The online racing simulator
Gearbox damage
(8 posts, started )
#1 - serpa
Gearbox damage
Hi everyone. I am aware of the fact that gearbox damage is a "big issue" and it has come into question a couple of times. I've been reading about some new ideas and changes related to this, but all in vain. I gotta ask myself the question: will it ever be implemented ? Will I ever live to see that my shifter goes wrong if I fail to depress the clutch before the shifting process or if I attempt to put the gearshift lever into reverse while moving forward ? not to mention the crunching noise...
It is well-known that engine damage and clutch overheating do exist in LFS and I appreciate these realistic features but there's something that needs to be carried out, and this is the GEARBOX damage.
It is my hope that will work well in lfs soon
(in spite of this, lfs is still the very best racing game. I guess everyone agrees with me on this.)
You can not put the car in reverse while it is going forward, it will just make a nasty noise. If you do get it into reverse, all it will do is shift-lock when you pull out the clutch.

It's actualy very hard to damage the gearbox from making a mestake, most of the time gearbox failures come from faulty parts or stress in the materials used to make them. I have seen gears frag inside a transmission, but it only happend once, and it was caused by a defective gear.
lol i have seen alot of gearbox's fail but thats due to the cars puting out ALOT more power then the gearbox is manufactured for.

i broke 2nd gear in my car just after geting a FMIC and 15psi cant beat the sound of a striped gear
I also would like to see about getting transmission system damage here. I often find myself carelessly shifting the gears and making MANY mistakes, yet I don't correct myself because I know there are no repercussions if I continue...

I learned how to shift a lot more smoothly in other sims after a shattered a few gears. It kinda added a new challenge and was fun to find the limits of the gears.
#5 - serpa
anyways, does stalling a car damage the transmission ?well i'm absolutely certain about the fact that it will cause damage to your car sooner or later but in what way ? when I was driving as a learner my instructor's car broke down in traffic (but before that something inside the car was clanking and creaking when you upshifted) and soon it turned out that the stub axle had been damaged (by amateurs). it's parly because, most of them release the clutch abruptly and the car cuts out or jerks every now and then.
well , the point I'm trying to make is we shouldn't feel free to stall whenever we want to in lfs. Stalling should cause damage as well. and if that is the case let me ask you all a question related to this stalling stuff. Is it bad for any parts of your car to stop without pressing down on the clutch (in gear). of course it results in stalling but it's just a way of stopping your engine
I often stop my bike without pulling the clutch in, it doesn't hurt anything at all. Repeatedly stalling it by letting out the clutch to fast can hurt the clutch and some things connected to it at either end, but it shoulden't do internal damage to the engine.
#7 - SFL
Quote from DragonCommando :Repeatedly stalling it by letting out the clutch to fast can hurt the clutch and some things connected to it at either end, but it shoulden't do internal damage to the engine.

I think you'll have to do that more times than you will ever have time for in a LFS race.
not that gearboxes don't break under certain circumstances... but - as has been mentioned before - you wouldn't really have the opportunity to break it in LFS as long as you drive half decent.
for me this is quite similar to the clutch-heat-feature. although it CAN happen in real life it really doesn't very often and not under the circumstances you meet in LFS.
you could also add cylinder head gasket wear - and it'd totally fail after 60'000 km or so - which would obviously be totally irrelevant.

generally, there'd be a lot of more or less cool features from RL that could be added for the sake of realism but are totally redundant for what you do with your car in LFS.

of course that'd be very different if we had something like damage records. so your tranny or whatever would show a little wear after dozens of races and would finally go out of service *dream* ...

Gearbox damage
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG