The online racing simulator
Drop in frames since new processor
(58 posts, started )
Quote from Bawbag :A little theory could be that problem comes when under heavy load because of the fans, once the processor and 8800GT heat up both fans obviously have to work harder thus draining power from the processor.

As I said i'll try get a 550w or 600w tommorow. Btw Pecky in the 15 mins it's been since I started writing this post the processors clock speed has been at 3.00GHz the whole time, no throttling or anything.

Power consumption of the fans is a lot lower comparing to what a CPU or a GPU needs... your fans could not take more than 3-5 watts. There is no way any fan speed variation could cause you this problem.

This is a bit confusing, but to me it seems more like the motherboard's incapability to support properly your new CPU.

I have searched a bit about your core and it seems that Windsor cores where released in both 125 and 89watt versions. I have found references to your core's stepping though mentioning that power consumption is 89W. So if this is true, you shouldn’t have any hardware related problem.

Having in mind that you previously used a not known to us brand PSU, and now you have a reconditioned ocz psu... it is not a bad idea to get e proper 600W PSU, even though your system could be run easily with a proper quality 400W PSU like the Corsair CX400 or the pc power and cooling silenser 420

Also try to raise your CPU vcore to 1.4V and see if it strays longer in performance mode.

Could it be that you do not have good airflow through the case, and after a while gaming the temp rises and the throttling occurs ?
he says that temperatures are fine under load.

We asume that he has tested this properly for both GPU and CPU.
Also temperatures in the first screenshot look ok.
I am certain that the problem is down to him using the 125watt version of the cpu which is not support for his mobo, most mobo (mainly ATX mobo) have 2 cpu's power connectors for the higher watt cpu's but his mobo has only one power connecter which would be fine for the 89watt version.

It's got nothing todo with bad airflow or temperture problem at all, if the cpu is undervolted he would get the BSOD or windows locking up overtime with to much load on the cpu.
#30 - arco
I wonder if underclocking it to for example a 5000+ would make any difference?
6000+ is just a model.
You downclock frequency not model u know.
Tried it anyway, with no joys, I wonder if setting it on fire would work...
Quote from Bawbag :Tried it anyway, with no joys, I wonder if setting it on fire would work...

Yeah, for 5 seconds.
#34 - arco
Quote from Shadowww :6000+ is just a model.
You downclock frequency not model u know.

That's what I meant, downclock to same freq as a 5000+
Anyway, I think it's probably a mobo/cpu compatibility issue.

BB, it's the 0902 bios you installed? That's the latest as I can see.
If you haven't tried it, reset bios defaults to standard.
Back to the scummy 3800 now, maybe I should just set myself on fire.
Surely if the problem was that my motherboard wasn't compatible and it couldn't keep up with the power usage from the new CPU then it would fail as soon as any load was placed on it, not after 15 minutes?

It ran sweet as a nut on CoD with full resolution, until the inevitable.
Yes if the motherboard wasn't compatible it would most likely fail to boot at all... But you know... strange things hapen in computers

Did you try your new CPU with 1.4 or 1.45Vcore? Not nesseserily to keep it working at 1.45 but just to draw some more conclutions. (eg if this problem is realy cpu watt power related)

you said you tried to reduce the Clock speed... but still there are many ways to test the same thing.
I was speaking to my uncle whos a bit of a pc boffin tonight, he says all the PC's he's been building lately have had 600 or 650watt PSU's minimum. I'm gunna have a test later, plug in the old PSU and power the everything from that except the motherboard, leave that to the 500W PSU and see if the results are the same.

Anyway, i'll give some results soon'ish.
This idea won't work unless you short-circuit pins 13 and 14 on the auxiliary PSU, so be careful with that. Btw wouldn't disconnecting all unnecessary devices and leaving just MB, system HDD and VGA powered do pretty much the same? I still seriously doubt it's a PSU, I'd expect your PC to randomly BSOD under heavy load rather than throttle down erratically.
Quote from MadCatX :This idea won't work unless you short-circuit pins 13 and 14 on the auxiliary PSU, so be careful with that. Btw wouldn't disconnecting all unnecessary devices and leaving just MB, system HDD and VGA powered do pretty much the same? I still seriously doubt it's a PSU, I'd expect your PC to randomly BSOD under heavy load rather than throttle down erratically.

In every computer i have ever had my fingers (building them or whatever), throttling has only occurred when the CPU has been overheated. I have NEVER seen a computer that throttles due to being low on power.. unless the OS has a power saving feature that is on?

Have u tried, like someone else said, to only have motherboard, graphic and cpu in?
does it boot?
bsod? or just hang?
tried removing one or two sticks ram?

also tried to go into the bios and simply letting it sit there at the hardwaremonitoring screen? so u can see if the voltage dips, if the temp is hell of or anything? alot that u can do to check whats wrong tbh
The temperature has never been anywhere near it's operating temperatures simply because of the bigass cooler.

What's the point in disconnecting stuff and seeing what happens? The problem occurs when the PC is under load, IE playing a game, so I wouldn't be able to do anything like that to test it.

Well it might be a feature on my Mobo that when it's underpowered it drains power from the PSU or graphics card, i'm not sure now whether it's actually throttling or not, but it'es definetely draining something, like the graphics card.

Before I had an old ati 128mb card and moved up to a 8800gts 624mb card the pc done the exact same thing, would play for a while then would drop to around 10fps. I put in a bigger PSU and it was fixed, now I have the exact same problem and putting in a slightly bigger PSU actually helped the problem but didn't cure it completely.

So i'm pretty sure it is the problem, I was speaking to a pc boffin friend who said every PC he's been building or helping build has had no less than a 600w PSU in it, simply because the new processors are so power hungry.

Anyways, i'll try something, maybe find a bigger PSU to try in it and see if the problem persists.
#42 - arco
The motherboard isn't designed to support a 125w cpu. Simple as that.
Quote from Bawbag :...So i'm pretty sure it is the problem, I was speaking to a pc boffin friend who said every PC he's been building or helping build has had no less than a 600w PSU in it, simply because the new processors are so power hungry.

Anyways, i'll try something, maybe find a bigger PSU to try in it and see if the problem persists.

Well strange enough my computer runs fine on a 520w 80+% Coolermaster PSU.. and i have 4 hdds, an oc'd e8500, 4gb ram, 4x 240mm fans and a gtx260... never been CLOSE to using all the power my PSU can deliver.. so its strange that a "NEW" computer "NEEDS" 600w+... power hungry? checked the wattage on cpus lately? its not like its the cpu that need most of the power ..

and yeah, the things i said about "ripping" it apart, usually helps.. well for me anyhow, must be something wrong with my computer or my computer knowledge to do such a stupid thing.

EDIT: forgot to mention, CPU throttling is a "feature" (irritating feat, nevertheless a feature), for the CPU to make sure it doesnt overheat. And i cant understand how your computer can throttle if its not even close to overheating.. Oh well, pls post the solution once you get it working again.
Quote from arco :The motherboard isn't designed to support a 125w cpu. Simple as that.

I think this is indeed the problem. Strangely enough, it supports the 89W version of the Athlon 6000, but it doesn't say anywhere it supports a 125W CPU, so it's not guaranteed to operate at it's full potential if one is installed. Which is what's happening in this case. Bad luck I guess.
now that's a kick in the jewels.
Well I was just in the 24 hour of MoE, managed to get about 1 hour into my stint when I was put down to 10fps, once I got my replacement driver to join to take over it went back to normal. So I carried on, it happend again after about 5 mins...

This is on the 3800 2ghz which at it's hottest was 42deg.......

Feffe, sure taking it apart is a good thing to do if your trying to find a part which is broken, but it doesn't help when the only way to create my problem is to be using every component that is plugged into the motherboard.
Sure it must be a driver issue then from when you went over from xp to windows 7 then because either the driver are to old or it's down to mobo/gfx card issue then.
#48 - arco
I hope it's a clean install of 7, and not an upgrade as that usually is not optimal. But ye, make sure gfx drivers are up to date, and there's no virus 'n shit lurking.

That motherboard has an integrated gfx chip? If so, you could try to take out the 8800 card and run it on the internal one. Not sure if it's powerful enough to give you decent fps though.
Nah no onboard GFX, i'll give the card an update, if there is any.
#50 - arco
Hmm, says so in the spesifications.

Quote :M2V-TVM

- Socket AM2 for AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2/ Athlon™ 64/ Sempron™
- VIA® K8M890 + VIA® VT8237R Plus
- 2000 / 1600 MT/s
- Integrated VIA DeltaChrome GPU, Support Microsoft® DX9
- Dual-channel DDR2 667/ 533
- 1 x PCI Express x16
- 2 *IDE ,2 x SATA
- 10/100 LAN
- AC´ 97 6-Channel audio

Btw run Windows Update and take the optional updates (except language packs). Could be some driver updates there.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG