The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :Have you tried turning off the overclocking?

I don't mean to be rude but it has happened so many times in the past, some people who are overclocking have freezes and crashes. And they always deny that the overclocking could possibly have anything to do with it.

Well, maybe they just give overclocking a bad name, but yeah I can't really consider anything to be a bug, if it's on a overclocked computer.

well, i've never had any problem with any other games... i'm gonna turn the OC'ing Off just to make sure it has nothin to do with it..
Well, that may be because other games are usually GPU-intensive, leaving the CPU at a reasonable temp. LFS asks a lot of your CPU, which might lead it to (over)heat up more than with other games...
Quote from silent_wind :well, i've never had any problem with any other games... i'm gonna turn the OC'ing Off just to make sure it has nothin to do with it..

I once overclocked radeon 9800 pro and had red alert 2 (the name of a game) crashing because of that. First I thought it was software related because it crashed at exactly same place/time in the game, but then it turned out to be overclocking. I don't say this is the case with you here, but sometimes symptoms make it look like it is software related, when in fact it turns out to be hardware(OC or faulty) caused.
Quote from Scawen :Would you mind posting a SPR of this bug happening?

Please make it happen as near to the start of the replay as possible. to save me time testing. And drive "reasonably" so that it's a real situation, where the suspension is too weak. Please don't use Aston, any other track will do.

I want to try and do a fix, where an updated version has stronger suspension, but can still view S/T/T2 replays with weaker suspension. Your replay will help me set the level correctly, and to check that the new version does not go OOS when watching the old replays.

I can't promise that this will work out but it may be possible, so it's worth a try.

Let's give it a shot

This is at KY2R, in the very beginning on the oval part. The setup used is the setup that came with the patch.

Just a slight forced understeer in the corner. The LWR part flickers on the front suspension and there is small damage. I can do bigger damage, but it will take more time I was actually quite surprised how easily I could damage it...?

File attached.

EDIT: used latest patch (T2)
Attached files
susp_damage.spr - 3.8 KB - 339 views
Quote from TagForce :Oh my, not only are you trying to create the perfect sim...
You're going for the perfect software.

/Me likes what Scawen is trying to accomlish
#56 - shim
Scawen, ive checked me event logger within XP, cause i have been gettin crashes now and then (since the new patches), and according to the event viewer, its Xfire thats causing it for me..

Faulting application lfs.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module xfire_toucan_19304.dll, version 1.0.0.19304, fault address 0x000201af.

if ya need more info bout this mate, gimmme a hola somehow and ill try and see wha i can do for ya
Quote from shim :Scawen, ive checked me event logger within XP, cause i have been gettin crashes now and then (since the new patches), and according to the event viewer, its Xfire thats causing it for me..

if ya need more info bout this mate, gimmme a hola somehow and ill try and see wha i can do for ya

I think it's known that xfire can cause some troubles with LFS. Was it bob smith who found a trick how to do it...? Don't remember the trick though
Quote from Bramski :I've been getting this crash error since the S patch, I tried T and T2 and I'm still getting it. I tried running the Dr.Watson program in the background to get some information on the crash but it's not giving me anything. All I have is this screengrab of the crash address.

Hmm, that turns out to be a mysterious crash, in the middle of the skid drawing code. But that's a reliable part of the program and is old and unchanged. So that's very confusing. Please can you try to get some more crash addresses or watson logs - to see if they are the same or if they vary? Is your computer overclocked at all - if so please try running with it not overclocked - I wouldn't want to spend time looking for a "bug" just because a cpu is making mistakes...
Quote from shim :Scawen, ive checked me event logger within XP, cause i have been gettin crashes now and then (since the new patches), and according to the event viewer, its Xfire thats causing it for me..

Faulting application lfs.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module xfire_toucan_19304.dll, version 1.0.0.19304, fault address 0x000201af.

where can i bring up that windows logger ?
Scawen, Great to see you staying on the ball regarding bugs

I have one bug to mention I don't believe affects many people, but its really annoying. I use a manual clutch pedal and a homebuilt shifter, but for my throttle/brake I'm using DFP pedals. I cannot heel/toe drive these without a painful ankle after a short while, so in past versions I have used the throttle blip on downshift option, but it goes invisible when using a manual clutch now. Any chance you can make it remain visible? Its very hard to keep the car stable without it on some configurations and is ruining the experience a bit for me. Other than that, great work
#61 - shim
right click my computer/manage/event viewer/application
Quote from shim :right click my computer/manage/event viewer/application

i couldnt find any error related to the game or the time i was runing LFS when it crashed..

i tested withno overclockin whatsoever..the game still crash randomely as i stated before. well, i think im gonna give up here..hopefully somethin will be done and if not i'll move to somethin else.
I odd habit I get though with the patch S(then T and T2) is that sometimes shifting up, it misses changes, even when I seem to hold it for quite a while and let go (1 sec-ish) I reverted back to patch Q and didn't experience this behaviour but it's very common for me in patch S and later. Any ideas?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I odd habit I get though with the patch S(then T and T2) is that sometimes shifting up, it misses changes, even when I seem to hold it for quite a while and let go (1 sec-ish) I reverted back to patch Q and didn't experience this behaviour but it's very common for me in patch S and later. Any ideas?

yeah, read whats changed list for bf1 patch.
Quote from silent_wind :i couldnt find any error related to the game or the time i was runing LFS when it crashed..

i tested withno overclockin whatsoever..the game still crash randomely as i stated before. well, i think im gonna give up here..hopefully somethin will be done and if not i'll move to somethin else.

Make sure your system is stable. Run Prime95 for 24 hours, if it gets no errors then the proc is fine, then run memtest for 24 hours, no errors and it's fine (though you could do 12 hours on each, more often then not if it finds no errors after 12 hours then it won't after 24).

One of the biggest problems with OC'ing for too long is it does minor damage to the CPU, RAM, GPU, and many other parts which get clocked, which never show up until it has to crunch a lot more maths then under normal use. LFS being the proc eater it is, I find it is a great system stabality test.
-
(Zero7) DELETED by Zero7 : Not relevant to thread topic...
great to see you are fully working on test patches (bugfixes) again. Almost looks like the old days
Quote from Scawen :For patch S, I changed something in the skin downloading, related to users with the wrong time and date on their computer, forcing other people to repeatedly download skins and the skins not appear. I don't know if that may be related to it. LFS does not download "skins from the future" any more. We'll see I guess.

Maybe victor remembers me with that trouble with the "future skins"
Quote from Scawen :Hmm, that turns out to be a mysterious crash, in the middle of the skid drawing code. But that's a reliable part of the program and is old and unchanged. So that's very confusing. Please can you try to get some more crash addresses or watson logs - to see if they are the same or if they vary? Is your computer overclocked at all - if so please try running with it not overclocked - I wouldn't want to spend time looking for a "bug" just because a cpu is making mistakes...

I'll be having a good session later this evening Scawen, I'll collect as much info as I can when it crashes and post it in here.

One thing I have noticed about the skids (which has always happened since I started playing in October) Is that some skidmarks shoot right up into the sky after a while and you can see a big black line heading skywards, I'll get a screenshot of it in-game so you can see what I mean.

My machine is all stock, no oc's and I have adequate cooling and ventilation.
Here's a new one. I wasn't actually driving when this happened, I was setting up a race against the AI when it booted me to deskto pwith this error.

(Ver. T2)

[edit] I also found this info relating to the last crash in the xp event viewer.
"Faulting application lfs.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000122ba."

Another 12 crash errors in the viewer relate to this address
"Faulting application lfs.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module lfs.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00097adb."
Attached images
error2.gif
Quote from Bramski :I'll be having a good session later this evening Scawen, I'll collect as much info as I can when it crashes and post it in here.

My machine is all stock, no oc's and I have adequate cooling and ventilation.

Would be nice if you would also check if you have WHQL drivers installed.The drivers didnt get WHQL certification just for fun.

I know its quite a lot of work but the best way would be to format and install your system again with approved drivers.Then adding programs might show where the issue is.
It does sound like you're having some pretty weird problems unique to your system?

Have you run memtest and prime95?

I know you're running stock, but still, at least then CPU/RAM can be eliminated?
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Would be nice if you would also check if you have WHQL drivers installed.The drivers didnt get WHQL certification just for fun.

I know its quite a lot of work but the best way would be to format and install your system again with approved drivers.Then adding programs might show where the issue is.

I have WHQL 6.14 Catalyst drivers installed. I can run LFS on another backup HDD I have with a fresh XP install on it to see if it still crashes but to be honest I have just about every other sim installed on my machine and none of them give me crashes so I don't want to go formatting and reinstalling just yet, even though LFS and RBR is all I really play these days
PLEASE GIVE ME AUTO BLIP on Downshift back!!!
My pedals cannot take Left foot braking and neither can my lower back after 3 major surgeries! - not sitting in a chair anyway.

Why did you take it away? Now I cannot use my clutch pedals anymore.

- a guy using auto clutch can use it- but when I make the game harder by having to push in the clutch for every single shift, I cannot use it? I do not get that.

Quote from letdown427 :It does sound like you're having some pretty weird problems unique to your system?

Have you run memtest and prime95?

I know you're running stock, but still, at least then CPU/RAM can be eliminated?

I'll give prime a whirl mate as I have that installed. The strange thing is though is that LFS was rock solid for me before the recent update. Plus I have a lot of other games installed and none of them give me any hassle apart from Oblivion, but that seems to be crashing fpr a lot of people on their forums who have a broad spectrum of hardware configs.
Quote from Bramski :I'll give prime a whirl mate as I have that installed. The strange thing is though is that LFS was rock solid for me before the recent update. Plus I have a lot of other games installed and none of them give me any hassle apart from Oblivion, but that seems to be crashing fpr a lot of people on their forums who have a broad spectrum of hardware configs.

I'd forgotten the bit about the worked fine before recent update. Although you said it was doing some weird tyre mark flying off into the sky thing?

Sounds illepall

Hope you get to the bottom of it!
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG