The online racing simulator
High Quality Textures - Fern Bay (track+kerb)
As the title says this is the start of a project to increase the texture detail of LFS without changing the look and feel of the game, in this archive I have included high quality textures for the road surface and kerbs at Fern Bay.

I've doubled the size of the original textures and stretched them, but then I have added a detail texture at 24% opacity to give the effect of the texture having been designed at the higher resolution.

This method doesn't perhaps make greatest use of the increased texture detail opportunities but has the advantage of not changing the look and feel of the game.

The download is just over 5mb and will effect Fern Bay only. Please let me know what you think.

http://www.bansheestudios.com/ ... nBayHQ-Track&Kerb.zip

Overwrite the files in "LiveForSpeed\data\dds" directory

EDIT: Screenies
http://www.bansheestudios.com/img/FeG1.jpg
http://www.bansheestudios.com/img/FeG2.jpg
looks good
looks a bit pixelated ... but the textures fit together better than the original ones (less white lines across the road) so i think ill stick with yours
#4 - Jakg
can't wait to try this!
#5 - Honey
even with the detail "trick" the textures look much better than the originals.
making the comparison make more evident the "huge" lack of detail of the originals.
Also the performance impact was neither a fps...in other words: none!

even if adding detail artificially isn't the right way (Eric surely have the "masters" at much higher res), it proved to be better than originals...thanks for the work
thanks for the positive responses, i've already started on the tarmac+kerbs on the rest of the tracks. I'm about to turn in for bed so you wont get them tonight.

I think the grass & sand textures may require redrawing though as I dont think the layer trick will work. I'll have to experiment and see.

Some of the other textures may not be too hard to do, such as track signs and billboards. I might be able to do something with the trees too, as I could model some high res ones and render them.
Just wanted to say, thanks for putting some time in and improving them. Your modified textures blend in perfectly, and they do look noticably better.
can someone post a picture?
then again in some ways the lines issue has gotten worse ... in a few spots theres a noticably darker yellowish line across the road
On FE Club, coming up to T1, the white line affect doesn't seem as apparent, nor does it as you come out of the 2nd chicane. Still there though.
any screenshots beforehand?
Quote :On FE Club, coming up to T1, the white line affect doesn't seem as apparent, nor does it as you come out of the 2nd chicane. Still there though.

I have never suffered from this, you might get rid of it completely with the mip mapping slider in the graphics options. I'm glad you appreciete the improvement though
#14 - axus
Thanks so much Becky - I really like the technical corners of Fern Bay but the textures looked horrible, so I didn't race it much. Hopefully this will make me love it again.
Becky Rose, I think it is to do with the level of anti aliasing. From your screenshots you don't appear to run much, I'm currently running 4x. Without it, I don't have the problem. I'll have a play around with the mip mapping slider later.

Looking forward to any more updates you produce
Not sure which way round it is but i've got one of those AA/AF things on 16x and the other on 8x5 or something like that, i'll check when I get home.

If it's not working for some reason then I want to know why, but my last system was so old that i've nothing really to compare it too.
Your screenshots still have a bit of aliasing in - in the first pic look at the far wall that curves to the right.

Whereabouts should my mip bias slider be set to? Previously it was at -1.5, I tried moving it further to the right, didn't make a noticable difference, but I've only had a couple of mins to experiment with it.
I dont know and i'm at work at the moment, but I know I set it to one particular extreme.
Can someone make before/after screenshots?
I'll do some tonight when I make the rest of the track surfaces. Later I plan to look at other textures in the game too.
After on left, before on right.
very nice, becky I'm waiting for more textures
Quote from Becky Rose :Not sure which way round it is but i've got one of those AA/AF things on 16x and the other on 8x5 or something like that, i'll check when I get home.

certainly rather high af and supersampling aa ... shows all the effects of it inclusing the disappearing pit line
Lovely textures, all that white seams are gone

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG