the little things on the to-do list so that for next patch can be focused on few major things"
I thought LFS did have this, in the misc part but I may be mistaken.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I thought LFS did have this, in the misc part but I may be mistaken.

now that you make me think, you are right! IIRC lfs already has it!
theres an option called throttle/brake centre reduction ... i presume its nonlinearity for the pedals
After a bit of testing, that is what it does, it determines the linearity for the pedals, 1=full linear, 0= not at all linear.

EDIT: For me, .2 feels pretty good, I'd imagine that most would want some linearity for pedals. a good way to see the test is to put a bit of throttle on in game, and scroll it from each side.
Scawen, could you add shadows to the font? Depending on the background, I find it hard to read the text sometimes. For example the 'Text Unselected' color is white, but there's also white in the background picture of the settings screen. (optional) Shadows would help a lot in many case. I can't find a better color which works everywhere else.
Quote from askoff :Scawen, could you add shadows to the font? Depending on the background, I find it hard to read the text sometimes. For example the 'Text Unselected' color is white, but there's also white in the background picture of the settings screen. (optional) Shadows would help a lot in many case. I can't find a better color which works everywhere else.

Isnt there an option to change the interface colours?
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG