The online racing simulator
9800GTX+ 1GB vs Radeon 4890 1GB
(73 posts, started )
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Because 5870 is twice as expensive as 4870, and we're not all rich here.

Amen.

Well see, 5xxx prices will drop one day too. And im pretty sure that my HD4870 does the thing for quite a while now
Exactly, my 4870 isn't outdated yet, it'll last me at least 1 more year, maybe more. So there's no reason to upgrade yet.
Quote from Bluebird B B :Some people just keep living in the past.
Maybe stop looking for dinosaurs...

So where are working linux-x64 drivers with 3D acceleration support in present?

Quote from Bluebird B B :Anyway, nvidia and ati have about the same amount of divers issues.

Wrong, NVidia have working linux-x64 drivers with 3D acceleration support in present.

OFFTOPIC
Quote from Shadowww :So where are working linux-x64 drivers with 3D acceleration support in present?

Wrong, NVidia have working linux-x64 drivers with 3D acceleration support in present.

No i prefer solaris10, much more modern and more finished than linux. And linux is competing with unix, not microsoft windows unfortunatly . i hoped linux would replace windows as the dominant desktop OS). But instead, linux is taking out competitors to microsoft windows. For now, linux is commercially not important to develop and/or support games on with the exception of the serverside(dedicated servers). But windows is not as bad as it used to be, it can run a dedicated server for a game rather good now too. With the usual disavantages from the windows platform offcourse... wintendo.

anyway i had a quick look at the drivers-pages and release notes from ati (x64), looks rather good though, including crossfire support. Maybe you have the time to test it
Quote from Bluebird B B :OFFTOPIC

No i prefer solaris10, much more modern and more finished than linux.

lolololol
Why won't you just send binary codes to CPU, as user-friendly as solaris
Quote from Bluebird B B :anyway i had a quick look at the drivers-pages and release notes from ati (x64), looks rather good though, including crossfire support. Maybe you have the time to test it

I exchanged mine HD4850 to 9800GT long time ago
Shadowww, yes you're supporting nVidia but will you please just shut the **** up. You're being a knob and in the end of it all... you're still an AMD user which is ATi.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Shadowww, yes you're supporting nVidia but will you please just shut the **** up. You're being a knob and in the end of it all... you're still an AMD user which is ATi.

I am AMD user just because I got mobo+CPU from a friend (who upgraded his system) for free.
Of course.. Excuses... "I got it from a friend, he said it was OK!"....

That only works for illicit drugs, not such travesties as an AMD processor.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Of course.. Excuses... "I got it from a friend, he said it was OK!"....

Agree'd.

Inside, im a nvidia & intel fanboy too. But, i can live on with ATI (not sure about AMD, never had one). The real thing is that when i got my first ATI card (4870 1gb uberclocked) then i was really dissapointed, in a way that its not that bad as like Shadowww says. Didnt expect that much out of it. I like nvidia more, but since i got my ATI card - both brands stay at the same level for me. I have no issues with drivers, only few mis-compabiluty issues wich doesnt bother me at all. And shadowww, use windows, forget the linux pl0x.

Edit: And Shadowww, even NFS Shift worked for me but not for u because u are using Nvidia. Facts in the netz sayd that most Nvidia cards are not supported yet. I bet its fixed for now, but still. My Shift worked 100% fine from first start.
Quote from Shadowww :I am AMD user just because I got mobo+CPU from a friend (who upgraded his system) for free.

If you got a ATi card, you loved it too, and hated Nvidia. You just think the brand you have is the best. Fanboy.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Of course.. Excuses... "I got it from a friend, he said it was OK!"....

Nah, the thing is I got it for free instead of paying $200 for mobo+cpu.
Quote from Bose321 :If you got a ATi card, you loved it too, and hated Nvidia. You just think the brand you have is the best. Fanboy.

I did had HD4850 but I swapped it for 9800GT because NVidia actually can make working drivers.
Quote from hazaky :Edit: And Shadowww, even NFS Shift worked for me but not for u because u are using Nvidia. Facts in the netz sayd that most Nvidia cards are not supported yet. I bet its fixed for now, but still. My Shift worked 100% fine from first start.

So Electronic Arts fault is NVidia fault now?

I have made a game that works only on NVidia cards, now go cry in your corner
and that's another perfectly fine thread turned into a cockometer
I think al of you who are now puting up a b%%tch wifgt of Nvidea vs ATi are just pathetic.

Ge asked for andvice not a thread full of b**tching.

But on the advice side the 4890 is nice but it wont amke any sence in buying it if you have anything under a 20 inch monitor.

A 9800 is a nice card i looked up some becnhmarks on it and some specs and it IMo a good card.
But more suitable for gamers with smaller monitor IMO.
I made the switch in both the new rig and the old one. In the old replaced the BFG 9800GTX+ with a XFX HD4890, and I couldn't be happier. GTA4 actually runs very well on it now, on a dual core rig which I never thought possible.

As far as the new rig, I'm AMD all the way, but have always preffered Nvidia Gpu's. Well as of right now, NO. I went AMD/ATI all the way and I'm perfectly happy, there's no game or app I can't blaze through.

And for that ignorant comment on page 1, about comparing x to y when overclocking, and how stupid it is, it's called "PRICE". For the PRICE of a 5870 I got TWO XFX 4890's, put a 100mhz OC on the core of both of them (because they did this on TomsHardware.com and got a single 4890 to beat a GTX 285) and I'm perfectly happy now. I have my Cpu overclocked like mad and it's stable and cool and happy, and sick fast, more than enough to keep up to the Gpu's.

This thread turned in to a bunch of bs...I only wanted a few opinions. Well, I don't need them if people are going to act this way, besides, the proof is in the performance I get right now, which makes liars out of half the people in this thread.
Quote from Shadowww :

I have made a game that works only on NVidia cards, now go cry in your corner

Oh wow! What a complete nerd you are for being able to make a game compatible for one piece of hardware. Who cares!?!? What a sad life will you have, jeeeezzzz.

I suggest you staying off your pc for the next few weeks...

I'd take the cheapest one if i where you!
Quote from G!NhO :Oh wow! What a complete nerd you are for being able to make a game compatible for one piece of hardware. Who cares!?!? What a sad life will you have, jeeeezzzz.

And who cares about NFS Shit who runs crap on NVidia cards because AMD paid them a lot of moneys?

Who cares!?!?
Quote from Shadowww :And who cares about NFS Shit who runs crap on NVidia cards because AMD paid them a lot of moneys?

Who cares!?!?

Really get out of the pc world.
Quote from G!NhO :Really get out of the pc world.

That's what average noob says when he runs out of arguments.
Quote from Shadowww :That's what average noob says when he runs out of arguments.

See, i bet you are even using them internet talk in real life too.
Quote from Shadowww :And who cares about NFS Shit who runs crap on NVidia cards because AMD paid them a lot of moneys?

Who cares!?!?

It doesn't run crap on nvidia because AMD paid the makers, it's because Nvidia is crap.

And also, if someone pays someone it would be Nvidia. They pay all makers to optimize games for games, even on 3dmark. Google it up, quite interesting.
Like Nvidia forced assassins creed to make a new patch that removed DX10.1 because nvidia didn't have 10.1 cards, and were afraid ATi cards would look and perform alot better.
Quote from Bose321 :It doesn't run crap on nvidia because AMD paid the makers, it's because Nvidia is crap.

So you want to say mine onboard HD3200 is actually better than 9800GT?

It runs NFS: Shit on higher fps because NFS Shit wont work without 98 compat. mode on 9800GT. Sure, not EA fault at all
Quote from Bose321 :Like Nvidia forced assassins creed to make a new patch that removed DX10.1 because nvidia didn't have 10.1 cards, and were afraid ATi cards would look and perform alot better.

Forced? Since when they are The Law?
Can we get this thread locked please?

And, as much as I hate to throw gas on the fire, I actually have something to add that might help a few people here. On my 2nd rig, which is:
Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2 | 4GB 800mhz | ***BFG 9800GTX+***XFX HD 4890.

I bought NFS Shift about two weeks before the upgrade, and honest, it ran far better on the 9800GTX+ than my new 4890, before the 100mhz OC on the core tho. So... I dunno about some of the statements here, but I think it's the other way around, NFS Shift certainly favored Nvidia for me. But it could have been driver issues I don't know, the game was very new, still is new, and doesn't support DX10.1.

Regardless, that's what happened to me. Now please lock this thread. And I apologize for anyone having to see this shitstorm on account of me. Next time I'll just research and use my trust in TomsHardware rather than ask (They've never let me down, ever) I should have known better, I guess, that a flame war would ensue.
Quote from DHRammstein :Can we get this thread locked please?

And, as much as I hate to throw gas on the fire, I actually have something to add that might help a few people here. On my 2nd rig, which is:
Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2 | 4GB 800mhz | ***BFG 9800GTX+***XFX HD 4890.

I bought NFS Shift about two weeks before the upgrade, and honest, it ran far better on the 9800GTX+ than my new 4890, before the 100mhz OC on the core tho. So... I dunno about some of the statements here, but I think it's the other way around, NFS Shift certainly favored Nvidia for me. But it could have been driver issues I don't know, the game was very new, still is new, and doesn't support DX10.1.

Regardless, that's what happened to me. Now please lock this thread. And I apologize for anyone having to see this shitstorm on account of me. Next time I'll just research and use my trust in TomsHardware rather than ask (They've never let me down, ever) I should have known better, I guess, that a flame war would ensue.

Now I wonder why NFS Sh!ft can't run without win98 compat mode for me, got almost same PC. :3

Whats your OS?
I'm running Vista 32 bit on the old rig, which is the one that matters here. Newest drivers for both cards. I even tried several different drivers, some old, some beta, same issues.

In detail, on the Radeon, I'd get micro stutters randomly, and in certain corners it gets choppy, about 15fps. <This isn't random, it's certain corners on certain tracks. Otherwise the performance is about the same. On the new rig tho using fraps the frame rate is insane good, but those same micro stutters are there, and those certain corners that get extreme frame drops.

As far as the micro stutters, I can't say for sure, but as for the certain corners getting so choppy, it makes no sense, and I think has more to do with the game itself than the hardware or drivers.

Hope that helps in any way. I can't say much more on the topic because I've hardly touched this rig because I have my new one built and stable and running perfect. (I keep the second rig for friends, my girl, for classes and work, and she likes playing the Sims games )
Quote from DHRammstein :I'm running Vista 32 bit on the old rig, which is the one that matters here. Newest drivers for both cards. I even tried several different drivers, some old, some beta, same issues.

In detail, on the Radeon, I'd get micro stutters randomly, and in certain corners it gets choppy, about 15fps. <This isn't random, it's certain corners on certain tracks. Otherwise the performance is about the same. On the new rig tho using fraps the frame rate is insane good, but those same micro stutters are there, and those certain corners that get extreme frame drops.

As far as the micro stutters, I can't say for sure, but as for the certain corners getting so choppy, it makes no sense, and I think has more to do with the game itself than the hardware or drivers.

Hope that helps in any way. I can't say much more on the topic because I've hardly touched this rig because I have my new one built and stable and running perfect. (I keep the second rig for friends, my girl, for classes and work, and she likes playing the Sims games )

Haven't you tried to run it on x64 OS?

I wonder if it's Win7 or Win7 x64.

9800GTX+ 1GB vs Radeon 4890 1GB
(73 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG