The online racing simulator
Server downtime scheduled (Wednesday 17th Feb.)
Dear LFS Racers.

I thought I'd just start a thread on this to hopefully reduce the number of threads popping up with any conspiracy theories!
Quote from Victor's announcement :Hello LFS Racers.

In the night between Tuesday 16th and Wednesday 17th of February our servers will go offline for several hours. This is because they are being relocated to another data center. Unfortunately this time we cannot do the move transparently.

The expected schedule is the following :
- At 0:00AM UTC the LFS websites and master server will go down.
- Around 9:00AM UTC Wednesday morning services will be resumed.

Because the master server will be unavailable, no multiplayer racing will be possible during this time as well as unlocking LFS.

We hope this will not inconvenience too many people as the move will be done during the (european) night, but want to extend our apologies in advance nevertheless.

PS, our servers' IP addresses will remain the same. So in the case you have any application that connects directly via IP to our servers, you do not need to update anything.

- LFS Developers

This is in no way connected with a new patch. The work for the next update is not yet done, and is still too far off to be able to give any sort of estimate.

For anyone who was wondering... never in the history of LFS has an update required or resulted in any server downtime. When there is a patch we just put the files in the right place and then update the website with already prepared scripts - and that change happens in around 3 seconds or so.

We are also not upgrading the servers or trying to cut costs or anything like that. The move is because the company that houses our servers is closing its occupancy in the data centre where our servers are currently located. We are staying with the same company and they are moving our servers and theirs to a different location.

We hope that the move goes smoothly and that everything works as expected when the servers are switched back on. Hopefully that should happen as planned by around 9:00 AM Wednesday morning. With some luck there won't be too many problems and we'll be back up and running in the morning!
Thanks for clarification.

Kinda dissapointed to hear that the patch is still so far away that you cannot give any sort of estimate. But as soon it's good, I can wait.
Quote from Scawen :The work for the next update is not yet done, and is still too far off to be able to give any sort of estimate.

More than estimate we would like to hear few words about progress. Is the developement plan still the same as listed in the last progress report, maybe some problems ocurred, we don't know while we would like to. There is still one thing which isn't clear yet - will the S3 content apear in the Scirocco/physics patch? I personaly think that finishing Rockingham and making another car will take some time so we wont see S3 content in 0.6A.
We are pretty excited as it's going to be the biggest patch since S2 release and biggest change in physics engine.
Quote from Amynue :More than estimate we would like to hear few words about progress.

Yup.
Cue the butthurt masses clamoring for an update
Good to clarify that.
#9 - meil
Quote from Scawen : update is not yet done,

Still not? It should be done early 2009!

LFS becomes more and more downright rediculous
Quote from meil :Still not? It should be done early 2009!

Quality takes time. Lots and lots of time.

A little too much for me tbh, but I'll be back from rFactor Historic GT when the new patch it out. I'll keep myself entertained!
Sad
Keep it up
Quote from Scawen :
This is in no way connected with a new patch.

I bet this sentence killed 96% of theories
Quote from Scawen :This is in no way connected with a new patch. The work for the next update is not yet done, and is still too far off to be able to give any sort of estimate.

Not that i am moaning, but i just want to say that in hope that you will see it Scawen, even if exactly the same thing was already said milion times already.

Sorry but becouse of all that time it is taking, i hardly hope that we will get some proper patch, when it is done. In one of the previous threads you said that VWS is close to the end and that it should not take long time anymore and that this is why you will not try to make ESP very realistic, so i hardly hope that we will at least get something very good, for the time it is taking. I respect all of you guys and i personaly do not care if patch is done tomorow or in few months if it will be a realy good patch, but i just wanted to say that. Sorry, but that is taking far over just a year now and last thing i am expecting once it's done, is some quickly done ESP shit (just an example). I belive that next patch will improve LFS a lot and hopefuly i am not wrong.

/me goes and hides in fear of flames. :munching_
Quote from thezero :Not that i am moaning, but i just want to say that in hope that you will see it Scawen, even if exactly the same thing was already said milion times already.

Sorry but becouse of all that time it is taking, i hardly hope that we will get some proper patch, when it is done. In one of the previous threads you said that VWS is close to the end and that it should not take long time anymore and that this is why you will not try to make ESP very realistic, so i hardly hope that we will at least get something very good, for the time it is taking. I respect all of you guys and i personaly do not care if patch is done tomorow or in few months if it will be a realy good patch, but i just wanted to say that. Sorry, but that is taking far over just a year now and last thing i am expecting once it's done, is some quickly done ESP shit (just an example). I belive that next patch will improve LFS a lot and hopefuly i am not wrong.

/me goes and hides in fear of flames. :munching_

Not that I am moaning, but I just want to say that in hope that you will see it Scawen, you'll instruct the mods to start banning everyone who complains so you don't have to see this crap every time you log onto the forums.
Quote from tmehlinger :Not that I am moaning, but I just want to say that in hope that you will see it Scawen, you'll instruct the mods to start banning everyone who complains so you don't have to see this crap every time you log onto the forums.

Seriously, piss off with that kind of sarcasm. I wouldnt say if i was trolling like half of mentaly handicaped retards does on this forum, but when i was giving out my honest opinion, i dont appreciate that kind of comments.
Quote from tmehlinger :Not that I am moaning, but I just want to say that in hope that you will see it Scawen, you'll instruct the mods to start banning everyone who complains so you don't have to see this crap every time you log onto the forums.

Let people say what they want, it is a public forum after all.
Quote from thezero :Seriously, piss off with that kind of sarcasm. I wouldnt say if i was trolling like half of mentaly handicaped retards does on this forum, but when i was giving out my honest opinion, i dont appreciate that kind of comments.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was serious as a heart attack. I'd really like to see the mods lay down the law on all the personal appeals and complaining. It'll be done when it's done.

I think this post is way out of line, btw as far as I know, Scawen isn't really a banner type of guy. as you can see Scawen/ Victor/ Erik/ 'the moderators' don't want to have a Race Sim Central Forums culture. they do not ban somebody when they tell there opinion, even when 'the moderators' / Scavier don't like what they are saying.

as far I know the only way you can get banned around here is when you cross the line. if you are insulting, doing illegal stuff, etc..

talking about insulting, your post comes close in my eyes.....

Quote from thezero :Seriously, piss off with that kind of sarcasm. I wouldnt say if i was trolling like half of mentaly handicaped retards does on this forum, but when i was giving out my honest opinion, i dont appreciate that kind of comments.

totally right, he got no reason to post something like that.

On topic:

Hope that they wont cos too much trouble with the more. it would be shit if something gets broken during the move. Lets hope for the best:P
#20 - VoiD
You guys are just absurd.

Two simple threads about some minor basic information (moving hardware, not related to any other things!) turned into kindergarten within a few posts.

Very well done...! Once again I feel ashamed to be part of this community...
Quote from meil :Still not? It should be done early 2009!

Nice 1st post since 2003
Quote from hotmail :I think this post is way out of line, btw as far as I know, Scawen isn't really a banner type of guy. as you can see Scawen/ Victor/ Erik/ 'the moderators' don't want to have a Race Sim Central Forums culture. they do not ban somebody when they tell there opinion, even when 'the moderators' / Scavier don't like what they are saying.

Clearly they don't want to have an RSC-esque culture. I'm saying they should. When Scawen says things like this:

Quote from Scawen :
I ignore probably 99% of such posts. I nearly ignored this one as well but I had this interesting thought as I went away for 5 minutes, how boring it really is that it seems now that every thread I decide to read, soon enough I'll stumble across one more of these boring posts complaining about the rate of progress. And each one makes me wonder what I'm doing this for. Each time I remind myself of the majority out there, who really do like LFS and the updates they get. And have not set a time frame in their own mind and then constantly pull us up on the time frame THEY set for us. It's ridiculous.

I think it's time to start separating the wheat from the chaff. If the complaints and appeals are bringing him to the point where he doesn't see a reason to continue development, there's a serious problem.

Quote from hotmail :
On topic:

Hope that they wont cos too much trouble with the more. it would be shit if something gets broken during the move. Lets hope for the best:P

At least we agree on this point.
Floating an idea...

Is anyone up for joining a server before the downtime is scheduled to start and racing all night through to the morning? If you get on the server before the downtime you can stay there without the master server (you just need the master server for getting host list, joining hosts, sending/receiving from LFS World etc).
Quote from Scawen :Hopefully that should happen as planned by around 9:00 AM Wednesday morning. With some luck there won't be too many problems and we'll be back up and running in the morning!

Can you give a time zone with your posts. 9:00 AM UTC?
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG