The online racing simulator
Quote from sil3ntwar :How are you going to think that when you know beforehand what tyres they are using and the commentators will tell you as well

You say that because you guys don't have idiots as commentators like us brazilians do.

Trust me, there will be confusion.
One Estonian motorsport journalist found intresting thing. 70% of first GP winners will be champions in that year.
Source & chart of last 10 years is right here.
Quote from TypeRacing :One Estonian motorsport journalist found intresting thing. 70% of first GP winners will be champions in that year.
Source & chart of last 10 years is right here.

That hasn't really been the case...it's been 25+ years where first time winners didn't become champions in the same year. But again there have been 2/3+-time champions and the 50's and 60's might have made that percentage.
New season...new and improved streamingapp!

Start out with installing the latest Ms visual 2010 :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...12db84&pf=true
Best do a reboot after this to avoid possible bugs later on.

Then download this file and unpack it in a folder of choosing.
http://www.mediafire.com/?7u1eaa4rows8lpe
This is a combination of Tor ,Privoxy and BBCplayer. Once it's unpacked just run bbcplayer.exe and choose your channel, smile, lean back and enjoy the free practise ,Qualy and races.
Live and in Hq on your PC! (Player also has bbc 1,2,3,4 CBBC and a few other channels.)

In case you run into an error make sure you rebooted afer installing MS visual and try launcing tor.exe (in the tor-folder) before launching theBBCplayer itself.

BBC schedule for this weekend (GMT) :
Australian Grand Prix, Albert Park, 25-27 March
Practice: Friday 25 March, 0125-0305 and 0525-0705; and Saturday 26 March 0255-0405, Red Button, online and 5 live sports extra
Qualifying: Saturday 26 March 0500-0730 on BBC One, BBC HD channel, Red Button, online and 5 live sports extra
Race: Sunday 27 March 0600-0900 on BBC One, Red Button, online and Radio 5 live sports extra

Enjoy.

edit : alternatively watch it here http://formula-one.speedtv.com ... rmula-one-video-streaming , atm the BBCplayer F1-stream keeps cutting out for me after a few seconds of playing.

Well seems 1.29 drops the stream when in HQ mode ,low works but the 1.22 version still works in HQ :
http://www.mediafire.com/?zv5map6cvk8dd18
Dear oh dear Karun.

Well, nice start to the new season.
Quote from Kazu2799 :True the BMW V10 engine was awesome but imagine a really high reving V12(which I guess can be achieved nowadays) how awesome would that sound

3.5 V12 with around 20k revs would be to die for.
Quote from Senninha25 :it should be a V8, V10 and V12 comeback, just like the early 90's.

At the very minimum the engine should be able to rev over 17k, to make up for the 4 banger.
I like early 90s engines' a bit lower revs but less sophisticated and much more raw sound.
Quote from deggis :I like early 90s engines' a bit lower revs but less sophisticated and much more raw sound.

I think all F1 fans agree with you there. And in the early 90's you have, JUDD, ILMOR, FORD Cosworth, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Honda, Yamaha, Mugen-Honda and more. Now you just basically have Ferrari with their own engine, mass of Mercedes engine and then Renault and Cosworth.
I think the best engine sounds came from lower RPMs...I loved the V10 engines independent from any era, but if I had to choose between the medium rev 3.5L engines and the high-revving 3.0L, the choice would be obvious. As great as they sounded, the last V10s were a bit too distorted in comparison.
My evidence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q2_EIBiDkQ - Renault RS5 (1993)
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK6RZdb-Ooo - Honda RA100E (1990)
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4dTMm3xfog - Renault RS25 (2005)

But actually, the thing that I'm really puzzled about is how the V8's sound changed...ok, today's units have a smaller capacity (2.4L to 3.5) but they sound awful compared to the 3.5L and hell, 3.0L units!

EDIT: Sorry for the rambling and off-topic (hope you enjoy the engines tho!)
This season the cars seem to make a really awesome rasping noise as they are winding down through 2nd/3rd gear corners, must be due to the flat exhausts they keep talking about, sounds like a blown defuser but it's not.
That sound is the overrun strategy designed to maximise the blown diffusers and floors.
Quote from tristancliffe :That sound is the overrun strategy designed to maximise the blown diffusers and floors.

I kept hearing that blown diffusers were banned. Then when the season begin at FP1 they kept talking about how McLaren scrapped their blown design to follow Red Bull in their exhaust system design.

What do you mean by overrun strategy?
Double diffusers are banned. Blown diffusers are the reason exhausts are 'exciting' this year. McLaren scrapped their 'octopus' blown diffuser concept, and went with a 'simple' Red Bull/Ferrari style blown diffuser.

The overrun strategy is the ECU maps that control the ignition timing, fuel injection strategy and a whole host of other technical things to keep a lot of exhaust gas flow when the revs are high and the throttle input is low (i.e. the car is on the overrun - usually when lifting or braking for a corner). The 'old' method was to inject just enough fuel to control temperatures (cut-off probably isn't used on a racecar as it ruins throttle pickup) at vaguely realistic ignition angles. But that massively reduced the exhaust gas flow. Somehow, they've got around that - lots of flow without burning lots of fuel or opening the throttle, and without generating torque output.

The downside is the fact the exhaust gasses from a heavily retarded ignition are very hot (hotter than full load lambda 0.85:1), which is why Zircotec are getting a lot of publicity recently.

The exhaust on our race car is coated by Zircotec. They are neither a new company, nor are all their products priced for F1. Just thought I'd mention that in case people think thermal management is new, special, expensive or clever.
Quote from tristancliffe : Just thought I'd mention that in case people think thermal management is new, special, expensive or clever.

It may not be new or special, but it probably is expensive :P

Anyway, thank you for the technical explanation, it did sink in.
Well, the F1 stuff probably is expensive, but Zircotec do affordable stuff too.
Watching back my .spr in F08, I wouldn't touch it even they paid me
-
(NSX_FReeDoM) DELETED by NSX_FReeDoM
i don't agree with these aids. but i do understand why they are using them. once they put a ban one multiple surfaces on the front wing, (imo) it should make passing more "natural".
Quote from Autosport :
HRT Slips Out of Formula One

Autosport has just received news that Hispania Racing has pulled out of Formula One before the upcoming Malaysian Grand Prix, and after the Spanish King Juan Carlos blasts the team for being an embarrassment to the country. Updates to follow.

Source

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG