The online racing simulator
High Quality Texture - Blackwood WIP
Hi all,

the following WIP hi-res update for Blackwood track was made in aproximetly 6 hours.All textures are created from scratch and are not based on any real life textures.Exception is sand texture update.

There are many "bugs" currently which I will try to eliminate once I will have some more free time as I am currently every busy in my job(well same as in last several month :-( ).I am waiting for your feedback guys so I can included your opinions in my upcoming updates.There is also possibility for more versions if there will be demand for that.

Please use following link to download the custom WIP textures.I strongly recomend also to back-up the original DDS files before replacing them in case you would like to go back to the original ones.

BWnewroad.dds
BWoldroad.dds
BWgrasspit1.dds

UPDATED:
BWcurbs1.dds

a bit different version of the same curbs
BWcurbs1.dds

Also some other custom updates to Blackwood:

BW_pits2.dds
GWpitdor.dds
RALY_pitdor.dds

I am also recomending to use following nice update from Electrik Kar:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=8322

And custom Hi-res sky textures made by Don:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=8852

Hope you will enjoy this WIP update.Any possitive or negative feedback is welcome

Best regards,
DEVIL 007
Attached images
test004.jpg
test005.jpg
test006.jpg
test009.jpg
test002.jpg
test007.jpg
curbs001.jpg
curbs002.jpg
any chance you could zip them? Im capped to 56k speeds until the 14th and zipping dds reduces the size by quite a bit.
Hi Devil 007-

Beautiful! These road textures look really nice. Downloading now to check it all out. Just got back online yesterday. Glad to see we're still at it! I was working on a sand texture just before I left (holidays in southern Turkey, nice ), but this stuff looks great. Question: these car skins look fabulous as well- where did you get them from? Did you make them?

Good stuff!

edit: Yup- just had a play in game- the new road is awesome (around the pits, it's so high-res you could eat off it!) Got your latest brickwall and pitdoors textures too... wow- you go away for a few days, come back- and it's christmas

!
@sil3ntwar

I am sorry as I didnt think further.I have 5Mbit so its not problem for me but I will keep it in my mind for next updates.
I will zip them when I will get back at home but that will be probably later today(around 22-23h)as I need to fix 2 PCs from my friends.

@Electrik Kar
Thanks for your early feedback.It was just really quick work as I really wanted to release something finally after some experiments.
I didnt make this car skins but I have downloaded some from the Skin forum here and some from like Master Skinners.Sorry I dont remeber the exact site names.There are I think 2 websites with a lot of nice skins to download.The game on screenshots looks then even better
cheers mate. Usually on 2mbps but i hit my 10 gig cap Im gonna download them like this anyway just means its gonna take half an hour and piss everyone else in the house off
Woah... Devil007, how did you make these roads? I'm really enjoying them! I'm impressed how good they look in game- truly well done..!
#7 - Zonda
Very nice work so far! I like the small imperfections you added, like the cracks where the tarmac was layed in different stages. Looks excellent.
Dirty, dirty, dirty...

Inspired by your tracks, i recreated the gravel surface texture. Originally, I just made the whole thing on top of the original, but Eric made some really nice bumpy effects, and my effort was quite patchy and too detailed, so when the textures lined up along side each other at different points, you could easily see the edges. I ended up blending the new details into the overall composition of the original, and it looks much better now. The image is twice the size now too...

edit: i'm wondering if you would like to team up? We could do a nice higher-res Blackwood texture pack, by combining your textures and mine... just a thought.
Attached images
dirty.jpg
Get that gravel texture released asap Looks nice.

One thing I noticed, is when people update Blackwood textures, they never seem to take the rally parts into consideration. I've had to remove a high-res grass texture because the creator didn't do the grass verge for the rally bits, looked very strange.
Hi,
really small updated with curb texture.

BWcurbs1.dds
Attached images
curbs001.jpg
curbs002.jpg
the size is much better, but they look too grainy, imo they need to be smoothed a bit
Quote from Honey :the size is much better, but they look too grainy, imo they need to be smoothed a bit

Maybee....I was thinking about it and tried it but it looks then too "plastic".
Did you try it in game?

Anyway it doesnt mean I am ending with 1 result

EDITED:
I tried to smooth it a bit but I am not sure about the result.
Honey...please try it and tell me your opinion.

Smoothed test version of the Blackwood curbs.
BWcurbs1.dds
Looks good to me... trying out now,

edit: I like it- definately an improvement, but I wonder if instead of smoothing the texture, instead trying to fade it back into the other texture a bit, so it's not so pronounced, a bit more grey instead of white. To me the white blocks look good, but the contrast between the white on top of the blue is maybe a bit too much..
hehe. Trying to do a grass texture, but it's just not working. Eric's lower res texture always looks way better...
got some nice skins. Devil, how do you assign a skin to an AI driver? I read a tutorial where is says to create a new colour profile, and give it the name of an AI driver, and choose a skin (eg, i'm guessing "AI 1")- but it won't work.

Any thoughts?

Ps, here's my personal skin for now---
Attached images
electrikcar.jpg
Quote from Electrik Kar :got some nice skins. Devil, how do you assign a skin to an AI driver? I read a tutorial where is says to create a new colour profile, and give it the name of an AI driver, and choose a skin (eg, i'm guessing "AI 1")- but it won't work.

Any thoughts?

Ps, here's my personal skin for now---

Hi again,
I am attaching another texture replacemnt.Pit road texture.
BWpitroad.dds

I will try to improve the blue blocks.I wish I hade free time for these re-texturing:-(.

Regarding the skins for AI.Its easy.Choose a skin then add car then go back to garage and choose new skin and add another AI.Simpe...isnt it?
Attached images
pits.jpg
Thanks Dev,

I must have noobiness written all over me...

hmph. but it doesn't work. All the AI drivers are now the same skin. I don't get it.
You can also create .col files with the names of the AIs. I have never tried that though
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Maybee....I was thinking about it and tried it but it looks then too "plastic".
Did you try it in game?

Anyway it doesnt mean I am ending with 1 result

EDITED:
I tried to smooth it a bit but I am not sure about the result.
Honey...please try it and tell me your opinion.

Smoothed test version of the Blackwood curbs.
BWcurbs1.dds

smoother are better imo, but still i would smooth more, maybe playing with the shadow/highlights function of photoshop, you could do it without making it blurry.

also i forgot to tell you (if possible) to increase "the resolution" of tarmac, without AA/AF it look s like it have less resolution (i.e seems like a 1024 texture somehow), if you point attention at your screenies the comparison between the curbs look and the tarmac look should explain better what i'm trying to say: the curb look very detailed (very good ), but tarmac seems a bit less.

please keep in mind that i always have AA/AF turned off, so our judgements are obviously differently biased
Moved to Miscellaneous Addons
Quote : I will try to improve the blue blocks.I wish I hade free time for these re-texturing:-(.

Devil,
You can, in photoshop, use the selective colour option under image/adjustments to tone down the white. I experimented with selecting a blue block, going to the selective colour menu, select whites, and then increase the black slider. I increased it to 80%. I think it looks a bit more natural now, a bit worn and grey- due to the rubber rubbing off on the curb, i guess... repeat for each of the blue blocks... Of course this is just a subjective preference.
Quote :
also i forgot to tell you (if possible) to increase "the resolution" of tarmac, without AA/AF it look s like it have less resolution (i.e seems like a 1024 texture somehow), if you point attention at your screenies the comparison between the curbs look and the tarmac look should explain better what i'm trying to say: the curb look very detailed (very good ), but tarmac seems a bit less.

please keep in mind that i always have AA/AF turned off, so our judgements are obviously differently biased

I think that the resolution/detail of Devil's roads is fine (great actually). But as you say this may be due to AF. Also, it may be a mapping issue, where Eric has scaled the same texture at different places, so in some places it looks very high-res and detailed, and other places, too blown up and blurry. I have noticed this in game as well. But there's nothing you can do. I'm afraid of getting into creating too huge textures as a solution to this problem, it would make the normal scaled texture look very grainy and weird, I imagine...
Attached images
selective colour.jpg
Very nice texture. Just one suggestion, could you add a line where the pit road meets the pit stop area? It's not very visible where the pitlane ends and would IMHO be better to have a line there. Real tracks have the line, right? Ofcourse i have NO idea how the dds is made and i don't know if it would work.
i'm using it, but the curbs are really annoying me... the white spikkels* are not so nice

|*spikkels= lotsa small dots|
all the rest is verry nice!!! really like the pits! nice road woaw!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG