The online racing simulator
I really like the section behind the driver's head of the McLaren, and just the general wind-sculptedness of it.
They all look pretty good from the side (front wheels backward).

For comparison - Ferrari

Can't be bothered to post more You get the idea.

PS: How skinny would the back ends of the Mc and Toy look without those fins? The Fer is rather bulky by comparison.
Quote from Intrepid :With all due respect the Stowe circuit at Silverstone is a barely big enough for karts let alone an F1 car - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VUpLME4ujSQ - even a decent driver would have struggled getting and F1 car around.

A little off-topic, small world eh! Daniel Borton is in that video, used to race him in cadets!

Not too keen on the rear wings of these new cars but reserve judgment until the first race of the year. Last time they made fundamental changes to improve overtaking in 05, they went backwards and made it even harder to follow another car closely...

Keiran
looks pretty good i think. also, that algarve track looks quality.
They seem to move around under the driver even more than last years cars too, as one would expect with the new regs. I'm really looking forward to the new season TBH.
yeah i must admit that seeing the cars in their "natural habitat" makes the wings look a lot better, certainly at that angle the fact that they have less elements etc makes the front wings look less bulkey that last years multi element units and you don't really notice how slim the rear is. i suspect thogu that we will all notice how wide the front wings are at the first bend of the season's races.

even if you don't like the look, it certainly looks like the rules have changed the turbulence for the best
Quote from Tezuka :Check out the wake difference between the 2009 cars and the 2008 STR3 at race speed.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/ ... 3282977&postcount=205

That's interesting, and there is probably a genuine difference, but it is exaggurated by the fact that the shot of the 2008 car has the sun shining into the wake, making it look more dense than the others.
Quote from DaveWS :That's interesting, and there is probably a genuine difference, but it is exaggurated by the fact that the shot of the 2008 car has the sun shining into the wake, making it look more dense than the others.

Sun or no Sun.
The Torro Rosso throws up more water then the others.
Maybe the track was wetter
Plus with the sun, and being zoomed out further of course it's exaggerated. It's what we expected though I suppose so I won't argue.

That 09 wing is firing the air up much more abruptly the 08 car wing does. How all this actually makes it easier for the car behind to follow I'm not certain, but I guess 'huge low front wing' in the turbulence from 'small high rear wing' is better than 'small high front wing' in turbulence from 'huge low rear wing'.
Quote from sinbad :Maybe the track was wetter
Plus with the sun, and being zoomed out further of course it's exaggerated. It's what we expected though I suppose so I won't argue.

That 09 wing is firing the air up much more abruptly the 08 car wing does. How all this actually makes it easier for the car behind to follow I'm not certain, but I guess 'huge low front wing' in the turbulence from 'small high rear wing' is better than 'small high front wing' in turbulence from 'huge low rear wing'.

I know whats even better

no rear wing will cause less turbulence for no front wing
Quote from Intrepid :I know whats even better

no rear wing will cause less turbulence for no front wing

Honda once did a Desert run with their car, with only 2 flaps at the back of the car.
Hows about this for a rumor then (found on another board)...

Quote :**RUMOUR ALERT**

Now, I'll make this quite clear, this is a rumour based on a few weird sources that I can't link - I'm just posting it here for poseterity in case it turns out to be true (and somoene has probably already posted the same somewhere in this thread).

Mclaren Mercedes engine builders tasked to build FOUR extra engines up, which Mclaren don't need.
Fry, Ross Brawn and Schumacher seen at a hotel somewhere in Northampton shire last week .
Honda to be bought out by a Fry, Brawn, Schumacher conglomerate - paperwork and funding 95% complete.
Announcement to be made this Friday.

Doesn't sound too unbelievable to me.
Thanks for the heads up, that's great news if true.
The new spec cars look old school in a kind of weird an demented way. They do grow on you, I agree with DaveWS though, the Williams is the best looking car so far. The Toyota isn't bad either in my opinion.
Where's Hamilton??
Eeeh, did Red Bull share their boat already?
that was a great presentation. not as nice as the willams though still imo
Weird thing is, seeing that rear wing "in action" I don't hate it as much. Even though it is just a computer model, I guess just the fact that its moving makes you not stare at the wing so much, and overall I think the cars look really good this year.
Pitcher of RB5
Attached images
RB5.JPG

2009 spec. Formula 1 Cars
(667 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG