The online racing simulator
SpeedTV's F1 Coverage & New FOM Overlays
(34 posts, started )
Anyone else having a horrible compression issue with the Speed TV coverage? I'm using Verizon FiOS TV in Long Island New York, and it looks so bad.

On another note, Formula One Management (FOM) has made new overlays for this season. Kinda looks web 2.0 ... Odd. Could some one post a HD image of the new overlays, with no compression? (I would really appreciate it)
I have no problem with Speed HD on Time Warner. Looks beautiful over here in Western NY.
Quote from UncleBenny :I have no problem with Speed HD on Time Warner. Looks beautiful over here in Western NY.

I shall call FiOS and complain, VERY LOUDLY! Also FiOS does not have SpeedHD, so I'll be complaining about that too.
... I wonder what HD you are talking about since FOM doesn't produce F1 coverage in HD. It's merely upscaled SD.

Must look like crap.
Quote from hyntty :... I wonder what HD you are talking about since FOM doesn't produce F1 coverage in HD. It's merely upscaled SD.

Must look like crap.

I did not know that ... So it's up scaled from EDTV or just Plain old SD? I would LOVE a pixel for pixel screen grab with no compression in it's native resolution.
The world feed is SD.
Bernie might produce a proper HD world feed next year. I guess it might be somewhat more difficult to produce F1 in HD than something like NASCAR (shorter circuit, no need to get the onboards and things so dinky). Supposedly F2 (as in Super Duper Formula Palmer Audi) will be available in HD (unsure if it is proper HD or simply upscaled, I suggest the latter).
#9 - wark
Quote from UncleBenny :I have no problem with Speed HD on Time Warner. Looks beautiful over here in Western NY.

My Time Warner doesn't have Speed HD.
:bump:

since no one ever posted any screencaps...
Attached images
STILL_0710_223605.png
STILL_0710_223615.png
STILL_0710_223846.png
STILL_0710_224028.png
I think SpeedTV uses a different intro for each race.
Quote from duke_toaster :Supposedly F2 (as in Super Duper Formula Palmer Audi) will be available in HD (unsure if it is proper HD or simply upscaled, I suggest the latter).

Eurosport produces WTCC and F2 in "Eurosport Nativ HD" whatever this supposed to mean.

Quote from hyntty :On a slighly different note, what kind of F1 intros do the broadcasting companys use (if any)? So far I've only compared bbc (which is quite awesome) and the local mtv3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0BipH_m5vE
this is the Trailer of Premiere Sports (German PayTV) and this style Premiere and now Sky Germany/Austria (actually the new name of Premiere) are also using for their intros.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZMnYi1Ducs
and this is the trailer of RTL (German Free TV) wich also got the rights for Live Broadcasting of F1.
Quote from hyntty ::bump:

since no one ever posted any screencaps...

aside from the warped aspect ratio, what's wrong with it?

edit: okay, i looked at the pictures again, and i think that the problem lies with the main FIA stream itself. if you blow up the images really big, you don't see any pixellation through the on-screen items... for example, look at webber's helmet compared to the mtv3 watermark, or the time board.

that said... during the quali today, they kept screwing with the aspect ratio, it went from 4:3 to 16:9, back and forth. no idea what they're doing.

(mind you that could be TSN doing that and not the f1 guys)
I decided to pay closer attention to the quality last night watching the practice. I too have horrible blurring of pretty much everything. I even switched the aspect ratio to normal on my widescreen, and it still looked pretty bad. Most other shows don't look that bad on Speed though.

I'm in central PA using a sister company of Pen Telle Data called CATV.
Quote from bunder9999 :aside from the warped aspect ratio, what's wrong with it?

edit: okay, i looked at the pictures again, and i think that the problem lies with the main FIA stream itself. if you blow up the images really big, you don't see any pixellation through the on-screen items... for example, look at webber's helmet compared to the mtv3 watermark, or the time board.

that said... during the quali today, they kept screwing with the aspect ratio, it went from 4:3 to 16:9, back and forth. no idea what they're doing.

(mind you that could be TSN doing that and not the f1 guys)

Had the same issue with TSN... It was rediculous... Had trouble seeing the qual order and all :S.
It depends on the local broadcasters (they have a part in doing the broadcast) too somewhat.
Today it was fine.
Quote from evilpimp :Had the same issue with TSN... It was rediculous... Had trouble seeing the qual order and all :S.

they did it again yesterday too... that's starting to get annoying... (why oh why did my cable company move speedtv to digital?)
here we haven't had such an issue. It stayed all the way through with 1024*576 (wich is 16:9). Might be a partial problem.
I missed the qual on saturday so I got it later from somewere else but for the race it was fine at least.
Quote from evilpimp :for the race it was fine at least.

as i don't get the practice sessions anymore, all i have to go by are the qualis and the races... the races are fine, it's just the qualis...

edit: added some photos... the last image is what it should look like. the others are from the past 2 qualis... actually they all are... dunno why the last one looks alright.
Attached images
vlcsnap-589084.png
vlcsnap-592212.png
vlcsnap-594255.png
vlcsnap-594464.png
vlcsnap-595688.png
If anyone knows how to get a direct copy of the world feed (I mean, uncompressed, direct from FOM) please send me a PM.
actually there is no way to get the World Feed, as it is only transmitted to the TV stations and the Track side video Walls...
Quote from TFalke55 :actually there is no way to get the World Feed, as it is only transmitted to the TV stations and the Track side video Walls...

I just had the hope that some one worked at one of these stations, and that they would accidentally save this information to DVD or something so I can get an compressed look at the data.

(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG